Former NFL quarterback on Tua Tagovailoa not knowing playbook: ‘That should never, ever happen’ | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Former NFL quarterback on Tua Tagovailoa not knowing playbook: ‘That should never, ever happen’

The difference between Tua and the other young QB’s is he willing to acknowledge his weaknesses and where he needs to improve publicly. Whether this is a good idea or not depends on your own point of view but I doubt there are many rookie QB’s who come into the league and completely know the playbook in their first season.
Learning the playbook and how to play effectively in the NFL is the reason most rookie QB’s struggle to begin with.

Saying he didn’t know the playbook really, really well is NOT the same as saying he did not know it. It’s a statement of his comfortably with it and not that he couldn’t grasp it or did study it. Plus Burrow and Herbert had an offense tailored to their strengths. Tua had old man Gailey forcing him to do the offense designed specifically for Fitz. Lazy reporting by Hasselbeck, even lazier attempt by the OP.
Like often happens, the comment was taken out of context.

He was in no way implying that he didn't know the play calls themselves. It had to do with checks, audibles, options off from reads, etc., and being able to adjust without hesitation and being confident (or even allowed) in making those "snap" decisions.

Maybe he could have known those things better, but ppl are making more of it than there actually is.

I know, hard to believe, right?????

With everything already being said about Tua's rehab and covid restrictions, I'm surprised that more people haven't mentioned that Tua didn't start getting first team reps until damn near November. For the first two months of the season he was primarily taking reps with second and third string guys. And that doesn't even take into consideration the revolving door that he had throughout the season when it came to the wide receiver position. I don't see what is so complex about understanding that damn near any player at the quarterback position would have the same trouble handling the situation that he had to deal with. It all comes down to perspective in my opinion and if you're a hater to the kid you're going to run and twist his comments to fit that agenda.

With everything already being said about Tua's rehab and covid restrictions, I'm surprised that more people haven't mentioned that Tua didn't start getting first team reps until damn near November. For the first two months of the season he was primarily taking reps with second and third string guys. And that doesn't even take into consideration the revolving door that he had throughout the season when it came to the wide receiver position. I don't see what is so complex about understanding that damn near any player at the quarterback position would have the same trouble handling the situation that he had to deal with. It all comes down to perspective in my opinion and if you're a hater to the kid you're going to run and twist his comments to fit that agenda.
Agreed.

If Tua comes back next year with this statement we can criticize him but to do it after last year is purely an agenda.

Sorry guys, I just read up on the TOs and saw that posters aren’t aloud to post negative articles or comments about Tua.(hahaha)
The fans on Finheaven know more about football and how it works then everyone else,
Anyone who does is a dip sh_t and know nothing, they’re all hacks, the 2mil+ football fans around the world are ignorant.

I like that Tua seems very honest and humble. His comments to me are nothing more than that. As he gets more experience, a full off season and plays tailored to his strengths and what he knows and already is good at he will be more than fine. He will, like many young QB's, take more and more command at the line of scrimmage. As Tua grows so do the Dolphins in every aspect and I can't wait to se this young, up in coming team beat the Pats week 1!

I'd have walked in, looked at Chan Gailey's playbook for Ryan Fitzpatrick, **** once in every corner of the room, wiped my a$$ with that playbook, then walked out without saying a word.

Sorry guys, I just read up on the TOs and saw that posters aren’t aloud to post negative articles or comments about Tua.(hahaha)
The fans on Finheaven know more about football and how it works then everyone else,
Anyone who does is a dip sh_t and know nothing, they’re all hacks, the 2mil+ football fans around the world are ignorant.

Sure you can post it my friend but others can also criticize the article as you often do when it's pro Tua.

Works both ways

If members get personal we will step in and delete posts from either side

Use the report button if you feel someone is attacking you personally

I don't see anything wrong with what you posted, Tua definitely isn't above criticism. However I think a lot of it is unwarranted and twisted. It doesn't seem like the kid can win no matter what in a lot of people's eyes. Like some have already said I would be a lot more concerned about the young man if he's having the same issues after a proper off season. I definitely think there's people that have dug their feet in the sand on both sides of the argument when it comes to him, but I'm more than fine reading negative articles when it concerns tua. However the positive articles shouldn't be critiqued so diligently by people saying well that's what players should be doing. It is what it is but the proof is in everything that we've seen transpire over the past year, and the only way that is going to start to change is by him getting better.

Back
Top Bottom