Frerotte article on cnnsi (interesting saban comments) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Frerotte article on cnnsi (interesting saban comments)

What do you expect an ex-player to say after he was given the axe after a decent season.

Sour Freakin Grapes. I hate that guy.. He frickin SUCKED and he has the gaul to say his "pride was hurt" when he was asked to take a backup role? He is ANCIENT and a LIFELONG BACKUP! And no, he didnt lead us to a 9-7 record... Rosenfels was responsible for a win or two, and the D was a big part of the rest of the Ws, just like this year.

Gus can stick it. Hate the guy. He is right where he belongs.

He sounds pretty bitter to me, I would need more than just his word.

I take that with a grain of salt. I don't like it though if that's true about wanting to bench him for the final game.

GCD960 said:
can you copy and paste the saban parts? that page isnt comin up on my phone

here you go buddy -

Silver: Last year you finally got another shot to start, and you did some good things -- the winning streak at the end, helping turn Chris Chambers into a Pro Bowl receiver. But Nick Saban decided to trade for Daunte Culpepper, who you'd backed up in Minnesota, as his starter. Were you bummed out by that decision?

Frerotte: It was pretty hard to deal with at first. When a coach is telling you, "You're too old; we're gonna bring in somebody else," that's tough to take. But it wasn't like I'd been there for a long time, so in the end it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Plus my friend and coordinator [Linehan] had just left to become the head coach in St. Louis, and I was able to go with him, so I can't complain.

Silver: Saban wanted you to stick around and be Daunte's backup. Did you consider doing that?

Frerotte: Uh, no. I had already done that once. And my pride was hurt. We were 9-7 with me as the starter; I thought we had a good thing going.

Silver: What did you think of Saban as a head coach?

Frerotte: Sometimes you really didn't understand where he was coming from. He was always kind of doing all the talking, about everything, but he wasn't always listening. I think he wanted to get involved in the offense, but if you don't really know the offense -- and it was Scott's offense -- that's not necessarily a good idea.

Silver: You'd been with Scott in Minnesota, and that was a big reason you signed with Miami. Tell me about your relationship with him.

Frerotte: Well, he sticks up for his players. I found out later that coach Saban wanted to bench me for that last game of the season, because I had a bunch of incentives on the line, and it could have saved the organization money. But Scott told him, "He's the guy who's gotten us this far. There's no way we can bench him now."

Silver: When you found out that you'd almost been benched, were you shocked?

Frerotte: Not really. I knew it was a possibility because it happened to me in Denver in the last game of the 2000 season. Mike Shanahan took me out late in the game against the 49ers and played Jarious Jackson, and I missed a $500,000 playing time (percentage) incentive by one play.

Silver: Please tell me that didn't actually happen.

Frerotte: It did. It sucked. Five-hundred-thousand dollars is a big deal. We appealed it to the league, because he had taken me out for no reason. But when I asked Mike to get involved [with the appeal], he said it was out of his hands. And I lost. So I never got the money.

Who really cares what frerotte has to say, he is back to being a backup like he has been all his career. He did solid for us but to give him all the credit for us winning last year is ridiculous. Alot of teams saw him play last year and no one tryed to sign him to be thier starter, that speaks volumes. we would have been stupid to keep Gus at that insane price, I truly wish Saban had benched him like he said so we could have kept him ay lower price. He had value but not as a starter. Boo friggin hoo we tried to upgrade Qb and he did not want to be Daunte's backup, so he became Bulger's backup.

should have benched his *** on the last game...would have saved us a couple hundred thousand dollars, would have been nice...

I didn't see anything really wrong with what he said...he was telling the truth....man, what dirty deal Denver did...missed 500,000 by ONE play because Shanny yanked him on purpose.

some loyalty by scott to tell gus about the benchin...

if the bonus money effected this years cap, you have to think about that....

uhhh, gus...you are old

you sure are gettin a lot of playin time now

Back
Top Bottom