Free Agency Day 1 | Page 51 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Free Agency Day 1

Wouldnt say I’m stressed, but it is a little disappointing thats we were top 10 in cap space and most likely took a step back or have the same talent we had before FA
We were 10-6 with that talent, we didn't lose any linchpins and we have plenty of draft capital. No worries.

I would love to be a cap nerd than not knowing WTF is going on
An awful lot of misinformation is presented here at Finheaven... most of it by people who think they kinda know how it works...

So, I spend a lot of time on this. I think they better people understand the rules, the better our conversations will be.

We were 10-6 with that talent, we didn't lose any linchpins and we have plenty of drat capital. No worries.
I think Van Noy, Karras and Shaq Lawson are at least reasonable losses. I guess Adam Butler and Bernardrick McKinney make up for those. And our division got significantly better so far. Your right the draft can definitely change everything, but draft is always a bit of a gamble.

I think Van Noy, Karras and Shaq Lawson are at least reasonable losses. I guess Adam Butler and Bernardrick McKinney make up for those. And our division got significantly better so far. Your right the draft can definitely change everything, but draft is always a bit of a gamble.
Gotta remember man, these players are free agents for a reason. These are not the top crop, this is for bolstering positions and maybe, just maybe spending on a top caliber player a team couldn't afford (which still wouldn't be a #1). Fins are doing just fine. They will get the goods in the draft with a plethora of picks.

Reasonable losses but not irreplaceable, none of them set the world on fire while they were here. Holes, yes, but the production won't be hard to replace. I'm more into developing our own and being able to extend them if they deserve it so they don't hit FA. We want to be able to keep our good players, that's also part of FA, it's not only about who you pick up but who you are able to keep.

You have to have success drafting - if not you can only run and hide from that so long- same at the QB position.

Gotta remember man, these players are free agents for a reason. These are not the top crop, this is for bolstering positions and maybe, just maybe spending on a top caliber player a team couldn't afford (which still wouldn't be a #1). Fins are doing just fine. They will get the goods in the draft with a plethora of picks.
A lot of factors that go into players hitting free agency. It’s not always that a player isn’t a high caliber player. Free agency is a gamble, just like the draft is. The issue is if your handing out big long term deals and they don’t work out it blows up in your face and you can’t cut bait as easily as you can if a bad draft pick doesn’t work out. Look at Ogbah and Lawson last year, similar players in terms of age and production one worked out great and one didn’t, we structured the contract in a way that allowed us to move on easily. Those are the deals I was hopeful we’d be aggressive with and so far we really only got Adam Butler as a player who fits a similar profile.

KYLE VAN NOY
LB, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Patriots signed OLB Kyle Van Noy, formerly of the Dolphins, to a two-year contract.​

It's worth "up to" $13.2 million, but we're awaiting for the "down to" numbers that don't make the signing headlines. Van Noy reunites with coach Bill Belichick after a one-year stint with the Dolphins. Miami surprisingly released the veteran edge rusher one season into a four-year deal despite being a locker room leader, and Van Noy used the hashtag "#Personal" as a part of his signing announcement on Wednesday. The Patriots struggled rushing the passer last season, but they've retooled this free agency and are getting some pieces back from COVID-19 opt out. New England will certainly be better in 2021, partially because of Van Noy's return. He'll be 30 years old

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!! Wait until it plays out...
Right! Our defense played well most the year even with injuries (Outside of Byron going down). Next man up is huge for our defense and we did a nice job focusing on signing depth. Obviously we need some help on the edge and we need to hit that pick no doubt even if we sign Clowney but we will still find ways to get to QB's.... Two reasons. Our secondary helps our pass rush (coverage sacks). Flores ability to call blitzes. Now don't get me wrong, a dominant pass rusher on our defense would be a game changer but as long as Flores keeps it up with how he calls blitzes then we should be alright. I'm intrigued how we're gonna use McKinney. He should help our run defense right away which is a need and I can def see us using him to blitz quite often too.

Offense is what we really need to be worried about this offseason. Hopefully Tua and the O-Line can take another step first of all. We signed a great backup QB imo. Running back and receiver are no doubt two of the biggest issues with our team imo. Brown was a solid signing since we needed a power back and I think Brown, Gaskin, and Ahmed is actually a pretty decent backfield if used right. I still think we need to prioritize drafting one early tho. We obviously need a center but we addressed tackle depth hopefully by trading for Wilson. Hopefully we sign Andrews and fill this need before the draft but we'll have to see. As for receiver, I think it's nearly a given on what we're doing with our first pick regardless if we stay at 3 or move back. Finding a number receiver this offseason is gonna be through the draft and not by free agency. I do think we can find a very nice starter still in free agency but no need to pay big money for one. TY might be a bit older but i'd still be pretty happy going into next season with TY and one of the top receivers in this draft.

LT: Jackson
LG: Flowers
C: Andrews
RG: Kindley
RT: Hunt/Wilson
TE: Gesicki/Smythe/Shaheen
WR: Parker/Preston
WR: TY/Bowden
WR: Chase
RB: Najee/Gaskin/Brown/Ahmed
QB: Tua/Brissett

That offense would be sooo much better than last years offense especially if you factor in some of these guys hopefully taking another step.

Back
Top Bottom