For People That Want Us To Draft Baker | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For People That Want Us To Draft Baker

what does dolphins have to lose we have not been to superbowl in 32 yr,,,, I don't see thill17 take dolphins too sb at all. if you are trying be 7 to 9 win a yr. we should keep thill17. if u want try and win sb. I think if any of these top qb are on board when we pick. we should take chance.

I've mentioned in a couple other posts that if one of the qb's fall to use and we draft him then im not gonna be upset, but at the same time im not gonna jump up and down with joy. the big 4 QB's (5 for the people who want to lump LJ into the mix) all have major redflags, not small ones. Like I said I wouldn't be in a rage if one fell to use and we picked him up, I would be upset if we traded up. A solid team can mask QB's weaknesses. If the run game is good this year with the changes on the interior OL than that should free up RT17 for more play actions where he has excelled. I just think if we draft a QB first then we are losing major upgrades at a position of need, or losing upgrades at multiple positions. say we draft QB first, then does that force our hand to HAVE to draft the best player at OLB in the second round who would be a major drop off from one of the top LBs, and then pretty much have to drop our board down one slot for each position we want, 3rd round level TE when we needed a 2nd, 4th round safety when we needed a 3rd... you get the point. Or figuratively speaking do we keep the board the way it is and get our 2nd round TE still, 3rd round safety, and just ignore the OLB position til late and have a major drop off in talent at that drafted position.

I like Mayfield, enjoyed watching him, pulled for OK before Mayfield blew up cause I like Lincoln Riley and felt that my ECU pirates should've promoted him way before he was big time material. I've just mentioned before that ive seen QB's that cant even get a call from the NFL do amazing things in that offense, and actually Kurk Benkert from VA went to ECU just because of Rileys offense. Kurk got hurt and didn't get to play in Rileys offense elsewhise we might be talking about him as a 1st rounder because he probably would've put up bigger numbers or just as big as Mayfield in that offense. when Riley left and KB got injured he transferred out.

Lesser QB's than RT17 have been to the SB, with the interior upgrades, I think we can have the running game that we need, a good draft on D, with the Chef coming back this year hopefully healthy, if our D can match the running game then I feel RT can do enough to get us into the PO's. RT's contract for the most part keeps him on the team for 2 more years, so If the other two aspects I mentioned above are solid and we still cant win with him, then there will be another batch of Allens, Rosens, Mayfields who show up next year at this time

I've mentioned in a couple other posts that if one of the qb's fall to use and we draft him then im not gonna be upset, but at the same time im not gonna jump up and down with joy. the big 4 QB's (5 for the people who want to lump LJ into the mix) all have major redflags, not small ones. Like I said I wouldn't be in a rage if one fell to use and we picked him up, I would be upset if we traded up. A solid team can mask QB's weaknesses. If the run game is good this year with the changes on the interior OL than that should free up RT17 for more play actions where he has excelled. I just think if we draft a QB first then we are losing major upgrades at a position of need, or losing upgrades at multiple positions. say we draft QB first, then does that force our hand to HAVE to draft the best player at OLB in the second round who would be a major drop off from one of the top LBs, and then pretty much have to drop our board down one slot for each position we want, 3rd round level TE when we needed a 2nd, 4th round safety when we needed a 3rd... you get the point. Or figuratively speaking do we keep the board the way it is and get our 2nd round TE still, 3rd round safety, and just ignore the OLB position til late and have a major drop off in talent at that drafted position.

I like Mayfield, enjoyed watching him, pulled for OK before Mayfield blew up cause I like Lincoln Riley and felt that my ECU pirates should've promoted him way before he was big time material. I've just mentioned before that ive seen QB's that cant even get a call from the NFL do amazing things in that offense, and actually Kurk Benkert from VA went to ECU just because of Rileys offense. Kurk got hurt and didn't get to play in Rileys offense elsewhise we might be talking about him as a 1st rounder because he probably would've put up bigger numbers or just as big as Mayfield in that offense. when Riley left and KB got injured he transferred out.

Lesser QB's than RT17 have been to the SB, with the interior upgrades, I think we can have the running game that we need, a good draft on D, with the Chef coming back this year hopefully healthy, if our D can match the running game then I feel RT can do enough to get us into the PO's. RT's contract for the most part keeps him on the team for 2 more years, so If the other two aspects I mentioned above are solid and we still cant win with him, then there will be another batch of Allens, Rosens, Mayfields who show up next year at this time
so do you believed thill17 as leader of team will take us to sb w this roster. I cannot see it. for example I could see alex smith taking team to afc champ game but you know he was not going to sb.
I look at thill17 as qb? he should be able to reach 7 to 9 win a yr. every once in while. he may reach playoff w earle exit first rd game. from what I saw in college playoff of Mayfield. if he goes to right team look out. later you get drafted in 1st rd better. Mayfield and Jackson were best college qb last yr. the only concern I have w Jackson is u cannot try do everything in nfl. that what killed rg3 career. plus he doesn't have size newton got.

