Fitz is fun to watch but its time for Tua | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fitz is fun to watch but its time for Tua

I’m not saying anything negative about Ryan Fitzpatrick I love to watch him play he makes watching dolphins football fun again. That being said this team it’s not winning a Super Bowl with Ryan Fitzpatrick. My biggest fear with pudding Tua in early in the season what is the play of the offensive line. Through three games the line has proven they are adequate and can provide pass protection. Now that we know they can play and not get the quarterback killed it’s time to bring in the future. TUA we have a couple extra days to prepare for Seattle now is the time to make the move

Go Dolphins

LargeRegalEelelephant-small.gif

Exactly I was saying when they release Rosen and exactly what I been saying if Tua isnt TRULY healthy.

Tua is healthy, all of these theories are crazy. So if Fitz goes down are they going to insert and emergency QB? Forget crazy injury theories, Tua is not playing because right now, right or wrong, Flo believes Fitz gives us the best chance to win period. It’s really that simple.

Burrow is playing because Cincy has nothing else.

Herbert is playing but Lynn also believes Tyrod gives than the best chance to win.

This is simple guys whether we agree or not. There are no conspiracies

Crazy suggestion by the OP. That team would turn on coach Flo so quickly if he did that. Those players love Fitz.

I am all for playing Tua if he gives the team a better chance to win. Hiding him or not playing him against a good team etc is all dumb. However, Fitz clearly gives the team a better chance to win. That was almost a perfect performance, his teammates play hard for him. As soon as the team feels Tua gives a better chance to win, he is up.

I saw some posts I had to chuckle. I saw a resident expert attempting to knock Fitz last night bc a throw to Grant (a completion) was wide. The poster didn't mention the Flowers was pushed into the Qb lap, and a throw behind Gesicki that went through his hands. 20 Passes were looking for 2 one was a big gain one a drop, LOL. I didn't notice that post mentioning FItz running it in for a score, extending a drive with a 4th down run, or picking up 16 to extend a drive on another play.
There is a whole hell of a lot more to QB play than the speed of the ball and finding a pass or two that wasn't placed perfectly, sadly some still don't understand feel for the game, and situational awareness. Its like deja VU

Yeah man I don’t understand feel for the game or situational awareness.

If you gonna take a shot at me don’t do it this half ass way.

But my question to you is, if Tua is not 100% healthy then why is he #2 right now and only one play away from having to go in there? If the team is worry that he's gonna get hurt further by having to play then why aren't they carrying one more QB so that if our 38 years old QB gets hurt they don't need to play Tua?

Either he is 100% healthy or flores is totally playing with fire and made a big mistake. It has to be one or the other but it can't be both so which one is it?
If you are asking me to make a ruling on HOW healthy Tua is ... I don't think I am the right person to make that call. But whomever is (team doctors and trainers?) will be sharing that info with the coaching staff. We can agree that this is a reasonable assumption.

I disagree with your binary decision that either he is 100% healthy or he is not fit to be the backup, because the reality is that most football players carry some injuries, and by the end of hte season almost all carry some injuries. Being 100% healthy has never been the criteria of whether someone is on the depth chart or not, so I don't think it is a requirement for Tua. But I'm not on the coaching staff, so I can't say for sure how they determine those things.

If you're asking me to speculate ... OK, here are possible speculative scenarios. Perhaps Tua is 90% there but there is still a risk of re-aggravating that injury .. but it is not a huge risk. That's just off the top of my head. Perhaps there are conflicting advice on how long the team should wait before putting him in? Perhaps Tua is only 70% ready, but the risk of re-aggravating that injury is very low, so while he can play now and not really risk re-injury .... he may not be at optimal physical condition to succeed? Perhaps Tua can play safely, but cannot generate enough arm velocity to make all the throws. IMHO, all of those situations might merit moving on from Josh Rosen and listing Tua as our backup, but still prevent him from being healthy enough to start. Those are all just off the top of my head. Like I said before, we can see from his throw velocity that he is not fully healed. I am not doctor, and I cannot say whether he risks re-injury or is ready to take his shot at starting now. We rushed Josh Rosen in before he was ready and before our OL was ready, and now we released him only a year after having spent a high draft pick to acquire him ... and part of his issue is that his confidence is shot.

