Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp. | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp.

I wouldn't trade him for less than a solid CB and 1 st round pick.
A team looking to trade a first round pick for Howard would likely be a team that doesn’t have a solid starting CB to begin with. That would be why they would be willing to make the trade for Howard. Perhaps they could get a solid starter at another position in a trade for Howard but I doubt it would be at the CB position.

Jalen Ramsey stats 2020-52 tackles, one INT
Xavien Howard stats 2020-62 tackles, 10 INTs

If I were Howard's agent, I'd be trying to renegotiate as well. It's a business. That being said, i would try to trade him if i were the Dolphins. So many posters think we are 2-3 years away, then why keep him and pay him if we can get the draft capital for our future that so many say they covet?

Actually the owners and players are covered by the CBA when it comes to player contracts. The only money the players are assured of under any contract they sign is the guaranteed money in the contract. The rest of the money in the contract is no better than Monopoly money unless the team decides to keep the player on the roster instead of cutting him.

The players signed off on the CBA. So they have no one but themselves to blame if they don’t like the why contracts are structured.
You are making my point. Thank you. The contract is only valid for the guaranteed part. Either party is able to renegotiate at any point due to this fact. As stated in a previous post. The owners do it all the time with cuts. The players do it with hold outs.
If the NFL guaranteed l contracts....there wouldn't be holdout.
I'm still puzzle how posters think it's okay for owners to have all the power and ability to walk away from a contract but the other party isnt...

Get your money, young man.

None of the whiney babies will be there to take care of you when football no longer finds you useful.
Howard is scheduled to make $75 million dollars under his present contract. He made several more million dollars prior to signing that contract. If he can’t set himself up financially to live the rest of his life on his NFL earnings, he has bigger problems than who will take care of him once he leaves football.

I have no problem with him wanting more money but I do have a big problem with the fact nearly 75% of NFL players are bankrupt within 5 years after retiring. Perhaps they need to learn how to invest what they have now instead of just wanting more and wasting it on things that won’t benefit them once they no longer have the huge salaries they earn while playing.

What if all it takes is to guarantee the rest of the contract?
No one really knows what he really wants. With that, my first reaction is to make it work, not trade.
However, I believe Grier listens to every single offer for any player at any time.

I'm for guaranteed contracts for players. I wish every contract was guaranteed.

That out of the way, it's a clear disadvantage to be the only team giving them out. It's not a hard no from me, but I'd still be reluctant. Fully guarantee 2 of the 3 remaining years? Def more palatable.

Should he honor his contract? Yeah, I think so. Dolphins didn't ask him to take less in 2019 when he kinda underperformed. Does he have the right to try and get what he can now? Sure. The whole thing is frustrating and stupid though. The deal with Jones has obviously created this mess. The fact that Jones makes more than X is ridiculous on paper. Maybe it was a bad deal, but that's how free agency goes a lot of the time. If we hadn't signed Jones for more than X, he probably wouldn't be considering holding out. Who knows? This makes more sense to me though when players have 1 or 2 years left on a contract, not 3.

I'm for guaranteed contracts for players. I wish every contract was guaranteed.

That out of the way, it's a clear disadvantage to be the only team giving them out. It's not a hard no from me, but I'd still be reluctant. Fully guarantee 2 of the 3 remaining years? Def more palatable.
I want guaranteed contracts for all players. Until the NFL moves to that I don't believe we should be fully guaranteeing. I wouldn't for X. And with that said, is why I 100% support player hold outs for contract issues.

I beg to differ on that!

X is an aging player.
X recently signed his deal
Dolphins have a few DBs on the roster including a 1st round selection
Every player in the NFL is replaceable. The league goes on no matter who is on the field and the network contracts go up every year, earning the owners more and more money.
‘Howard is simply a great player who could be out of the game permanently if he takes the wrong hit. While I am sure the Dolphins front office and coaches would prefer to have Howard at CB next year. I also believe they understand they hold all the cards and they will be the deciding factor in whether Howard stays or goes.

Howard can’t trade himself. That decision is entirely up to the organization. The only option he has if the Dolphins refuse to renegotiate his contract is play under his present contract or sit out and not get paid. I have no idea why anyone would think these limited option means he is holding all the cards. If he is holding all the cards, he has a pretty crappy hand IMO.

Back
Top Bottom