Last edited:

I'm a big Mayfield fan, but you're not wrong about Riley.

so do you believed thill17 as leader of team will take us to sb w this roster. I cannot see it. for example I could see alex smith taking team to afc champ game but you know he was not going to sb.
I look at thill17 as qb? he should be able to reach 7 to 9 win a yr. every once in while. he may reach playoff w earle exit first rd game. from what I saw in college playoff of Mayfield. if he goes to right team look out. later you get drafted in 1st rd better. Mayfield and Jackson were best college qb last yr.

Wildman I do think that Mayfield is a great leader of that team. he has those firey qualities that tannehill has rarely shown. But that last season before he got injured you could actually see him playing with more fire, I think being there with the team all last season despite the injury when many could've been sitting at home chilling but he stayed wanting to be a part of the team. hes just as qualified to go to the SB with the right team as anyone, would he be the reason we are there, doubtful, but could he take us to the super bowl, yes.

I cannot see thill17 taking dolphins to sb at all but if we are talking wildcard maybe possible... he may be able to help another team to one. and that a very small chance

I'm a big Mayfield fan, but you're not wrong about Riley.

Thanks bud for that twitter comment. Some of these things you can just see. my sad claim that I used to like telling people was, that outside of kurt warner or his wife, I was probably the first person to ever have kurt warner on a fantasy team. As soon as Trent green went down in the preseason game I "asked jeeves" (probably) who his back up was because with their offense there is no way that whoever the hell this guy is wont be successful.

Same thing with Riley, next year or the year after you are going to be talking about another "Elite" OU QB coming through. Me and my college buddies rent a cabin in the mountains every year (East Carolina University), we had the discussion several years back because our HC Ruf McNeil was more of a fatherly figure to the guys than a great coach, Ruf actually brought Riley to the Pirates from Tex Tech with him when he came. ECU's offense with QB Shane Carden...you might remember that name he wont NCAA player of the week honors twice, AAC MVP and CUSA MVP in back to back years. pretty impressive...went undrafted. I wanted us to promote Ruf to Admin, he could still be dad figure, put Riley as head coach, still think he would've done wonders with Kurk Benkert. My buddies thought process was why do we want a HC we know is too good for us and will leave us in 2-3 years for a big time University, when Ruf would be a Pirate for life if allowed. My philosophy was, give that man 2-3 years recruiting and coaching this team, we are gonna be top ranked, have offensive players and top high school qb's beating down the door to play in our system.

Mayfield is a great leader, no doubt about it, but his stats are bloated because of Rileys offense, I know I read somewhere talking about how Mayfield can throw WR's open, for the most part, his WR/TE's are schemed open.

Once again if we draft him, cool, I like the kid, he has fire, but I just think we have stronger needs and can build tannehill a team now that we MIGHT have an OL for the first time. If we don't draft a QB, ill look up this post in 2 years and ill bet we are talking about a different OU QB

If he can take another team to the Super Bowl then why cant he take the fins? that's why im more on the bandwagon of building up the team around here and giving him HOPEFULLY a full season with Gase, he gets hurt again this year then we miss out on Mayfield or the others, but will be a new batch next year of 4-5 at this time everyone talks about in 1st round

If he can take another team to the Super Bowl then why cant he take the fins? that's why im more on the bandwagon of building up the team around here and giving him HOPEFULLY a full season with Gase, he gets hurt again this year then we miss out on Mayfield or the others, but will be a new batch next year of 4-5 at this time everyone talks about in 1st round
I don't see his injury as problem?? he will be find this yr. the 20 month layoff is a concern? he have never played in playoff is concern as well. I don't know what to expect from thill17. it just me b ut I cannot see thill17 taking dolphins to sb at all. I understand they want see if he is qb off future...every player on dolphins team should be on hot seat.i am not hating after 7 yr. I cannot say thill17 is our qb

I love me some Jerome Baker. Excellent value in the third

That would be nice. He's one of the guy's you wish you had an extra 3rd rounder for.

I'd take Ward (a trade down would be ideal) and Baker (3rd). I am not going to pound the table for either though because Ward isn't Lattimore and Baker isn't the prospect that Raekwon was last year. Denzel Ward's ability to break up a pass is off the charts though. Dude uses his hands and fights off a completion at all costs.

I am an Ohio State homer but rarely do I go overboard clamoring for former Buckeye's but it's hard to ignore the quality talent they produce year after year. Your Vernon Gholston's are very few and far between.

Nick Bosa 2019 bandwagon ready to roll.

No to JT Barrett though, not even as an UDFA.

