First Round Targets for Miami | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First Round Targets for Miami

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Here's some potential 1st round targets for Miami. I'm listing players who are generally in that late first round range.

Offensive Line
Troy Fautanu G/T Washington
Amarius Mims T Georgia
Jordan Morgan T Arizona
Cooper Beebe G Kansas State
Sedrick Van Pran C Georgia

Wide Receiver
Brian Thomas WR LSU
Xavier Legette WR South Carolina
Troy Franklin WR Oregon

Corner
Kalen King CB Penn State
Denzel Burke CB Ohio State

Safety
Kamren Kinchens S Miami
Tyler Nubin S Minnesota

Linebacker
Jeremiah Trotter LB CLemson

Defensive Line
Jared Verse Edge Florida State
J.T. Tuimoloa DE Ohio State
Mason Smith DT LSU
T'Vondre Sweat DT Texas

Notes
Fautanu would probably be my best guess right now as someone with a physical and versatile skillset, who is projected at guard.

Kinchens is usually gone in draft simulators, but when he's there I take him. I believe Fangio wants to add a safety, although first round may be too rich. I can dream on pairing Holland and Kinchens.

I think Miami needs a big, physical wide receiver to pair with Hill and Waddle. But I keep coming back to Franklin, who J-off-her-doll alerted me to. This guy gets easy separation.

The one player I'd trade up for if he starts slipping is Bowers. Can you imagine defending Miami with Hill, Waddle and Bowers in the passing game?

A trade down seems more likely. That's where Beebe an Van Pran could come into play.

Based on data on nfldraftbuzz, this is where I stand on those:

Offensive Line
Troy Fautanu G/T Washington 6-4, 317, 5.20 40 ❌ Guard only, Too slow, round 4 +
Amarius Mims T Georgia 6-7 340, 5.30 40 ✅ First round, pending combine and tape review
Jordan Morgan T Arizona 6-5 325, 5.30 40 ❌ Guard only, Too slow, round 4 +
Cooper Beebe G Kansas State 6-4, 335, 5.32 40 ❌Guard only, Too slow, round 4 +
Sedrick Van Pran C Georgia 6-4, 310, 5.27 40 ❌Too slow, Late date 3

Wide Receiver
Brian Thomas WR LSU ✅ First round
Xavier Legette WR South Carolina ✅ First round is okay
Troy Franklin WR Oregon ❌ Light frame

Corner
Kalen King CB Penn State 5-11 191, 4.50 40 ❌Too slow for NFL
Denzel Burke CB Ohio State 6-1 190, 4.50 40 ❌Too slow for NFL

Safety
Kamren Kinchens S Miami 6-0, 205, 4.45 40 ✅ Draftable, not in first round tho.
Tyler Nubin S Minnesota 6-2, 210, 4.60 40 ❌Too slow for NFL

Linebacker
Jeremiah Trotter LB CLemson 6-0, 230, 4.60 40 ❌Too slow for the frame

Defensive Line
Jared Verse Edge Florida State 6-4, 260, 4.59 40 ✅ First round, pending combine
J.T. Tuimoloau EDGE Ohio State 6-4, 270, 4.62 40 ✅ First round, pending combine
Maason Smith 34DE LSU 6-6, 315, 4.80 40 ✅ First round, pending combine
T'Vondre Sweat DT Texas 6-4, 362, 5.05 40 ✅ First round, pending combine (I doubt he will run 5.05 at 362 lbs)

Last edited:
Here's some potential 1st round targets for Miami. I'm listing players who are generally in that late first round range.

Offensive Line
Troy Fautanu G/T Washington
Amarius Mims T Georgia
Jordan Morgan T Arizona
Cooper Beebe G Kansas State
Sedrick Van Pran C Georgia

Wide Receiver
Brian Thomas WR LSU
Xavier Legette WR South Carolina
Troy Franklin WR Oregon

Corner
Kalen King CB Penn State
Denzel Burke CB Ohio State

Safety
Kamren Kinchens S Miami
Tyler Nubin S Minnesota

Linebacker
Jeremiah Trotter LB CLemson

Defensive Line
Jared Verse Edge Florida State
J.T. Tuimoloa DE Ohio State
Mason Smith DT LSU
T'Vondre Sweat DT Texas

Notes
Fautanu would probably be my best guess right now as someone with a physical and versatile skillset, who is projected at guard.

Kinchens is usually gone in draft simulators, but when he's there I take him. I believe Fangio wants to add a safety, although first round may be too rich. I can dream on pairing Holland and Kinchens.

I think Miami needs a big, physical wide receiver to pair with Hill and Waddle. But I keep coming back to Franklin, who J-off-her-doll alerted me to. This guy gets easy separation.

The one player I'd trade up for if he starts slipping is Bowers. Can you imagine defending Miami with Hill, Waddle and Bowers in the passing game?

A trade down seems more likely. That's where Beebe an Van Pran could come into play.

Nice list. I’m thinking interior OL and TE right now as the top needs but I don’t expect a TE early give the lack of options. DL/edge could be a big need too if CW departs, along with the expected loss of AVG coupled with Phillips’s injury.

