Fitzpatrick opens up about Tua/Flores relationship | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fitzpatrick opens up about Tua/Flores relationship

My first thought was “how does Fitz know MM’s approach?” Anyway, totally agree w you. That said, Fitz would know what Flores style was and it did seem to be tough love for everyone from Tua to Minkah to Kenny Stills etc.
I’m not debating that Fitzpatrick didn’t know the coaching style of Flores. He played under him for 2 years, so he certainly knew the method Flores had as a head coach. I also agree with him that MCDaniel seems better suited for Tua.

My only complaint was it appeared that Fitzpatrick was trying to tell us how Tua felt about playing under Flores and only Tua really knows how he felt about Flores.

I’m not debating that Fitzpatrick didn’t know the coaching style of Flores. He played under him for 2 years, so he certainly knew the method Flores had as a head coach. I also agree with him that MCDaniel seems better suited for Tua.

My only complaint was it appeared that Fitzpatrick was trying to tell us how Tua felt about playing under Flores and only Tua really knows how he felt about Flores.
Fair yes I was agreeing w you that Fitz is now paid to be a talking head

"(McDaniel's) all about preaching confidence to a guy and building him up, rather than trying to break him down," Fitzpatrick said. "And I think that's translated well, so far to the field."

Fitzpatrick, who played with Miami in Tua's rookie season of 2020, noted essentially that Flores really believed in tough love and intense mental challenging and that it may have added more stress than necessary.

"I really do think a lot of this early success, is the way he's being coached and the relationship that he has with the head coach," Fitzpatrick said. "Because I think that was a huge sticking point and something that just was difficult for him in the first few years."

"And I don't want to speak for him. But I'm sure it's evident to everybody the way that Mike McDaniel has come in and embraced Tua and made sure that he knows that he's the guy and that he's loved and that they're on the same team, and trying to have success together. I think that's been really helpful for his mentality."

Thank you Captain Obvious. Friggin Fitz.

Did you actually read the article? Fitz sounds like he's rooting for Tua to succeed and he's stating the bleeding obvious, that Mike McDaniel's offensive system and his visible support of his QB is in stark contrast to Flo's "tough love".
BTW - I'm still of the belief that Fitz was a terrific transition QB for the Dolphins and his contribution to the team in difficult circumstances cannot be understated. I also hope that he succeeds in the media.
Yes, I read it before it was posted.

He's a smug POS. I didn't like him before he was on the Dolphins, I didn't like him when he was on the Dolphins, and I sure as sh*t don't like him now.

Once again, F*ck Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Last edited:

He's a smug POS. I didn't like him before he was on the Dolphins, I didn't like him when he was on the Dolphins, and I sure as sh*t don't like him now.

i didn't like him before he was on the dolphins.

hated the situation the dolphins were in when we signed him.

loved him for the team player and gutsy guy he appeared to be for awhile.

now despise him that his true colors have shown and he is just a dirty, disengenuous kunt.

I think Fitzpatrick has been spot on with his comments towards Tua and the Dolphins.

Even his evaluation of Tua as a player, which some fans had trouble with.

The way I see it, Tua is to quarterbacking what Greg Maddox was to pitching. Maddox knew he wasn't throwing a low 90's fastball by hitters. He had to hit the corners, mix up his pitches, prepare, be cerebral. That's Tua as a quarterback.

And anyone who doesn't believe Tua's arm is strong enough just has to see his rifle touchdown throw to Cracraft.

I think Fitzpatrick has been spot on with his comments towards Tua and the Dolphins.

Even his evaluation of Tua as a player, which some fans had trouble with.

The way I see it, Tua is to quarterbacking what Greg Maddox was to pitching. Maddox knew he wasn't throwing a low 90's fastball by hitters. He had to hit the corners, mix up his pitches, prepare, be cerebral. That's Tua as a quarterback.

And anyone who doesn't believe Tua's arm is strong enough just has to see his rifle touchdown throw to Cracraft.
The problem with that comparison, is that Tua's arm is stronger comparatively than a Maddux fastball in the 90s.

Tua's arm has been underrated due to him recovering from the hip injury. Watch his early college days, no one ever mentioned whether it was strong enough or not. And everyone can see the significant improvement in horse power from this year to last. He's gonna put that narrative to bed this season.

And he's only gonna get stronger as he starts to hit his physical prime.

This is harsher than my own views, but not far off. The guy was a mediocre journeyman QB and progress stopper for our franchise who played the role of A+ teammate but actually was quite competitive and protective of his starting role.

I don’t really have anything against him, but I don’t understand why anyone remembers him any more fondly than, say, Matt Moore.

The problem with that comparison, is that Tua's arm is stronger comparatively than a Maddux fastball in the 90s.

Tua's arm has been underrated due to him recovering from the hip injury. Watch his early college days, no one ever mentioned whether it was strong enough or not. And everyone can see the significant improvement in horse power from this year to last. He's gonna put that narrative to bed this season.

And he's only gonna get stronger as he starts to hit his physical prime.
I definitely don't think his arm is an issue. It's not as strong as Allen's, but not many are.

My only issue with Fitz is that for a Harvard grad, you would think he would have the self-awareness to know that he was brought in here to be a placeholder QB. The Dolphins were in a rebuild and were going to draft a QB with their first pick in the draft. They signed him as a FA to fill the spot until the Dolphin brass thought the new kid was ready.

Was he pulled too quickly for Tua? Possibly. But should it have been a total blindside to him? I don't think so. It's a shame too because I could have seen him filling in as Don Strock 2.0. The savvy backup QB who helps the new upstart get acclimated to the NFL and develop into an All Pro.

Regarding Flores and his treatment of Tua, much ado about nothing. Between Tua's father and Nick Saban, Tua has had plenty of tough love and I'm sure Flores' head trips didn't have too much of an effect on him. Where Flores failed Tua, and the team as a whole really, was never making a final decision on a quality OC and then getting out of the OC's way and let him do his thing.

Flores is a dickhead and for some reason he's protected by most of the NFL media so analysts aren't talking about how much better Tua looks without him. If it was any other coach they would be getting slammed for holding back a young QB.

Tough love doesn't work with the snowflake generation. Youngsters these days seem to require the arm around the shoulder technique.

Flores is a dickhead and for some reason he's protected by most of the NFL media so analysts aren't talking about how much better Tua looks without him. If it was any other coach they would be getting slammed for holding back a young QB.
Agree that media is staying clear of the Flores angle. I'm hopeful that with continued Tua and team success, some stories start to service about how Flores interfered with his development.

Back
Top Bottom