No idea why Tua is OK to be a backup but not a starter. But I can tell he isn't fully healthy by his poor velocity right now. I also believe that putting a QB in when the OL sucks or he isn't physically ready can be counter-productive. But our OL has shown competence so far, and if it continues, my view on playing Tua gets rosier. But Fitz is looking good behind this OL, so I'm not for throwing Tua in too early ... because his physical development is more important in the long term. I like what Andy Reid did with Patrick Mahomes. We may not have an Andy Reid on staff ... but Tua is a pretty good decision maker, so if we let him get healthy and build a team around him, I believe he can and will be successful.

Not sure if that answers your direct question to me ... but that was asking me to speculate and I speculated, so hopefully it did.

But my question to you is, if Tua is not 100% healthy then why is he #2 right now and only one play away from having to go in there? If the team is worry that he's gonna get hurt further by having to play then why aren't they carrying one more QB so that if our 38 years old QB gets hurt they don't need to play Tua?

Either he is 100% healthy or flores is totally playing with fire and made a big mistake. It has to be one or the other but it can't be both so which one is it?

I am totally spit balling here so take what I write with a grain of salt.

I know a lot of you won't subscribe to conspiracy theories but I seriously don't think Fitz would be in if there wasn't something going on.

Tua is 100% medically cleared, but Flores must believe that what he's seeing in practice from Tua is about as equivalent as what he's seeing from Fitz. So he is probably waiting for the rookie to get bigger, stronger etc.

Flores probably feels like with the play being the 'same' that Tua can afford to sit until he gets better. I can't say what 'better' means because I am not Flores. However whatever Flores is seeing from Tua its not good enough to unseat Fitz. It could be that simple. If Flores wants to 'win now' to save his job he just trusts Fitz more to screw up less. Obviously those fans buying the hype that Tua is HOF material, being told that Tua cant beat out a 37 yr old Fitz, even as a rookie, is not good to hear.

Now, you can at that point come up with even more what if 'theories', non of which are positive, such as thinking we are tanking again although not as bad as last season.

You could think that Tua's rumored super low Wonderlic score (I think it was a 13 in 2018 then 19 in 2020 pre-draft? - which brought him back close to the average of 20) has affected his learning of the offense.

On the one hand they seem confident enough to have dropped Rosen like a bad habit, but then again they don't seem to want Tua to get any game experience at all at this point, not even like last night when you are up by 3 TDs late in the game.

Say what you will about no pre-season. But I seriously doubt we would've seen much of Tua at all even if there had been a pre-season. Rosen would've gotten A LOT of work and we might've seen Tua by the 4th pre-season game. Remember in all of those practices he had, even the scrimmage, QBs were not to be 'touched'.

All of this isn't to make a judgement of how Tua will perform one way or the other....but in the here and now...today...the way the team is dealing with him makes you really wish you could be a fly on the wall and hear what's going on internally because Fitz isn't Marino and Tua isn't Scott Secules so....

If you are asking me to make a ruling on HOW healthy Tua is ... I don't think I am the right person to make that call. But whomever is (team doctors and trainers?) will be sharing that info with the coaching staff. We can agree that this is a reasonable assumption.

I disagree with your binary decision that either he is 100% healthy or he is not fit to be the backup, because the reality is that most football players carry some injuries, and by the end of hte season almost all carry some injuries. Being 100% healthy has never been the criteria of whether someone is on the depth chart or not, so I don't think it is a requirement for Tua. But I'm not on the coaching staff, so I can't say for sure how they determine those things.

If you're asking me to speculate ... OK, here are possible speculative scenarios. Perhaps Tua is 90% there but there is still a risk of re-aggravating that injury .. but it is not a huge risk. That's just off the top of my head. Perhaps there are conflicting advice on how long the team should wait before putting him in? Perhaps Tua is only 70% ready, but the risk of re-aggravating that injury is very low, so while he can play now and not really risk re-injury .... he may not be at optimal physical condition to succeed? Perhaps Tua can play safely, but cannot generate enough arm velocity to make all the throws. IMHO, all of those situations might merit moving on from Josh Rosen and listing Tua as our backup, but still prevent him from being healthy enough to start. Those are all just off the top of my head. Like I said before, we can see from his throw velocity that he is not fully healed. I am not doctor, and I cannot say whether he risks re-injury or is ready to take his shot at starting now. We rushed Josh Rosen in before he was ready and before our OL was ready, and now we released him only a year after having spent a high draft pick to acquire him ... and part of his issue is that his confidence is shot.

