Former Dolphins’ Ot Jawuan James | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Former Dolphins’ Ot Jawuan James

Stefen Wisniewski worth a sign for G?

Yeah that Mosley money blew the off ball lb market out the water

Whoof

Mosley isn't worth that at all.

FA is great for the player, but these dudes are getting paid entirely to much for the quality player they are, but I love it that they are getting their money.

James was a solid player for us after being drafted a bit high. Word has always been Miami would like him back but they were not gonna break the bank. Solid player no ill will towards him but I think the shift in philosophy as well as the rebuild hurt him

Didn't see anyone with a clue mention him making less than $12mil/yr... and I don't see anyone saying they're surprised he got the contract he did in this thread, either.
One of the local writers was talking $8-10 million just a week or two ago. Most here were speculating $12 million for months

Kwon Alexander tore an acl in week 6 of 18 even and has nickel limitations and overaggressiveness at times and look at his money from San Fran.

This is the reality of free agent signings. You have to take a gamble and sign guys to extensions a year early, hoping to get a slight discount otherwise they will be paid heavily when they hit the market. Dolphins need to work on an extension with Howard now, if a deal can't be reached trade him.

FWIW in terms of compensatory picks James should get us a 3rd, assuming we don't sign more FAs then we lose.

This is the reality of free agent signings. You have to take a gamble and sign guys to extensions a year early, hoping to get a slight discount otherwise they will be paid heavily when they hit the market. Dolphins need to work on an extension with Howard now, if a deal can't be reached trade him.

FWIW in terms of compensatory picks James should get us a 3rd, assuming we don't sign more FAs then we lose.
Yeah, CK mentioned the comp picks in his tweets yesterday. He was thinking a 3rd round comp for James and a 4th round comp pick for Wake, if he signs elsewhere? Time to move on I guess. James was solid but inconsistent. Wished he'd have stayed. Wish him well in Denver.

This doesn't surprise me. IMHO, James is not even close to worth that kind of money, and given that it was out there for him, we made the right decision and can't be too unhappy about it. The alternative was worse--either grossly overpay a RT who has been mediocre, or let him walk. We let him walk, which was the right move, and he's out of the division.

When we didn't re-sign Lamar Miller and Olivier Vernon some people cried bloody murder, but it was the right thing to do. When we didn't re-sign Jarvis Landry people thought the sky was falling, but it was the right thing to do. I don't really know how we seem to keep getting players on our mediocre team who the league thinks are the best talent at their positions despite their production …. but we do. And as long as the FA over-valuation so far exceeds their real value, there really isn't anything else we can do.

Sure, signing our FA's a couple of years before they hit the market might be possible in some cases, but aside from that--which is a gamble--we're in the same boat as the Pittsburgh Steelers, and we juts gotta let 'em go. Antonio Brown might be worth a top WR money but he forced a trade, and Leveon Bell might be worth a top RB money, but I think we can all agree that Ju'Wuan James is definitely not worth top RT money.

Some people will be heartbroken … but not me.

Time to move on.

“Heartbroken” :lol: Sure thing. You better not be one of the ones who whines when the offensive line is even worse. I mean, a lot of these same people were crying incessantly when the line was simply average. Now we have no interior line and no RT. Solid plan, and exactly the same as letting a RB, who we should have kept because it would have been a good complimentary backfield, and overrated DE, who the vast majority didn’t want to re-sign because he never actually produced despite your proclamation, go.

It will be even funnier when we use a high pick to fix a hole we created for no reason instead of using it to address another deficiency. It’s a clinic on how to build mediocre teams.

But hey, we’re going to have some sweet cap savings, which everyone knows is the real championship. Next time some fans of other teams are making fun of how shitty the Phins have been for decades, just point out our cap savings with the smuggest possible face you can muster.

I wanted Philbin's entire o-line replaced after he was fired. Those guys (as a unit) were terrible, but Gase kept them all to start the 2016 season. Philbin's (and Gase's) preference of finesse over tough, mean, old-school physicality was IMO the reason why Tannehill was constantly knocked around, and why they had such a problem with converting 3rd or 4th and short on the ground and sustaing a strong running game. Even though Incognito was a "problem" who needed a babysitter to stay out of trouble (I think Jake Long filled that role), he was a better o-lineman that ANYONE brought in by Philbin or Gase. Pouncey was drafted the year before Philbin, but his head bob right before every snap made him more useful to the opponent's defense than to Miami's offense, so I was glad to see Pouncey go.

