Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp. | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp.

I could see Miami taking this stance, they have leverage. They could call Howard's agents' bluff and opt not to renegotiate this year or trade him and leave Howard with two options play in 2020 and get paid or don't play and not get paid. I'm sure option one wins out 95% of the time. It could create friction further down the line when the current contract is up, but right now Miami has the upper hand.

I've read the Cowboys have interest in trading for Howard. I would tell them "give me 2020 1st round pick Trevon Diggs and a 2022 1st round pick and we might have a deal." Dallas gets an elite corner, Miami has two young 1st round corners in Diggs and Igbinoghene to go with Byron Jones, plus a future 1st round pick. I would be thrilled with that trade. In fact I would ask for Diggs and 1st, but might even settle for Diggs and a 2nd.
Miami has way less leverage than you seem to think. Xavien has made good money and could hold out as long as he wants. He is untradeable as a holdout unless a new deal is part of the trade terms. A new deal would cause a new team to demand a discount in a trade. If we cut him, obviously we get nothing and some other team will pay him. We need his 10 INTs more than he needs the Miami Dolphins.

Miami has way less leverage than you seem to think. Xavien has made good money and could hold out as long as he wants. He is untradeable as a holdout unless a new deal is part of the trade terms. A new deal would cause a new team to demand a discount in a trade. If we cut him, obviously we get nothing and some other team will pay him. We need his 10 INTs more than he needs the Miami Dolphins.
Hogwash. We are talking about one of the top CBs in the league here.

Miami currently has more money wrapped up at cornerback then any other team in the NFL and Jones and Howard are 3rd and 4th respectively in terms of contract value. I have little sympathy for X here.
I have zero sympathy for anyone making the millions of dollars a year as Howard does for simply playing a game. Yet I also don’t hold it against him for trying to get more if he can. I will just be very surprised if the Dolphins cave to his demands with 4 years left on his contract.

I’ve picked up 1500+ piles of dog poop but i couldn’t tell you specifics about horse poop
LOL...

The contract that X signed ALLOWS the team to cut him...

Whining and crying that they shouldn't have this right that the contract explicitly allows... is childish.

so you want him to ask for more money every single year?
I want him to be the highest paid corner on his own team because he's the best corner on his own team at the very minimum.

This isn't a hard concept.

I have zero sympathy for anyone making the millions of dollars a year as Howard does for simply playing a game. Yet I also don’t hold it against him for trying to get more if he can. I will just be very surprised if the Dolphins cave to his demands with 4 years left on his contract.
This is not dissimilar to being held, hostage. Don't negotiate with X. Send him packing. If you pay X you open a floodgate.

the team should not give him more money after every season. These players needs to stop with their egos.......I can understand if he's underpaid but he's not. How much is enough??
He’s the best CB in the NFL and he’s not even the highest paid CB on the team. Of course he’s under paid.

So you favor blocking the owners from cuts and trades?
Actually the owners and players are covered by the CBA when it comes to player contracts. The only money the players are assured of under any contract they sign is the guaranteed money in the contract. The rest of the money in the contract is no better than Monopoly money unless the team decides to keep the player on the roster instead of cutting him.

The players signed off on the CBA. So they have no one but themselves to blame if they don’t like the way contracts are structured.

Last edited:
lord, I have a feeling this isnt going to go over well, if he plays this year will he half *** it again like he did in 2019? I say trade him now while his market is hot. I thought his market peaked a couple years ago. But after his 2020 season, we could get good value for him.

My thinking is this, elite CB's get traded ALL the time. Elite CB's play on multiple teams throughout their careers. So he is expendable. If we can get a 1st round pick for him then I would do it. If Tua doesnt work out then we have no QB which is a much bigger deal than not having X. If we trade X for a 1st then we would have the most draft captial over the next two years and we could use that to either get Watson/Wilson or trade up for a QB in a future draft. X has given us some good seasons in Miami this may be the best option and would give us a little more insurance if Tua doesn't progress. This staff has shown us they aren't playing around, and if a player isnt playing well enough then they are moving on QUICK, and I like that.
I'm fine with trading X, but we should get much more than a first for him. Jaylen Ramsey set the market with 2 firsts and a fourth.

You guys aren't talking about a player in the final years of his contract who is outplaying it. X signed the the deal 2 years ago and is currently on year three, if this is the modern trend of the NFL, teams should reserve the right to mandate a reduction in pay for any given year that play is diminished.

Sure Jalen Ramsey signed a 100m contract with the Rams but he ain't gonna see it since the contract is so back loaded he'll be restructured or gone after year four.

Reactions: A1.
Back
Top Bottom