GM/Head Coach Candidates | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

GM/Head Coach Candidates

I'd take Kellogg's Corn Flakes over what we got now..
He said Corn Flakes. Not even Frosted Flakes lol. That’s how low the bar is.
81 year old Ross better decide soon. I predict he’ll never see the playoffs. Sad.

Who are some realistic candidates for a replacement GM to take over either now or in the offseason? And why would you pick them?

For me: Ozzie Newsome (great track record, but very unlikely because he is retired) or maybe Pioli (former Pats/Chiefs GM) or if we take a risk Peyton Manning (virgin but great football mind)
I have been saying Ozzie, but maybe not as a GM but as a Czar. Then maybe bring Joe Horitz in as the GM with Ozzie watching over for a few years.

Flores is part of the problem. Grier is the disaster. He’s squandered free agency/cap space and draft picks like no one could imagine. I trust anyone on this board to draft better than Grier.

Does anyone know the story behind Philadelphia moving on from Doug Pederson?

I know he had early success there. Carson Wenz looked like a franchise quarterback early on as well.

Just seems odd that a team would fire a HC that won a super bowl a few years back. Incidentally, that was the first time I had seen NE have absolutely no answers to a team's offensive strategy. With Nick Foles at quarterback.
There are always three sides to every story, but from what I have read and heard is that Pederson was/is a bit abrasive to players and to the FO. After the Super Bowl he lost Reich, DiFilippo, and Swartz. He an Roseman didn't see eye to eye on player personnel. He and Wentz didn't get along. The final nail in the coffin for him was the botched ending of the final game in 2020 that many people felt he lost on purpose. I don't know that he lost on purpose but he kinda bit off his nose to spite his face. It turned into a pi$$ing contest between he an Roseman and Pederson was fired.

He's at the top of my list for available candidates.

Peterson lost the locker room in Philly. I wouldn't want him.
Actually he lost the GM and owner. The locker room was let walk by the GM. He lost Wentz, so if that means he lost the locker room ok, but Wentz was playing as bad as any QB in the league. The roster he had in his final year was old and beat up. I'm not saying he's perfect, he's an abrasive coach to both the players and the FO but it's hard to overlook his accomplishments as a HC.

To the people whining about rolling the dice on a rookie HC, this is essentially what you're saying. "Can we please get an established coach who is currently out of a job or about to be out of a job because they suck." This fanbase is retarded.
The problem with first time head coaches is not that it's their first time, hell all coaches had to have a first gig. The problem is how much experience do they have in putting a staff together. Rarely does the success if the team all fall on the shoulders of the HC. The HC doesn't coach every player, or every position group. He doesn't design or call every play. The successful first time HC is able to put a good staff together with a mix of experience and youth. I'm fine with a first time HC as long as they aren't still wet behind the ears in their coaching history. If you go the route of a first time HC, I'd like it to be a guy that has been around a bit. I like Brady, but can he actually build a staff? If I am going with a first time HC then I may look at Brian Daboll.

Daboll has history, he's been around for a while and has a lot of connections to be able to build a staff. Most of the time it's the staff that makes or break the HC. Flores mismanagement of his staff is what I have said will be his downfall.

Doug Pederson seems interesting. He's proven and will probably learn from his previous mistakes...
This is who I’d target. He played for Miami so there is a connection. He was close w Marino. He won a SB. And he got fired 2 years later due to politics around Wentz - not because he’s not a good coach.

Dude, every coach loses the locker room at some point. That’s today’s NFL. If we went by your standard then no one would hire any bonafide head coach. The guy won a SB with a backup QB. Sign me up for some of that!!!
And beat Tom Brady and Bill Belichik in the process! How they fired him 2 years later is nuts to me.

The problem with first time head coaches is not that it's their first time, hell all coaches had to have a first gig. The problem is how much experience do they have in putting a staff together. Rarely does the success if the team all fall on the shoulders of the HC. The HC doesn't coach every player, or every position group. He doesn't design or call every play. The successful first time HC is able to put a good staff together with a mix of experience and youth. I'm fine with a first time HC as long as they aren't still wet behind the ears in their coaching history. If you go the route of a first time HC, I'd like it to be a guy that has been around a bit. I like Brady, but can he actually build a staff? If I am going with a first time HC then I may look at Brian Daboll.

Daboll has history, he's been around for a while and has a lot of connections to be able to build a staff. Most of the time it's the staff that makes or break the HC. Flores mismanagement of his staff is what I have said will be his downfall.
Great post.

Unlike Philbin in Green Bay, Moore is the playcaller for Dallas.

I was skeptical of him for the past two years but this year he really has evolved into an OC who has a really good feel for the flow of the game.

I wouldn't be opposed to this. Prior to this year he had some interviews with some NFL teams for HC so it's not like GM don't know about him. He was limited as a player(lefty QB fwiw) but the reports always said he had a future as a coach.

Building a coaching staff may be hard though. But if McVay could build one in LA at 33 or whatever age he was when he started, there is a chance here.
But please clear house of the entire FO. Burn every scouting report and just use Madden over whatever Chris Grier recommended.

I don't think Marino wants to invest the time and work schedule required. Peyton would be better if we go the no experienced player route. Offer him or Newsome a % of ownership.

My only concern with Peyton is his judgment regarding Gase. I believe he was instrumental in securing two NFL coaching jobs (Dolphins and Jets) for Gase, and as we saw. Gase wasn't the answer for either franchise.

Unlike Philbin in Green Bay, Moore is the playcaller for Dallas.

I was skeptical of him for the past two years but this year he really has evolved into an OC who has a really good feel for the flow of the game.

I wouldn't be opposed to this. Prior to this year he had some interviews with some NFL teams for HC so it's not like GM don't know about him. He was limited as a player(lefty QB fwiw) but the reports always said he had a future as a coach.

Building a coaching staff may be hard though. But if McVay could build one in LA at 33 or whatever age he was when he started, there is a chance here.
But please clear house of the entire FO. Burn every scouting report and just use Madden over whatever Chris Grier recommended.
He has barely had a cup of coffee as a coach. He's only in his third year as a coach and he's been with Dallas all 2.5 years. Where is he getting his network of coaches. He may be a great coach someday but for now it's a hard pass.

McVay is a first time HC that had been coaching for 9 years with two different teams in the NFL. He walked into arguably the best roster in the NFL. Not taking away from what he's done, but not exactly the same situations.

Flores is part of the problem. Grier is the disaster. He’s squandered free agency/cap space and draft picks like no one could imagine. I trust anyone on this board to draft better than Grier.
They were in it together. IGGY and many other picks had flores’s fingerprints all over them.

And beat Tom Brady and Bill Belichik in the process! How they fired him 2 years later is nuts to me.
Yeah him and Coughlin had the Patriots number
Peterson to me is still fresh and young, bring him in for an interview. Hell, bring him in now even while Flores is still coaching LOL. Give Flores the Sporano treatment at this point

Who are some realistic candidates for a replacement GM to take over either now or in the offseason? And why would you pick them?

For me: Ozzie Newsome (great track record, but very unlikely because he is retired) or maybe Pioli (former Pats/Chiefs GM) or if we take a risk Peyton Manning (virgin but great football mind)
I think we could pick a name off a hat and come up with a better GM than Grier tbh

Back
Top Bottom