James is just another guy who wants WAY more than he's worth. Hopefully, Flores will realize that they need a tough, physical o-line instead of finesse. I'm sure that everyone remembers how under Philbin and Gase, Miami's o-line was consistently man-handled by tough d-lines (like the Jets and Bills). It's time to not only change the roster, but to change the entire philosophy and go for physical instead of finesse.

“Heartbroken” :lol: Sure thing. You better not be one of the ones who whines when the offensive line is even worse. I mean, a lot of these same people were crying incessantly when the line was simply average. Now we have no interior line and no RT. Solid plan, and exactly the same as letting a RB, who we should have kept because it would have been a good complimentary backfield, and overrated DE, who the vast majority didn’t want to re-sign because he never actually produced despite your proclamation, go.

It will be even funnier when we use a high pick to fix a hole we created for no reason instead of using it to address another deficiency. It’s a clinic on how to build mediocre teams.

But hey, we’re going to have some sweet cap savings, which everyone knows is the real championship. Next time some fans of other teams are making fun of how ****ty the Phins have been for decades, just point out our cap savings with the smuggest possible face you can muster.
Why?

I am one of the people who have been lamenting the OL. But that doesn't mean that it is in any way consistent to take a player who is below average and pay him the highest amount in the NFL for his position (RT). Doing something patently foolish like that just compounds the problem and eliminates the resources needed to fix it. It would be kinda like saying I want a good kitchen and someone trying to defend paying $10,000 to prevent the toaster being repo'd and then suggesting I had better not complain about not having a good kitchen. If we have $10,000 and want a good kitchen, spending it on keeping a toaster is just about the worst thing we could do. Clearly this is an exaggeration, but the point is the same … horribly wasting money on an average or below player is no way to "fix" anything. If we're going to use resources like that, let's use them on something that actually helps.

When we paid a mint to get Branden Albert, I liked the addition but was vocal about being very disappointed and perplexed that we overpayed. I took some heat for that and was told that if I wanted to fix the OL, I shouldn't be whinging about the price. Turns out, I was right, and the very fact that we overpayed ended up in us cutting him loose before that contract ended and hurt out OL and deprived Tunsil of the mentor that he wasn't quite ready to be without. And I was right about that too, as it was just how I predicted it might play out, and 1 year wasn't quite enough time for the talented kid to completely mature. To remedy that we brought in Sitton--another high priced veteran who didn't work out (injuries), and who is also going to be gone this year (not official yet, but I'll be surprised if he isn't cut). He was a massive improvement, but like Pouncey, he wasn't healthy enough to merit the big salary.

To get BETTER, we need to have either better coaches or better players. Throwing money at the same players doesn't make them better, and James isn't worth anything even remotely close to the numbers he received. Paying him that isn't helping … it's hurting. It drains resources that could be used to fix the problem. We all hope the new coaches can turn things around … but giving away the cash register isn't going to help.

I definitely will be one of the people who whines when the offensive line is even worse. Lots of teams in the NFL have decent OL's, and a QB's best friend is a running game, so we need an OL that can protect him decently and generate lanes for a running game for our young QB (probably in 2020). James was a very bad run blocker and a very inconsistent pass protector who graded out as well below average in run blocking and average in pass protection. I want to fix the OL, not set records for overpaying that kind of production.

Very pleased we've not apparently been suckered in to a auction for someone who is at best servicable when he actually makes the field which is nowhere near often enough.

To fill the hole via the draft I would be looking at Chuma Edoga in the 2nd round out of USC, we may need to move around a little to get him however, but I've a feeling we won't be on the clock at 13 when draft night comes and he could be in play for us with a trade down in the first.

Edit:

If we could somehow come out of the draft with Nasir Adderley and Edoga as our first two picks I would be very happy.

Last edited:
I for one am fine with him being gone. I actually think we can upgrade that position, maybe not this year but within a couple years we can get a guy whos either better, or just as good for less money.

Just to play devils advocate though. You cant praise the dolphins for not breaking the bank for a guy like this or for Vernon or Landry but then watching them take essentially that same money and signing a Suh, and Branch and so on....

Back
Top Bottom