No idea why Tua is OK to be a backup but not a starter. But I can tell he isn't fully healthy by his poor velocity right now. I also believe that putting a QB in when the OL sucks or he isn't physically ready can be counter-productive. But our OL has shown competence so far, and if it continues, my view on playing Tua gets rosier. But Fitz is looking good behind this OL, so I'm not for throwing Tua in too early ... because his physical development is more important in the long term. I like what Andy Reid did with Patrick Mahomes. We may not have an Andy Reid on staff ... but Tua is a pretty good decision maker, so if we let him get healthy and build a team around him, I believe he can and will be successful.

Not sure if that answers your direct question to me ... but that was asking me to speculate and I speculated, so hopefully it did.
Well I get what you're saying and I agree is hard for NFL players to be 100% all the time. What I'm saying is if Tua is healthy enough for this staff to decide that he's one play away from getting in there then that means he's ready to go from a being healthy standpoint. He might not be game ready to start with no OTA's and no per season games so I can understand the logic of not playing him. I was not on the start Tua from week one group. But I'd like for him to start at least 8 games this year if possible. We all know that we're going nowhere with Fitz or with Tua for that matter this year but getting him out there in real games would help him a lot next year and beyond.

I am totally spit balling here so take what I write with a grain of salt.

I know a lot of you won't subscribe to conspiracy theories but I seriously don't think Fitz would be in if there wasn't something going on.

Tua is 100% medically cleared, but Flores must believe that what he's seeing in practice from Tua is about as equivalent as what he's seeing from Fitz. So he is probably waiting for the rookie to get bigger, stronger etc.

Flores probably feels like with the play being the 'same' that Tua can afford to sit until he gets better. I can't say what 'better' means because I am not Flores. However whatever Flores is seeing from Tua its not good enough to unseat Fitz. It could be that simple. If Flores wants to 'win now' to save his job he just trusts Fitz more to screw up less. Obviously those fans buying the hype that Tua is HOF material, being told that Tua cant beat out a 37 yr old Fitz, even as a rookie, is not good to hear.

Now, you can at that point come up with even more what if 'theories', non of which are positive, such as thinking we are tanking again although not as bad as last season.

You could think that Tua's rumored super low Wonderlic score (I think it was a 13 in 2018 then 19 in 2020 pre-draft? - which brought him back close to the average of 20) has affected his learning of the offense.

On the one hand they seem confident enough to have dropped Rosen like a bad habit, but then again they don't seem to want Tua to get any game experience at all at this point, not even like last night when you are up by 3 TDs late in the game.

Say what you will about no pre-season. But I seriously doubt we would've seen much of Tua at all even if there had been a pre-season. Rosen would've gotten A LOT of work and we might've seen Tua by the 4th pre-season game. Remember in all of those practices he had, even the scrimmage, QBs were not to be 'touched'.

All of this isn't to make a judgement of how Tua will perform one way or the other....but in the here and now...today...the way the team is dealing with him makes you really wish you could be a fly on the wall and hear what's going on internally because Fitz isn't Marino and Tua isn't Scott Secules so....
Well, anything is possible but I'll say this about Flores. Him starting Fitz to try to win some games now won't help him keep his job if all he wains is 4 or 5 games with Fitz. He should be smart enough to know that he's not going far with Fitz as his staring QB. All this about creating a winning culture won't fly if you're winning 5 or 6 games a year regardless of how bad the roster was last year. We did get very lucky on 2 of those wins last year btw. He should know that this is about the future and not about winning an extra game or two this season. If he can win the east with Fitz at QB then he's proven me wrong and I will give him props for that.

Tua should not start vs Seattle after that game last night but the smart thing to is is to start getting Tua ready for our future and that should start at some point this season.

