GM/Head Coach Candidates | Page 25 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

GM/Head Coach Candidates

I would aquire an analytics company and let them look into the portfolios of any candidates and their record for the last 5 years.

Let me see your hits and misses overall, not just who you would of drafted, I want to see who you thought would bust just as much as who you thought would be a star, who did you pass on..etc..

This is how the hiring process should happen for this very important position IMO.

Parcells was in that position (I’m not sure if it was Pre-Ross) and failed miserably.
He was employed by Wayne H. I wouldn't say he failed miserably but he wasn't successful. He became disinterested when Ross bought the team and then soon bolted

This I like. Why?

1a) From Florida
1b) Was a Hurricane
2) Currently works for a decent organization... Seattle
He’s put in the work and been around some great minds. He was part of the Cleveland rebuild before landing in Seattle and spent time in Green Bay before that. I think he’s due for a GM position and he has a lot of things going for him that would make him an interesting candidate for us.

I think the GM's work should be mostly administrative, including negotiating contracts with player agents. Drafting and, trading players should be the job of the head football coach and his staff.

I don't agree. I feel like the GM is the checks and balances guy. He needs to look at the organization as a whole.....now and the future. He needs to balance the wants/needs of the coach with what's best for the franchise. He needs to take the advice of his scouts and scouting director and not blindly listening to a coach who may fall in love with a specific player and over-value him. The more information, data, feedback you can get the more informed decision you can make. The vision and blueprint on how to build the team should be clear. That can vary based on scheme/HC strength but all that should be aligned before a guy is hired and before any FA pickups and Draft picks occur. The GM and HC have to be on the same page in that regard but healthy debate on specific players and fits is a good thing.

Coaches don't have enough time to watch all the college tape and visit the campuses to talk to coaches/trainers/teachers of potential draft picks. That's what the GM and his scouting staff should be focused on in-season while the HC and coaching staff focuses on the field.

There are a couple coaches out there with super bowls on their resumes.

Doug Peterson is only 53. He was an assistant to Andy Reid prior to winning a super bowl with Philadelphia. I think Tua would actually be a perfect fit in a Peterson offense.

Jim Harbaugh took the 49ers to a super bowl with Kapernick at quarterback. Ross pursued him before. His time at Michigan has been less than inspiring.

Mike Marz was the offensive coordinator for the greatest show on turf before taking over as HC. He took the Rams to the super bowl. I think Marz is close to 70 and I don't know if he wants to coach again. I also don't see Tua as a fit in a Marz offense.

Mike Shanahan? He must be closing in on 80.

Would the Patriots fire Bellicheck? Would the 49ers fire Kyle Shanahan?

I don't agree. I feel like the GM is the checks and balances guy. He needs to look at the organization as a whole.....now and the future. He needs to balance the wants/needs of the coach with what's best for the franchise. He needs to take the advice of his scouts and scouting director and not blindly listening to a coach who may fall in love with a specific player and over-value him. The more information, data, feedback you can get the more informed decision you can make. The vision and blueprint on how to build the team should be clear. That can vary based on scheme/HC strength but all that should be aligned before a guy is hired and before any FA pickups and Draft picks occur. The GM and HC have to be on the same page in that regard but healthy debate on specific players and fits is a good thing.

Coaches don't have enough time to watch all the college tape and visit the campuses to talk to coaches/trainers/teachers of potential draft picks. That's what the GM and his scouting staff should be focused on in-season while the HC and coaching staff focuses on the field.

Agree.

The GM should be the strategist & HC the tactician

It's helpful to have a competent scouting department, definitely. The coach (and his scouts) needs to know which potential addition to the roster is the best fit for the team's culture and style of play. I just believe the GM-working-with-the-coach concept sounds good in theory but rarely works well. The 49ers, for example , supposedly have an ideal set up with Lynch as GM and Shannahan as coach but the results have not been great to date and my guess is it won't last.

As bad as things have been this year many of the names thrown out there as options in this thread make me think twice about cutting bait on Flores.

Pederson or Moore would interest me, most others would not.

We don’t have a good track record with LSU coaches :cool:

In all seriousness, I like O, but I don’t even think LSU wanted him. I don’t think he’s been a high profile hire in college, so I doubt he’d be able to build a pro staff and be successful.

Arguably the best coach ever, and arguably the best QB ever, and the QB looks to be the most important part. How's that "Patriot Way" looking?
The coach is the "most important part". The " Patriot Way" is good when Belichick is running the show. The late, great Bill Walsh coached 49er teams did great with not only Montana and Young but also Matt Cavanaugh and Steve Bono playing QB.
I agree that the Dolphins hiring ex-Patriot employees to manage/coach at Miami is not a good strategy, but that's a separate subject from coach vs. QB.

Back
Top Bottom