NFL Draft Scout's Rob Rang reports Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield "remains in the conversation" to be drafted in the top-five picks.

Mayfield has been trending down since the Combine, with Josh Allen and Sam Darnold the consensus top quarterbacks. Teams may be pivoting to Mayfield, the Heisman winner and most accurate passer in this year's class. The Jets have been heavily linked to Mayfield with the No. 3 overall pick.
Source: NFL Draft Scout
Apr 14 - 3:20 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/...nterest-in-dez-bryant?ls=roto:FA:topheadlines

I agree but he's just going into his sophomore season in 2018. Strong candidate for #1 overall in 2020. I like him better than any other current college QB, though that true fresh at Clemson is built like ****ing Jimmy Graham with a rifle of an arm. While on topic, I hate FSU but I think Francois is extremely underrated and I see an NFL QB if healthy.

Yes Trevor Lawrence is a flat out stud.

He dominated in the spring game yesterday. I hope Miami tanks in 2022.

Can you explain it to me?

I know he had the highest completion percentage.

I know he has a massive # of yards and TDs last season. I know he won an obscene amount of award this season.

I also freely admit that if he had done everything he he did last season in the ACC or SEC or Big 10 he would be the 1st QB taken. Unfortunately for him he did it in the big 12 which is lacking in defense.

When you look at the all time great Big12 QBs in the NFL, the only name I can come up with is Troy Aikman and Sam bradford for a currently playing QB (dont bother talking to me about QBs that transferred out)

I read the reddit posts, i read the facebook posts. We have people that want tannehill gone and are willing to part with next years 1st and more to move up and take baker. How is the last big 12 QB we drafted doing for us?

We are not a talented team. We went into the playoffs in 2016 because we had the easiest schedule in the league. We still need a guard, we still need a line backer, we still need another DT, LBer, CB, and S. We cannot throw picks away on maybes. I want safe talent. I dont need superstars. I want hardworkers.
ill give it a shot. i would like us to draft Mayfield because Tannehill is currently our starting QB

If I knew Tannehill would remain healthy with no mobility issues that impact his impressive play action skills and could resume right where he left off up to and in the AZ game before the Campbell cheap hit, I'd say let's take a pass on Mayfield.

However since I cannot say that, whether you want to attribute Mayfield's success to the conference, offensive scheme or whatever rather than his skills, there is still no denying that he possesses the "IT" factor and is beloved by his teammates to the point where they brought out his uniform to the captains coin toss when he was benched that first quarter. I've also seen one of the receivers relate where he had a hard time getting to practices on time so Mayfield approached him and told him he'd be picking him up every day. Also loved how Mayfield stepped up to defend his OT, Orlando Brown, as being a stud who did a great job protecting him, despite Brown's abysmal Combine showing.

Bottom Line: Mayfield has had to fight for every starter job he's gotten, inspires his teammates, has a winner's mentality and has performed beyond any expectations no matter the system or circumstance. I dread the Jets or Bills ending up with him. I am confident if healthy that Tannehill will take the next step, but if not healthy, Baker is IMO the most viable fall-back option and if Tannehill continues to ball, there's nothing wrong with him sitting and marinating, Aaron Rodgers style for a year or 2.

If I knew Tannehill would remain healthy with no mobility issues that impact his impressive play action skills and could resume right where he left off up to and in the AZ game before the Campbell cheap hit, I'd say let's take a pass on Mayfield.

However since I cannot say that, whether you want to attribute Mayfield's success to the conference, offensive scheme or whatever rather than his skills, there is still no denying that he possesses the "IT" factor and is beloved by his teammates to the point where they brought out his uniform to the captains coin toss when he was benched that first quarter. I've also seen one of the receivers relate where he had a hard time getting to practices on time so Mayfield approached him and told him he'd be picking him up every day. Also loved how Mayfield stepped up to defend his OT, Orlando Brown, as being a stud who did a great job protecting him, despite Brown's abysmal Combine showing.

Bottom Line: Mayfield has had to fight for every starter job he's gotten, inspires his teammates, has a winner's mentality and has performed beyond any expectations no matter the system or circumstance. I dread the Jets or Bills ending up with him. I am confident if healthy that Tannehill will take the next step, but if not healthy, Baker is IMO the most viable fall-back option and if Tannehill continues to ball, there's nothing wrong with him sitting and marinating, Aaron Rodgers style for a year or 2.

That all sounds good. But the Dolphins shouldn't trade premium coveted picks for a prospect that might be good and not great at the next level. If they want to draft the best avaialble QB in later rounds then no problems. But if you're possibly going to trade up for a QB in Rd. 1 then that QB has to be hands down already at Tannehills level or will surpass him very quickly. It makes no sense to draft a QB that might, one day, be better than Tannehill early on.

Back
Top Bottom