Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp. | Page 26 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp.

Put you in his shoes, you see an average LB in your team getting 13 mil. And you are the most impactful player in the defense and get pay much less, would you be happy?
Yep called wage inflation. Just like raising up wages for anyone else the guys who are making more doin a superior job are going to want more leaving the average fan not able to afford the ticket to watch the game.

Put you in his shoes, you see an average LB in your team getting 13 mil. And you are the most impactful player in the defense and get pay much less, would you be happy?
Then maybe don't sign a 5 year deal and understand the cap is always inflating.

He wanted the big contract, even though back then injuries were a major concern. He didn’t even look right in 2019 and played 5 games. At the time it looked like we made a questionable move paying him that much.

Blame the agent, not us. He can't get out of this deal until he's going into his age 32 season.

He doesn't really have much leverage here outside of being toxic to the team. Sure we can get a 1st for him or whatever. Cool. Not ideal to me. We aren't getting as much as people think in a trade for him if the other team knows they have to pay him top dollar.

We'd never do this, but we also have the option of letting him sit out 4 years and allowing him to waste the rest of his career if he doesn't want to be reasonable.

I'm def willing to pay/guarentee him more, but it sounds like he wants to get paid the amount he'd get if he was a FA. No player has ever tried to renegotiate a long term contract one year in like this.

If it wasn't going to mean no players would ever want to sign w us again, I'd let him rot until he comes to his senses. Screw the pick we'd get.

Last edited:
With Flo being familiar with Chandler Jones, I don't rule out a trade involving both players.

Cards get X, Fins get CJ and a second. Makes sense for both sides.

Then maybe don't sign a 5 year deal and understand the cap is always inflating.

He wanted the big contract, even though back then injuries were a major concern. He didn’t even look right in 2019 and played 5 games. At the time it looked like we made a questionable move paying him that much.

Blame the agent, not us. He can't get out of this deal until he's going into his age 32 season.

He doesn't really have much leverage here outside of being toxic to the team. Sure we can get a 1st for him or whatever. Cool. Not ideal to me. We aren't getting as much as people think in a trade for him if the other team knows they have to pay him top dollar.

We'd never do this bc of the optics, but we also have the option of letting him sit out 4 years and allowing him to waste the rest of his career if he doesn't want to be reasonable.

I'm def willing to pay/guarentee him more, but it sounds like he wants to get paid the amount he'd get if he was a FA. No player has ever tried to renegotiate a long term contract one year in like this.

If it wasn't going to mean no players would ever want to sign w us again, I'd let him rot until he comes to his senses. Screw the picks we'd get.
I hear what you saying. A contract is a contract is a contract.
Then you were talking nonsense....let him sit and rot for four years. No, that is sour ex wife thinking. GM don't do thing like that.

I don't like a new contract after only one year into a contract either. I say we trade him tomorrow while he still has value. The longer the hold out, the less value he commands as the other teams know we will get more desperate.

I hear what you saying. A contract is a contract is a contract.
Then you were talking nonsense....let him sit and rot for four years. No, that is sour ex wife thinking. GM don't do thing like that.

I don't like a new contract after only one year into a contract either. I say we trade him tomorrow while he still has value. The longer the hold out, the less value he commands as the other teams know we will get more desperate.
I don't disagree at all. I know it would NEVER happen, and I did literally say that.

And technically, he would be the one letting himself sit and rot for 4 years.

I was honestly just trying to point out how little true leverage he actual held and how unprecedented it is for a player in his situation to be acting in the way he is. Obviously I don't know what he is asking for but I'm would bet anything that the team is willing to work with him and his asking price is unreasonable.

But sure it's great if we get a pick for him. But we traded our 1st rounder (instead of the SF 1st we got) this year thinking we were going to have him. Without him our defense could tank with Needham/Coleman/Iggy/Perry as the other CB's besides Byron. We could have at least made a move to get a respectable replacement.

I get why you're saying you want to trade him now, but he has put us in a terrible situation if we are forced to do that. This team's scheme begins with the play of it's CB's. Just losing Byron killed us while he was out. I'm worried that this sets the table for the possibility that we could end up giving the Eagles a premium pick next year if our secondary becomes a weakness. Him sitting out could potentially hurt our draft capital nearly as much as anything we gain by trading him.

If he is truly asking to be paid 20 mill (or just under that amount), he is really ****ing us, while holding none of the leverage where he should be able to do so without significant risk to himself. The only thing that makes it pretty much an inevitability that he will get exactly what he wants is that he and his agent know "GMs don't do things" like what I said.

We could easily just say "No new deal. See you on the field when you give in." But apparently diva's rule the league now. First Fitz, now X.

Last edited:
X's holdout is because of Byron's contract not Baker's. X played a ton better and got what 75 Mil while Byron got 82 Mil.

The answer is to lower Byron's contract by renegotiating, trade or cut and not pay X more

X's holdout is because of Byron's contract not Baker's. X played a ton better and got what 75 Mil while Byron got 82 Mil.

The answer is to lower Byron's contract by renegotiating, trade or cut and not pay X more
X isn't all of a sudden going to end his want for more money because Byron got renegotiated which won't happen either.

If we could have gotten a mid first round pick, I wanted to trade him before the draft and use that pick on one of the top corners. Save cap and get a younger replacement. That's the business of the NFL today

If we could have gotten a mid first round pick, I wanted to trade him before the draft and use that pick on one of the top corners. Save cap and get a younger replacement. That's the business of the NFL today
That's not realistic thinking. He's not a perennial DPOY...he had one great year.

Other years he was good, but limited. And he's expensive and wants more money.

When you draft a first rounder, you're expecting a great player at a bargain for 5 years.

I think the best we can hope for in a trade is another productive player and maybe a second round pick.

Intrigued by Chandler Jones situation. He could be expendable in AZ. Flo loves former Patriots. He can absolutely still rush the passer.

He's older...but we only need him to split time with Ogbah.

We'll see how this goes, but I think this is realistic.

Why don’t you look up how much Xavien currently makes before proclaiming it to be “much less” than Baker?

X isn't all of a sudden going to end his want for more money because Byron got renegotiated which won't happen either.
It would squash his argument that he is the best player and should be paid the most, which is exactly what his agent has stated. He will be the highest paid defensive player.

As for Byron, With Noah on deck and the less than stellar play from Byron, I would not be the least bit surprised to see Grier move him out...

I agree with others that say he won't have the same season he did last year. Sure he's a good player but I don't expect a repeat performance. If Dolphins feel that he still significantly impacts the game with less production than they'll retain him otherwise they'll probably shop him. He probably is at his highest value at this point.
He will probably have a less productive season. He may come in around the 5th- 6th best CB in the NFL by seasons end which is still decent. Remind me again ..... oh yes he's
currently the 6th best paid CB in the NFL. 😏

It would squash his argument that he is the best player and should be paid the most, which is exactly what his agent has stated. He will be the highest paid defensive player.

As for Byron, With Noah on deck and the less than stellar play from Byron, I would not be the least bit surprised to see Grier move him out...

Where has he said it's because he isn't the highest paid on the team? He may want to be the highest-paid CB period and with Gilmore holding out for more I imagine he will want around what Gilmore is making/wanting to make or something around the value of Ramsey contract.

Back
Top Bottom