Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp. | Page 37 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp.

How many players get cut to pay for his raise? And how much should it be?
Already answered (for the most part) … if he wants another couple million/year - so he’s not the best player on our Defense, making 2nd banana money in just his secondary - YOU GIVE IT TO HIM!

How many players get cut to pay for his raise? And how much should it be?
zero. no idea.

if they don't have the money, they restructure something.

i don't think they would ever cut somebody they wanted to keep.

there are ways to figure out how to take the hit next season, because:

"$208.2 million

As part of last week's league meetings, the NFL and the NFL Players Association agreed to set a salary cap ceiling for the 2022 season. According to a report by Tom Pelissero of NFL Network, that ceiling will be implemented at $208.2 million per team.Jun 1, 2021"

(this year is $182.5)

Already answered (for the most part) … if he wants another couple million/year - so he’s not the best player on our Defense, making 2nd banana money in just his secondary - YOU GIVE IT TO HIM!
So... another 2m per year... less the fines?

zero. no idea.

if they don't have the money, they restructure something.

i don't think they would ever cut somebody they wanted to keep.

there are ways to figure out how to take the hit next season, because:

"$208.2 million

As part of last week's league meetings, the NFL and the NFL Players Association agreed to set a salary cap ceiling for the 2022 season. According to a report by Tom Pelissero of NFL Network, that ceiling will be implemented at $208.2 million per team.Jun 1, 2021"

(this year is $182.5)
So... spend next year's cap money in advance?

like every other player with a multi-year deal, or guaranteed money spread over the life of the contract?

or something else?
This spends next year's cap on a player this year...
Never a good idea, especially on an injury prone player.

This spends next year's cap on a player this year...
Never a good idea, especially on an injury prone player.
i agree, but depending on the numbers, and the fact that the cap is going up nearly $30 million dollars next season, it is likely to have little practical effect on us either way.

as i understand it, he makes $12 million this year, with a $1.4 signing bonus.

so approximately $13.5, with a $13.5 cap hit.

he's signed through 2024.

my guess is that he gets some more up front money this year, which gets spread in quarters over 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024.

but i'm sure there are many ways to do it where nobody needs to be cut, and it doesn't create any dire financial consequences for the club.

I keep forgetting that we have an abundance of players who were in the conversation for Player of the Year on their side of the ball. Silly me. Let’s move on from him. :bang:

I keep forgetting that we have an abundance of players who were in the conversation for Player of the Year on their side of the ball. Silly me. Let’s move on from him. :bang:
if we had a lot of players that were the best (or close to the best) at their positions in the league i might be on the other side of this one! lol

i agree, but depending on the numbers, and the fact that the cap is going up nearly $30 million dollars next season, it is likely to have little practical effect on us either way.

as i understand it, he makes $12 million this year, with a $1.4 signing bonus.

so approximately $13.5, with a $13.5 cap hit.

he's signed through 2024.

my guess is that he gets some more up front money this year, which gets spread in quarters over 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024.

but i'm sure there are many ways to do it where nobody needs to be cut, and it doesn't create any dire financial consequences for the club.
The only way to avoid immediate cuts, is to turn other players salaries into bonuses... and have less cap going forward... more for x, less for everyone else basically...

Now, i guess you could cut Grant and give that 4 million to X in a bonus, or pay those four 1m a year less next year.

Offer to guarantee one more year of his existing contract.

The only way to avoid immediate cuts, is to turn other players salaries into bonuses... and have less cap going forward... more for x, less for everyone else basically...

Now, i guess you could cut Grant and give that 4 million to X in a bonus, or pay those four 1m a year less next year.

Offer to guarantee one more year of his existing contract.
something.

they're smart.

they'll figure it out.

i thought they would need to guarantee some of byron jones' contract to free up some cash for this season.

...and I was dead set against that too.
you said Grant - $4,661,754

Hurns - $2,883,333

Fejedelem - $2,466,165

Smythe - $2,341,061

Elandon - $2,145,000

Foster - $1,057,500

all bubble guys that make over $1,000,000. there are 5 or 6 between $850,000 and $1 mil that likely won't make the team as well.

Find a way to keep him that doesn't break the bank

Performance bonus or something

10 INTs and an all pro nod ain't nothing to sneeze at

It unprecedented for a reason. The organization understands, I believe, this type of move puts them in a comprising negotiating perspective going forward if they grant this type of move to Howard. It opens the door for other players and their agents as exhibit A.

Back
Top Bottom