Fitzpatrick Starting | Page 29 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fitzpatrick Starting

Short sighted? We were all OK with the kid healing up and learning the system, ala Mahomes. What changed? The line is still gelling, work in progress, the draft has not brought any new shiny toys yet and he had no preseason. Look we are not drafting another QB so lets put this one in the best possible position, how is that being shortsighted? As for true threat, who knows unless you get a chance? That is a loser mentality. What do they say about the lottery? You can't win unless you play. Whos scares you other than KC? Maybe we lose but there is nothing like the playoffs. Every year it's "wait until next year" or we watch our team lose and hope we get a good draft choice just so the FO blows it.

Screw that, give me the playoffs and the rest will take care of itself.
What changed is Flores put Tua in after back to back wins where the offense looked competent. It showed me that he understood that his career is likely tied to the development and success of the young talented highly drafted QB and not to squeaking into the playoffs every so often. If he is pulling the plug on the kid because of performance and not injury, than he might not be around long enough to ever see another playoff appearance.

That's all fine and good. I sort of feel the same way as you especially if I knew that Flores is being honest about Tua's injury, but because of the way he handled Tua at the end of the Denver game and how secretive and misleading he has been in the past, it's hard to trust that this move was purely about Tua's thumb. And if it isn't purely about Tua's thumb, he is setting the development of this franchise back at the expense of winning a few more games in the short term.

Don't disagree. It is the significance of the injury that seems to be the basis on much of this debate. As I said, I don't doubt the injury, but admit I don't know the significance.

Two points. 1) If there were NO injury, I would be surprised if that falsehood wasn't exposed by an 'unnamed' source. Maybe TT's family or agent. 2) You are right - if TT hadn't been pulled, the controversy would be minimal. I'm struggling, though, with hindering his development. One game a hinderance? I have serious doubts. Damaging TT's psyche? Nope. Now, if RF continues to start, I'm with you. All this is preparing TT for '21 and I expect good things to happen. Sitting the remainder of the season would have a direct negative affect on '21

Sadly, it seems there are black and white people here. I was hoping Miami would draft TT, wanted him to start (not game 1), and think he's shown significant flashes. He just needs to cook a little more. BUT, because I want to win and want RF to play well, some accuse me or those like me of wanting RF back or sabotaging TT. No middle ground. I'm all in on TT or I'm not a fan of his. Some go so far as wanting RF gone because he's a threat to TT. I guess their ideal backup would be Pat White.

Personally, I believe TT has a thumb injury and I believe it's serious enough to cause some concern. Serious enough he can't play? No idea. Serious enough Flo has opted to give it a week to heal? Likely. Do I think Flo is damaging TT's career? I'm not that far removed from reality.
Well stated, but likely falling on deaf ears.

The forum could be so much more enjoyable, without the "either or" mentality.

Pipe dreams? Wet dreams?

Someone seems awfully hurt.

2rMcid_0XibF6Mp00

I have no idea what you're doing on here to be honest. I'm sure there's a Bengals forum somewhere.
There was several of us last year saying burrow was better before they faced off head to head. that was when we were in the driver's seat for burrow. I took a lot of heat for speaking my mind on here. Joe burrow didnt disappoint. Tua played well in a mop up duty type game. But the fact that tua was injury prone and had trouble evading pressure at the college level always concerned me. I hope he does well for us but I really doubt he will be better than joe. I'm a dolphin fan not a qb fan with that said I'm glad fitz is starting because we actually have a chance to win and make a playoff push. 100 yard performances isn't gonna get us there. The people over at jungle noise are ecstatic about joe and believe hes gonna be in the hof, not one person on there board believes otherwise. They believe he will be back better than ever next year with an improved line btw. Js.

What changed is Flores put Tua in after back to back wins where the offense looked competent. It showed me that he understood that his career is likely tied to the development and success of the young talented highly drafted QB and not to squeaking into the playoffs every so often. If he is pulling the plug on the kid because of performance and not injury, than he might not be around long enough to ever see another playoff appearance.
I guess we just have to trust the coach and since he graduated from the Bill Bellichick school we probably will never know the extent of any injury, ever. I do think he is the best coach we have had in a while so I will just have to trust that he is making the right move. As for performance if Tua is not ready than he is not ready. Do we want the next Derek Carr? Tim Couch? QB's that got beat up, never had a chance to excel. I mean Tannehill would have been in a body cast if he was Tua's size by this same organization.