I definitely won’t be upset if somehow Brock Bowers was a Dolphin. If we’re picking in the 22-24 range and he makes it past 8/9ish certainly not out of the realm of possibility. We’ll have some extra picks next year so I’ll move 2025 assets all day to find cheap contributors in 2024.

I could see the Jets grabbing BB, especially if the top OTs are gone when they pick. They could fall out of the top 10 this week. Interesting game this week between the Commanders and Jets. Both teams desperately need LTs and they are picking 4th and 6th right now. I am rooting for the Jets to win that one and screw themselves.

Nice list. I’m thinking interior OL and TE right now as the top needs but I don’t expect a TE early give the lack of options. DL/edge could be a big need too if CW departs, along with the expected loss of AVG coupled with Phillips’s injury.

I definitely won’t be upset if somehow Brock Bowers was a Dolphin. If we’re picking in the 22-24 range and he makes it past 8/9ish certainly not out of the realm of possibility. We’ll have some extra picks next year so I’ll move 2025 assets all day to find cheap contributors in 2024.

I could see the Jets grabbing BB, especially if the top OTs are gone when they pick. They could fall out of the top 10 this week. Interesting game this week between the Commanders and Jets. Both teams desperately need LTs and they are picking 4th and 6th right now. I am rooting for the Jets to win that one and screw themselves.
Bowers is a move the needle type. I know Miami has needs to fill, but why not keep adding difference makers if you can?

The Dolphins had Achane fall into their laps in round three, so it's not always just early picks.

That's really the difference between Miami and the Jets. Nobody on that New York offense keeps DC's up at night. Bowers is a good call for the Jets if they don't move up for a quarterback.

I don’t know what my man in the 2nd post is talking about with Jeremiah Trotter.

He’s a f*cking monster. Im a Clemson fan as many of you know so I’ve watched every play of his career. Looking at stats and numbers can fool you and it’s why so many busts happen in the draft.

Watch the game tape… I don’t care what Trotter does or runs in the underwear Olympics. That dude can flat out play football.

He looks just like his daddy who by the way was an all pro NFL LB multiple times.

It would be extremely difficult for us to pass on Trotter IF he was there when we come on the clock. We have serious need at ILB and Trotter is the best ILB available.

He’s always around the football and is better in coverage than what you’d think. He’s a football player. You can almost never go wrong drafting a pure football player. Dude eats sleeps and sh*ts football.

Also a very… very intelligent kid. Very nice… “yes sir/yes ma’am” type of kid to everyone. We could do a lot worse than Trotter in round 1 but I believe we’ll probably settle on yet ANOTHER OL in round 1. Yes we need it but man it gets old using 1st round picks on OL.

I don’t know what my man in the 2nd post is talking about with Jeremiah Trotter.

He’s a f*cking monster. Im a Clemson fan as many of you know so I’ve watched every play of his career. Looking at stats and numbers can fool you and it’s why so many busts happen in the draft.

Watch the game tape… I don’t care what Trotter does or runs in the underwear Olympics. That dude can flat out play football.

He looks just like his daddy who by the way was an all pro NFL LB multiple times.

It would be extremely difficult for us to pass on Trotter IF he was there when we come on the clock. We have serious need at ILB and Trotter is the best ILB available.

He’s always around the football and is better in coverage than what you’d think. He’s a football player. You can almost never go wrong drafting a pure football player. Dude eats sleeps and sh*ts football.

Also a very… very intelligent kid. Very nice… “yes sir/yes ma’am” type of kid to everyone. We could do a lot worse than Trotter in round 1 but I believe we’ll probably settle on yet ANOTHER OL in round 1. Yes we need it but man it gets old using 1st round picks on OL.
I know Long is playing well, but Miami could use a long-term answer at MLB.

I like Trotter a lot. Pretty rare for the Dolphins to draft a linebacker in the first, though.

Trotter is not a 1st rounder and Miami taking a LB in R1 would be just awful, especiallyin such a weak Lb class.

OL is obvious but we will have to wait to see who will reasonably be on the board when the Fins pick. I doubt Mims is still there but Fautanu and Morgan could be there.Maybe Barton from Duke as well.Beebe and Van Pran are more likely 3rd rounders than 1sts.

I would not be looking WR that high unless the board falls badly for Miami but all there of your guys would work there, although Legette and Franklin would be too rich for me.

I like Nubin a lot and pairing him with Holland wold be great, but S would be a luxury pick. Don't care for the CB's who will likely be there.

Verse is your only DL guy likely to be a 1st rounder but I find Sweat in R2 to be very intriguing.He would be a huge(literally)addition to the defense.

Fautanu and Morgan are very good fits for the Fins scheme and while many project Fautanu inside I think he has the length to play OT and could play LT in Miami which would keep him from being Tua's blindside protector. Morgan has the agility and feet to be perfect in the outside zone.

But even now it is too early to confidently project what the back third of the 1st round is going to look like so we are just guessing at who might be there.

I also would like to see the Fins move back and add more Draft ammo as they need to add some cheap young talent to this top heavy payroll.