Tua would have to be lighting it up in practice, like really showing a difference, and I am not hearing that. He might not be super human. Ten months from a very serious injury, more time is a luxury Fitzpatrick brings to the team.

Well I get what you're saying and I agree is hard for NFL players to be 100% all the time. What I'm saying is if Tua is healthy enough for this staff to decide that he's one play away from getting in there then that means he's ready to go from a being healthy standpoint. He might not be game ready to start with no OTA's and no per season games so I can understand the logic of not playing him. I was not on the start Tua from week one group. But I'd like for him to start at least 8 games this year if possible. We all know that we're going nowhere with Fitz or with Tua for that matter this year but getting him out there in real games would help him a lot next year and beyond.

I agree 100%. I mean the reality is that if you sit Tua all year long then really, next year is Tua's rookie year, at least from a real game experience standpoint.

Yeah you can argue that he got experience on the sidelines and in practice over a true rookie, but anyone that has ever played or coached this game knows that practice does not fully emulate a real game situation.

So, its a little frustrating the way they are acting because your mind starts to wonder if the kid really is a china doll, and will he break after a couple of sacks, then the merry go round of QBs continues.

Again, I think a lot of it is the hype that was created around this kid ever since he was in Alabama. It was all centered around him taking the NFL by storm from day 1. It was a great marketing strategy. But it wasn't like Tua didn't perform at Alabama, because he did, so he backed up the hype as much as he could.

Looking ahead I am not really sure at this point that we will see him at all should Fitz stay somewhat consistent. Good game, bad game, wont matter. It seems like Fitz would have to string together like 4 bad games or more to get taken out (but who knows I could be wrong). I've stated it before that its as if there's this fear of something bad happening with this kid whether its health wise or just that he cant match the hype performance wise.

I don't believe that you should play football afraid, as a player or coach. You go out there and you give it your all, no fear. If the kid plays great, great, if he doesn't, he doesn't. If defenses figure him out then I guess we will see if the kid can take on that challenge and succeed like the greats have, or if he will shrink like many before have. However we are talking about millions of dollars at stake and careers at stake. If the coaching staff and GM can extend the viewing of this player until they cant hold it off anymore to give them the highest chance of him succeeding, and they get to keep their jobs, then I have to believe they will hold off as long as they can.

Well, anything is possible but I'll say this about Flores. Him starting Fitz to try to win some games now won't help him keep his job if all he wains is 4 or 5 games with Fitz. He should be smart enough to know that he's not going far with Fitz as his staring QB. All this about creating a winning culture won't fly if you're winning 5 or 6 games a year regardless of how bad the roster was last year. We did get very lucky on 2 of those wins last year btw. He should know that this is about the future and not about winning an extra game or two this season. If he can win the east with Fitz at QB then he's proven me wrong and I will give him props for that.

Tua should not start vs Seattle after that game last night but the smart thing to is is to start getting Tua ready for our future and that should start at some point this season.

I agree. However, if you were to try and extend your job here I wouldn't put it past them to give the excuse that this year, Tua needed a mulligan due to the injury. It would buy the staff an extra year.

An extra year gives everyone an extra year of paychecks.

After this year....you might be able to argue that if next year its a struggle its because Tua needed to catch up to the speed of the game.

So I wouldn't expect Flores to be on the hot seat until year 4...and even then Ross has never shown to pull the trigger quickly so it'd be more like the warm seat.

The whole Flo on the hot seat, worried about his job is ridiculous at this point, IMO.

Last season was a throwaway. I know it, Flo knows it, Grier knows it, but most importantly, Ross knew it.

3 games into this season, and he's not playing Tua to protect his job?

Not buying it......

I disagree with that. If the Dolphins lose their next three games against the Seahawks, 49ers, and Cardinals and are sitting at 1-5, I think you might see Tua start the game against the Chargers at home in Week 7.

Makes sense. He’s one scrambled eggs fitz hit away from taking over. Keep going helmet to helmet there fitz and you will speed up the process.

plum crazy. Probably more plum crazy than tough.

Flo ain’t worried about his job but grier might be.

Do I think flo would sit tua to shelter Grier? Doubt it.

Do I buy fitz gives us the best chance to win over the course of this season at qb? **** no

Back
Top Bottom