There was several of us last year saying burrow was better before they faced off head to head. that was when we were in the driver's seat for burrow. I took a lot of heat for speaking my mind on here. Joe burrow didnt disappoint. Tua played well in a mop up duty type game. But the fact that tua was injury prone and had trouble evading pressure at the college level always concerned me. I hope he does well for us but I really doubt he will be better than joe. I'm a dolphin fan not a qb fan with that said I'm glad fitz is starting because we actually have a chance to win and make a playoff push. 100 yard performances isn't gonna get us there. The people over at jungle noise are ecstatic about joe and believe hes gonna be in the hof, not one person on there board believes otherwise. They believe he will be back better than ever next year with an improved line btw. Js.
Well, to be fair, Bengals' fans have been delusional for decades. The fact that they all agree is no indication of how right they are.

You are right. You didn't say "hate". Semantics maybe?

And you are also correct that there are ppl who are happier being right, than being a winner.

I just think you are overstating how many, and that how "most, if not all" fall into that category.

The questions about how Flo is handling this are valid. Some of us give him the benifit of doubt for now. Others don't. Neither is ridiculous, IMO.

On the other hand, some of us also have "concerns" about TT, also valid, IMO.

If anyone says they aren't valid, that's fine, but not indicative of an open mind.

I would prefer, for the purposes of all of us enjoying the forum to its fullest potential, if those of us who do have concerns were not all lumped together, as merely anti Tua. Is that too much to ask?
Fine, maybe you are not in that category. I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. I also have valid concerns about Tua at this point and that's why I feel it's better to find out sooner rather than later if he is the answer at QB or not. The questions about the way Flores is handling Tua have been brought on by himself. First he started off by telling us there was no hurry to play him and that he wasn't ready. Then out of nowhere he puts Tua in as the starter after two consecutive impressive wins. While Tua is playing, it appears they are babying him and playing conservatively, and the first time he shows signs of real struggle in the Denver game he pulls him because of "performance issues". How I'm supposed to believe Flores is being honest now with all of his mixed messaging about Tua this year and the handling of the QB situation and the coaching staff last year?

Well, to be fair, Bengals' fans have been delusional for decades. The fact that they all agree is no indication of how right they are.
To be fair they probaly know what an actual starting caliber qb looks like more than us without looking up stats Andy dalton was playing well for them before he fail off a cliff🤷‍♂️

I do think he hit his hand on a follow thru on a helmet it happens...I don’t think he’s now doubtful because of it
This is a young and somewhat mediocre roster.
The key to the season was and remains Tua. Have to develop the QB and if that means he needs to sit- that’s fine. But I don’t care about wins as much as the QB development.

Flo wants to win and we have a chance at the playoffs. Is the injury real? Who cares? Fitzmagic gives us the best chance to win. If you don't think Fitz would be 3-1 like Tua then I do not know what to say to you. I think Fitz would be 4-0 against the same teams.
Teams Ryan Fitzpatrick beat have a combined 5-25 record... Teams Tua beat have a combined 16-14 record. Fitz threw 5 INTs in his 3 losses...

I don't think we are far off in our thinking. I think we can compete for the playoffs this year and springboard into even better times starting next year with another strong FA period, a draft that will bring playmakers and an preseason for Tua to work with. I agree with the long term but sorry I don't pass on the playoffs if there is a chance and I damn sure don't think Flores will either. He gets paid to win now, not down the road.
This is so shortsighted it's almost unbearable.

Why elevate Reid if as so many here are proclaiming the injury is fake?

Sigh
My thoughts exactly, I don't know what to say if this doesn't put the conspiracy theorists to rest. Yeah right, Flores is going to waste a roster spot, just to hide that he never wanted Tua to be the guy. This **** is just straight amazing how impatient and I want it now this world has come. And don't give me it's been this long, it's been that long, because I've seen every snap of every game for over 20 years ever since I got the NFL ticket.

Tua had a nice game against Arizona but I don't see 34 points or 221 passing yards against a soft defense as something Fitz couldn't do.

it was the situational execution that fitz can’t match. Tua was money in situational play in that game

Back
Top Bottom