Fitz is fun to watch but its time for Tua | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fitz is fun to watch but its time for Tua

There's one thing no one seems to talk about and its the fact that in less than 2 months, Tua will not have seen a meaningful football snap for a full year. I get that you want to ease him in, but at the same time, you dont want him losing his edge.

Even NFL vets take some time to adjust after long absence from the game, not only will Tua need to adjust to live bullets football, he'll need to adjust going from college ball to NFL ball.

Im not saying I know what the anwser is, but its something to think about. One thing is for certain imo, if the Fins plan on having a rush heavy offensive plan like they did against the Jags, then I sure as hell would rather have Tua in there than Fitz.

You can have a run heavy offense when your QB completes 90 percent of his passes (and goes nearly the entirety of the first half before failing to complete one) and you get out to a large lead because the other team can't keep you out of the end zone.

You can have a run heavy offense when your QB completes 90 percent of his passes (and goes nearly the entirety of the first half before failing to complete one) and you get out to a large lead because the other team can't keep you out of the end zone.
... and cant score. Im not sure what point you are trying to make but let me elaborate on mine.

Fitzpatrick sucks when he's playing from behind(75 compared to 88 league average rating), is a bit below average when tied(88.6 compared to 92) and a bit below average when he's playing with a lead(92.1 compared to 95) which is typical of not great/elite QBs. Fitzpatrick is also a completely different QB depending on if its a play action or not. 95 rating from PA compared to 81.6 from no-PA.

So you could see how the Jags game ended up being a perfect storm for him. Fins got a lead all game long, were able to get away with a 20/36 pass/run ratio and still won the game comfortably. As soon as the Fins face a good QB that can put up points on the board, you'll get the old Fitztragic 9 time out of 10...

... and cant score. Im not sure what point you are trying to make but let me elaborate on mine.

Fitzpatrick sucks when he's playing from behind(75 compared to 88 league average rating), is a bit below average when tied(88.6 compared to 92) and a bit below average when he's playing with a lead(92.1 compared to 95) which is typical of not great/elite QBs. Fitzpatrick is also a completely different QB depending on if its a play action or not. 95 rating from PA compared to 81.6 from no-PA.

So you could see how the Jags game ended up being a perfect storm for him. Fins got a lead all game long, were able to get away with a 20/36 pass/run ratio and still won the game comfortably. As soon as the Fins face a good QB that can put up points on the board, you'll get the old Fitztragic 9 time out of 10...

QB's who are good form the play action ARE the NFL these days. You've got QB's who have huge contracts mostly because they can handle the PA game or the RPO game.

QB's who are good form the play action ARE the NFL these days. You've got QB's who have huge contracts mostly because they can handle the PA game or the RPO game.
Most NFL QBs are more efficient throwing from PA but the good ones dont have that big of a difference... Just this year, Fitzpatrick has a 166 rating when throwing PA compared to 81.2 when otherwise. If you're telling me that dude doesnt benefit from playing with a lead against teams who cant score isnt his best case scenario, I just dont know what to tell you...

Most NFL QBs are more efficient throwing from PA but the good ones dont have that big of a difference... Just this year, Fitzpatrick has a 166 rating when throwing PA compared to 81.2 when otherwise. If you're telling me that dude doesnt benefit from playing with a lead against teams who cant score isnt his best case scenario, I just dont know what to tell you...

Point is you're really nitpicking. We all know the faults of Fitz longterm but this roster also has a ton of faults and he gives the team the best chance to win when they can field neither a consistent running game or defensive effort and also have questionable passing game weapons and an inexperienced offensive line.

Point is you're really nitpicking. We all know the faults of Fitz longterm but this roster also has a ton of faults and he gives the team the best chance to win when they can field neither a consistent running game or defensive effort and also have questionable passing game weapons and an inexperienced offensive line.
Thats not true, both games where the running game and D were failing, Fins lost... Im not nitpicking, Fitzpatrick is not a good QB, and the dude is the NFL king of sample size, there's no ifs and buts, he's been through 8 teams, played in 159 games throwing the ball 4884 times under who knows how many different OCs and has a losing record, never played in a playoff game and sucks in pretty much any QB metric you could think of...

