Gesicki, Will he be part of Flo future plan? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gesicki, Will he be part of Flo future plan?

Gesicki is a liability, as soon as he comes on the field the D knows its a pass. This is not helping. He needs to learn to block so that we can conceal what our intentions are. The kid from Boston is just as fast as G, but can come off the LOS to do what G does.

Kelce isnt a traditional tight end. In fact hes the least traditional. He leads his team in almost receiving category. 2nd of all time receiving leader. He is the teams number one target. Leads in yards, and scrimmage yards. Yards a game, most targeted, receptions, catching percentage. Not even Tony Gonzalez in his prime lead his team in all of these categories, not gronk, or any te ever.
You missed my point. When Kelce lines up close to the line, the team run/pass ratio is about 45/55. Thats means Kelce play almost half his downs blocking. He isn't line up wide out like MS. The defense has to play KC honest. Pre snap, Kelce is very traditional. PM likes to target him in passing downs has nothing to do with tradition. Its just that defense cannot cover him, and PM always find him.

You missed my point. When Kelce lines up close to the line, the team run/pass ratio is about 45/55. Thats means Kelce play almost half his downs blocking. He isn't line up wide out like MS. The defense has to play KC honest. Pre snap, Kelce is very traditional. PM likes to target him in passing downs has nothing to do with tradition. Its just that defense cannot cover him, and PM always find him.
how many kc games do you watch a year?

I have a serious question: why do y'all think Gesicki will get traded or released? It is worrisome with all the TEs we are signing but his blocking is improving.
I can't see him getting more than 10 million a year as the top handful of TE gods like Kittle and Kelce only make 15 mill a year.
How is 10 mill a year not affordable?

Gesicki is a liability, as soon as he comes on the field the D knows its a pass. This is not helping. He needs to learn to block so that we can conceal what our intentions are. The kid from Boston is just as fast as G, but can come off the LOS to do what G does.

What do you think he’s been learning and has gotten better at from day 1?

Last edited:
I have a serious question: why do y'all think Gesicki will get traded or released? It is worrisome with all the TEs we are signing but his blocking is improving.
I can't see him getting more than 10 million a year as the top handful of TE gods like Kittle and Kelce only make 15 mill a year.
How is 10 mill a year not affordable?
We need to ask ourselves, is Gesicki unique, and does he have a hard to duplicate skill set? Does his ability demand targets? The Patriots kept Gronkowski around for all those years because he could block well AND get open and catch. He was a difference-maker and became one of Brady's go-to guys. Gesicki, on the other hand, might be easier to replace based on what we are asking our TE to do. Unless he can become a real difference-maker and force us to keep him, I would guess we will continue to churn the position to keep the cap hit low so we can pay other more critical positions to our scheme more.

We need to ask ourselves, is Gesicki unique, and does he have a hard to duplicate skill set? Does his ability demand targets? The Patriots kept Gronkowski around for all those years because he could block well AND get open and catch. He was a difference-maker and became one of Brady's go-to guys. Gesicki, on the other hand, might be easier to replace based on what we are asking our TE to do. Unless he can become a real difference-maker and force us to keep him, I would guess we will continue to churn the position to keep the cap hit low so we can pay other more critical positions to our scheme more.

How does this even work? Your comparison for Gesicki is Gronk? One of, if not, the greatest TE that has ever played the game? Good lord!

How does this even work? Your comparison for Gesicki is Gronk? One of, if not, the greatest TE that has ever played the game? Good lord!
Yeah, sorry about that. I had a hard time getting my thoughts together this morning and should have done a better job making my point. No, I am not comparing Gesicki to Gronk. I was just trying to say that Gesicki's skill set might not be unique enough for us to keep him. There are levels of talent. Elite, great, good, or whatever you want to call it. Unless a guy distinguishes himself, teams are always looking to upgrade or find someone who can do the job cheaper.

Last edited:
I like Gesicki and think he represents a real threat In the passing game and don’t see any need to let him walk.

I think Miami would trade Gesicki for a decent price, or they'll just let him walk in 2022. He's not a particularly versatile player, and he is clogging spots that should go to Fuller, Waddle, and Parker. Maybe he makes a major leap as an in-line TE in 2021 and changes all that, but, at this point, his skillset does not appear to mesh well with the direction of the offense. That doesn't mean he's bad. He's just not so good that you bend over backwards to find him reps in front of the WR's. As a rotational player, he's really good.

An excellent post.

Focused, well balanced and entirely rational.

Yeah, sorry about that. I was having a hard time getting my thoughts together this morning and should have done a better job making my point. No, I am not comparing Gesicki to Gronk. I was just trying to say that Gesicki's skill set might not be unique enough for us to keep him.
By that manner if reasoning, no team should ever offer a TE an extension.

Ultimately, it's a question of how much he can get as a FA, compared to what Flo/Grier see as his value, and can his production be replaced.

It has zero to do with Gronk, Kelce or any other player not on this team

This is exactly what has been on my mind lately. Which direction is our offense trying to go? With the addition of Long, are we trying to compliment Gesicki or replace him?

We are developing an excellent team.

During this development period every position is being evaluated and, when possible, improved on.

Once we start winning and become a regular in the playoffs, we may place more value on familiarity and reliability then momentary "hero type" of performance players. That will be due to not needing heroics, since we will be consistently good in every facet of the game.

People just spout things out of their mouth because it sounds good to them. Jakeem Grant was top 10 in the league in broken tackles so that's not a fair comparison. Only 1 tight end had at least 10 broken tackles (Kelce with 10). Only 5 other tight ends had at least 5 broken tackles.

Could Gesicki break more tackles? Obviously, as he had 0. But if he got 1 every 4 games, he'd be top 10 in the league for tight ends in broken tackles.

Great perspective being presented.

Back
Top Bottom