GM Time - Dalvin Cook Versus The Bank | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

GM Time - Dalvin Cook Versus The Bank

Spend the Byron Jones Money on Dalvin Cook or Bank It To Help With Next Year's Payroll

• Dalvin Cook

Votes: 62 56.9%
  • Bank

Votes: 47 43.1%

• Total voters
Not sure I follow the logic. They are waiting for the same reason Jones is a post June first. To spread the dead cap over 2 years. Once they make the cut, they no longer have his rights, and can't trade him to anyone. That's not to say they have to cut him immediately, but why would Miami trade for him and assume the contract, when they can just wait and get him cheaper as a FA?

Your post is a rationalization.
They don’t have to wait to do that. You can cut a guy with a post-June 1 designation before June 1. He stays on your salary cap until June 2, but the deed is done and the player is free to sign with another team. But they save another $2 million against the cap if they trade him post-June 1, rather than cutting him.

Miami would trade for him in this scenario because it guarantees them the player. If they wait for him to hit the open market, they risk the chance that someone else will trade for him before then, that he and Minnesota will work something out, or that Minnesota will hold onto him until way later in the off-season than we like. Then, even if he does hit the open market, Miami has to be the high bidder.

If they can deal a late round pick to avoid all of that and lock up the player, while the player agrees to a reasonable reworked contract that is acceptable to the Dolphins, it is the best outcome for all involved. Minnesota saves money and gets a late pick, Miami gets the player they want at the price they want, and the player goes to the team he wants and gets a reworked deal he likes.

I am happy with the running backs now on the roster. If Cook is willing to sign for the veterans minimum, that would be the only way I would want them to spend any of their cap money on him. I prefer they use the Jones money to resign Wilkins to a new contract and hopefully they will find the money to pay Sieler beyond the 2023 season.

They don’t have to wait to do that. You can cut a guy with a post-June 1 designation before June 1. He stays on your salary cap until June 2, but the deed is done and the player is free to sign with another team. But they save another $2 million against the cap if they trade him post-June 1, rather than cutting him.

Miami would trade for him in this scenario because it guarantees them the player. If they wait for him to hit the open market, they risk the chance that someone else will trade for him before then, that he and Minnesota will work something out, or that Minnesota will hold onto him until way later in the off-season than we like. Then, even if he does hit the open market, Miami has to be the high bidder.

If they can deal a late round pick to avoid all of that and lock up the player, while the player agrees to a reasonable reworked contract that is acceptable to the Dolphins, it is the best outcome for all involved. Minnesota saves money and gets a late pick, Miami gets the player they want at the price they want, and the player goes to the team he wants and gets a reworked deal he likes.

This is what I'm thinking as well. Minnesota saves $2mm by trading rather than cutting, so it wouldn't be bonkers to think that all parties involved have come to some sort of an arrangement where Minnesota eats some of the contract, Miami eats some, and Cook restructures so he gets a little more guaranteed.

It's not a huge stretch to come to that conclusion, imo.

Why haven't the Vikings released Dalvin Cook yet?
What would be the advantage in doing so? Once they do, they give up any rights. Who knows what could possibly transpire, regardless of how unlikely. Or, maybe it has become so contentious that they just want to screw with him.

Just playing devil's advocate here. I don't mind bringing him in if the price is right

Miami isn't going to take that contract as is, IMO. Doing so would be foolish, given the circumstances.

I am all for saving money for a rainy day.
Do we really need Cook?
If we count Achane, we have three backs to give playing time. Cook likely puts Achane on the PS where he may get scooped up and we do not have him for 2024.
I am not trying to minimize Cook’s talent, just asking if he is needed as much as something else.
No way is Achane going to the practice squad. Only way he won't be suited up for game one is if he gets on IR in preseason.

What would be the advantage in doing so? Once they do, they give up any rights. Who knows what could possibly transpire, regardless of how unlikely. Or, maybe it has become so contentious that they just want to screw with him.

Just playing devil's advocate here. I don't mind bringing him in if the price is right

The advantage would be that they can move on from him. He pretty clearly doesn't want to be there any more.

The only reasons that make sense to me to have NOT released him yet are:

1) They just want to screw with him.

2) They have a trade in place with a team that cannot be processed until said team has money to use as of 6/1 due to salary cap constraints.

Edit: I believe the second is far more likely than the first.

The poll is entirely too binary.

Unless one just hates Cook, for whatever irrational reason, it becomes a matter of where you fall on the price point.

re-doing wilkins to lower his hit this year just puts more burden into the future. there is no free lunch sadly
It’s not “re-doing” Wilkins, though. It’s signing him to an extension, which can lower his current cap number.

It’s not “re-doing” Wilkins, though. It’s signing him to an extension, which can lower his current cap number.
Irrespective of the language or semantics, yes you can lower this year's cap hit, but you are still pushing $ down the road.

Not that that is a good or bad way to go, it depends on the reasoning.

Miami isn't going to take that contract as is, IMO. Doing so would be foolish, given the circumstances.
Of course, but they can trade for him with a reworked deal already in place. That’s exactly what we did with Ramsey. Cook knows he’s not getting paid out on his current deal under any circumstances. He has an incentive to agree to a reasonable reworking of his contract with a team he actually wants to play for.

Of course, but they can trade for him with a reworked deal already in place. That’s exactly what we did with Ramsey. Cook knows he’s not getting paid out on his current deal under any circumstances. He has an incentive to agree to a reasonable reworking of his contract with a team he actually wants to play for.
Did we give Ramsey less $?

Back
Top Bottom