He did have a great game against the Jags in yet another throwaway season, as you guys like to call it... Yay!

Thats not true, both games where the running game and D were failing, Fins lost... Im not nitpicking, Fitzpatrick is not a good QB, and the dude is the NFL king of sample size, there's no ifs and buts, he's been through 8 teams, played in 159 games throwing the ball 4884 times under who knows how many different OCs and has a losing record, never played in a playoff game and sucks in pretty much any QB metric you could think of...

He did have a great game against the Jags in yet another throwaway season, as you guys like to call it... Yay!

Sure, it was Fitz's fault that the team lost in Buffalo despite him throwing for 328, two TDs, and no picks, and the D giving up over 400 passing.

Sure, it was Fitz's fault that the team lost in Buffalo despite him throwing for 328, two TDs, and no picks, and the D giving up over 400 passing.
If you think the Buffalo game was a good enough QB performance... Are you guys related or something?

I don't think anyone believes Fitz is elite, or even above average. Do we really need statistical analysis to agree on that?

Skill Positions
The offensive skill positions (QB, WR, TE and RB) aren't the guys really in a learning phase, it's the non-skill positions (OL) who are. Yes, Preston Williams (WR) and Mike Gesicki (TE) are in the learning phase. You can make the case for other players too such as WR's Isaiah Ford and Jakeem Grant, but those guys do not play as much. Ditto for young TE's like Smythe and Shaheen. While an argument can be made that our RB's (Gaskins in particular) is still in the learning phase ... typically RB's have almost no learning curve. Their only real learning curve is learning to pass protect, and I think it's safe to say that this will never be a strength of Gaskins or Breida. So really, just Preston Williams and Mike Gesicki as skilled position players in the learning phase. .
You realize in 11 personnel, that's 5 out of the 6 that are young non-veteran players? (Gaskin, Geisicki, Williams, Ford, Tua himself). And in other formations probably about the same or worse. Probably more accurate to say only Devante is not :) And absolutely pass-pro for an RB is key, esp on 3rd down....Gaskin back there having to learn the blitz pickups/etc is an additional wild card similar to having a rook on the OL.

I do think that in terms of the bigger point of playing Tua, this convo made me see more the lack of a true safety valve...a veteran who gets open easily with sure hands...Edelman, Ertz, Landry, that type of player...

You realize in 11 personnel, that's 5 out of the 6 that are young non-veteran players? (Gaskin, Geisicki, Williams, Ford, Tua himself). And in other formations probably about the same or worse. Probably more accurate to say only Devante is not :) And absolutely pass-pro for an RB is key, esp on 3rd down....Gaskin back there having to learn the blitz pickups/etc is an additional wild card similar to having a rook on the OL.

I do think that in terms of the bigger point of playing Tua, this convo made me see more the lack of a true safety valve...a veteran who gets open easily with sure hands...Edelman, Ertz, Landry, that type of player...
True, it is a different perspective.

That's certainly one way to look at it. Here is another. Of the players likely to play significant time, only Williams and Gesicki qualify. Or another way of looking at it might be .. in 11 personnel, that's 1 RB and 1 TE, which again, would be Gaskins and Gesicki. Given my caveats in the original post ... RB's don't really have much of a learning curve and neither of those guys is a rookie. So ... maybe not a ton of young skill positions.

I agree that it is a matter of perspective. But compared to the OL, where we have 4 of the 5 players all being new, 2 being rookies, and all 5 players playing next to new teammates, and all 5 playing for a new coach and in a new city ... I just think the spot where we have new players and youth is the OL moreso than the skill positions.

Differing points of view. These are some of the things that make this board great.

If you think the Buffalo game was a good enough QB performance... Are you guys related or something?

You know, kind of looks like Buffalo is a legitimately dominant team this year. Only QB whose been the least competitive against them was Fitz.

Back
Top Bottom