Trotter is not a 1st rounder and Miami taking a LB in R1 would be just awful, especiallyin such a weak Lb class.

OL is obvious but we will have to wait to see who will reasonably be on the board when the Fins pick. I doubt Mims is still there but Fautanu and Morgan could be there.Maybe Barton from Duke as well.Beebe and Van Pran are more likely 3rd rounders than 1sts.

I would not be looking WR that high unless the board falls badly for Miami but all there of your guys would work there, although Legette and Franklin would be too rich for me.

I like Nubin a lot and pairing him with Holland wold be great, but S would be a luxury pick. Don't care for the CB's who will likely be there.

Verse is your only DL guy likely to be a 1st rounder but I find Sweat in R2 to be very intriguing.He would be a huge(literally)addition to the defense.

Fautanu and Morgan are very good fits for the Fins scheme and while many project Fautanu inside I think he has the length to play OT and could play LT in Miami which would keep him from being Tua's blindside protector. Morgan has the agility and feet to be perfect in the outside zone.

But even now it is too early to confidently project what the back third of the 1st round is going to look like so we are just guessing at who might be there.

I also would like to see the Fins move back and add more Draft ammo as they need to add some cheap young talent to this top heavy payroll.
I think moving back is a real option.

Obviously, free agency will play a huge part. I hope Miami keeps Wilkins. To me, that has to be the free agent priority. But if the team goes in another direction there, Sweat is very intriguing.

I think moving back is a real option.

Obviously, free agency will play a huge part. I hope Miami keeps Wilkins. To me, that has to be the free agent priority. But if the team goes in another direction there, Sweat is very intriguing.
I expect Ogbah to be gone so a bigger DE like Dorlus from Oregon could be a R2 option as well.

Even with a late 1st, I think you have to consider positional value when you make this pick... so I'm still going to focus on the expensive positions where we also have a need in 2024 and 2025.

So... I'm not trading up for a TE, a Safety, a RB, or a Guard... I'm just not. These positions can be filled with decent FAs for 5m/year. Hell, I'd be reluctant to take one at #32 unless he was a generational talent.

I might take an off-ball LB or a Center... maybe, but only if I thought he'd be a day one starter.

So I'm really looking for a QB/OT/WR/DT/Edge or CB. This year... and every year.

We have Tua, so that's out. Hill and Waddle... so only if I get a gift. Wilkins would exclude a DT...

Cam Smith, Kohou, even Bonner maybe... I'm probably not taking a Corner.

Tackle or Edge are my go to positions in the first. Unless we lose Wilkins...

Even with a late 1st, I think you have to consider positional value when you make this pick... so I'm still going to focus on the expensive positions where we also have a need in 2024 and 2025.

So... I'm not trading up for a TE, a Safety, a RB, or a Guard... I'm just not. These positions can be filled with decent FAs for 5m/year. Hell, I'd be reluctant to take one at #32 unless he was a generational talent.

I might take an off-ball LB or a Center... maybe, but only if I thought he'd be a day one starter.

So I'm really looking for a QB/OT/WR/DT/Edge or CB. This year... and every year.

We have Tua, so that's out. Hill and Waddle... so only if I get a gift. Wilkins would exclude a DT...

Cam Smith, Kohou, even Bonner maybe... I'm probably not taking a Corner.

Tackle or Edge are my go to positions in the first. Unless we lose Wilkins...
Makes a lot of sense.

Plus, it's going to be tough to keep Van Ginkel, and Ogbah is almost certainly gone. Then you have to factor in Phillips. Will he be ready for opening day and, if so, will he be close to the player he was? Edge looks like a significant need.

As to tackle, Guyton in the second could work. Although I think he'll be a riser. I'm also intrigued by Smith at LT. He's looked pretty good there.

The talent at wide receiver could fit your "gift" description as well.

Makes a lot of sense.

Plus, it's going to be tough to keep Van Ginkel, and Ogbah is almost certainly gone. Then you have to factor in Phillips. Will he be ready for opening day and, if so, will he be close to the player he was? Edge looks like a significant need.

As to tackle, Guyton in the second could work. Although I think he'll be a riser. I'm also intrigued by Smith at LT. He's looked pretty good there.

The talent at wide receiver could fit your "gift" description as well.
It could... but I fear that by spending a high pick on another player who'd land behind two established players... we'd see yet another situation where we just wouldn't be able to use a drafted player for a couple of years... and fans would cry... a lot.

I think WR is a better 2025 target than 2024 target, but I wouldn't scream if the right guy fell down a round and we stole him.

It could... but I fear that by spending a high pick on another player who'd land behind two established players... we'd see yet another situation where we just wouldn't be able to use a drafted player for a couple of years... and fans would cry... a lot.

I think WR is a better 2025 target than 2024 target, but I wouldn't scream if the right guy fell down a round and we stole him.
Probably. Unless you get someone who actually wins that third wide receiver position. I could see that happening.

We lose Hunt and Williams I am definitely in for a difference maker inside. Lots of trash and injury concerns on the free agent market. Plus we are going to be drafting very late in the first I hope.

Back
Top Bottom