GM Time - Dalvin Cook Versus The Bank | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

GM Time - Dalvin Cook Versus The Bank

Spend the Byron Jones Money on Dalvin Cook or Bank It To Help With Next Year's Payroll

• Dalvin Cook

Votes: 62 56.9%
  • Bank

Votes: 47 43.1%

• Total voters
I am all for saving money for a rainy day.
Do we really need Cook?
If we count Achane, we have three backs to give playing time. Cook likely puts Achane on the PS where he may get scooped up and we do not have him for 2024.
I am not trying to minimize Cook’s talent, just asking if he is needed as much as something else.
Achane will definitely be on the Dolphins Active roster.

Achane will definitely be on the Dolphins Active roster.
I don’t think Cook will end up with the Dolphins but if he does as you stated, Achane is going to make the final roster, Cook or no Cook, Ahmed or Gaskin will be the RB’s likely to end up on the PS or released.

I believe Achane will likely end up being the RB that will have the most combined yardage of any RB on the roster in 2023.

Do we really need Cook?
If we count Achane, we have three backs to give playing time. Cook likely puts Achane on the PS where he may get scooped up and we do not have him for 2024.
I am not trying to minimize Cook’s talent, just asking if he is needed as much as something else.
Achane is definitely not going to be on the Practice Squad! He definitely will be on the 53-man roster!

Still one of the best. Imagine seeing them in concert, and then they don't play this song? Might be worse than seeing Men Without Hats, and they don't play Safety Dance!

I couldnt see myself purchasing a ticket to either!!

Why is your issue with my issue on the issue germane to the question at hand on the other hand? Where are we headed here?

In all seriousness, they can free up some cap room for this season by giving Wilkins a new contract. I don't know what you're even taking issue with at this point?

Spiderman Pointing GIF by Regal
The goddamn Germans got nothin to do with this
1684207478212.jpeg

I feel you're being a little hard on Jeff Wilson here. I agree that he's a part of a committee and doesn't have much trade value.

...however.

When healthy, and used properly, Jeff Wilson is a nasty part of that committee. The guy has produced at pretty much every opportunity. 176 rushes last year for 860 yards isn't something you just cast aside.
Yeah I mean, statistically, he looks good.

On the other hand, when Miami was in run mode, or needed a short yardage first down, or in run formations, etc etc… he wasn’t anything special. He had one excellent game and a bunch of mother okay ones on a team that you never expected to run, so when we did, we legit caught teams off guard.

He’s fine. Nothing wrong with him. I would be happy to have him as our 3rd string running back. I wouldn’t want to cut him by any stretch.

But yeah, my preference is that he gets 3-5 touches a game, not 10-12z

They still have plenty of time to sign more OL depth if they want. Getting Wynn shouldn’t stop us from trying to get one more versatile depth piece. I’d pay Cook in the 5-8mil range for a 1 year rental and not think twice about it.
That price tag seems low? I would love it for sure but someone will offer him more. Unless he really wants to take a haircut to play for us

Now that Tyler Kroft (TE) and Isaiah Wynn (RT) are signed, my guess is the Dolphins are done with free agents. There are no real impact players left. They have pretty much burned through all of their existing cap space. I think they had ~$3mm left before the Wynn deal was announced. Come June 1, about $13.5mm more will free up with the Byron Jones release. The good news about not having much of a draft class is they don't need to set aside a lot of money to sign the draftees. My guess is there will be about $10mm left after the draft class is signed. Enough to pay Dalvin Cook. However, the Dolphins have Tua's salary jumping up to $20mm and change next year, and probably need to pay up for Christian Wilkins as well. They could bank the $10mm at this point, and have it roll over into next year's cap, giving them more roster flexibility for next year so there is less pressure to jettison players because of the cap. Maybe they can still get lucky and deal Cedric Wilson. They might be able to get out from under Ogbah next year as well. And maybe even Xavien Howard, depending on how Cam Smith looks. But as of now, those are all maybe's. It is also unclear if Tua can make it through a whole season healthy, and the schedule this year is pretty tough as well. At this point, GM me is not going all in on this year (we have done enough) and I bank the money to help next year. I think the running back room as it stands now is fine, and GM me does not spend $8mm on a running back in the modern NFL. I would have invested more into the OL early in FA, but that didn't happen, so as things stand now I put the money in the bank and preserve more flexibility for next year.
There is absolutely reason to sign Dalvin Cook right now. Our running back room is stacked with Achane, Mostert, and Wilson. All 3 are good backs with speed who fit with what McDaniels wants to do. It’s a waste of money to sign Dalvin cook.

Do we really need Cook?
Cook would replace Gaskin, not Achane who will not end up on the practice squad this year under any circumstances.

This is what I'm thinking as well. Minnesota saves $2mm by trading rather than cutting, so it wouldn't be bonkers to think that all parties involved have come to some sort of an arrangement where Minnesota eats some of the contract, Miami eats some, and Cook restructures so he gets a little more guaranteed.
This is exactly what will happen IMO

There is absolutely reason to sign Dalvin Cook right now. Our running back room is stacked with Achane, Mostert, and Wilson. All 3 are good backs with speed who fit with what McDaniels wants to do. It’s a waste of money to sign Dalvin cook.
Mostert and Wilson had injuries last year and neither are elite. Achane is an unproven, 188 lb rookie. Cook is elite and we definitely need him. I think it’s a foregone conclusion that we sign him.

Mostert and Wilson had injuries last year and neither are elite. Achane is an unproven, 188 lb rookie. Cook is elite and we definitely need him. I think it’s a foregone conclusion that we sign him.
I guess it all depends upon how you feel about our running back room. I think he’s an incremental upgrade and possibly not worth it from a cost benefit standpoint especially based on drafting achane who last reported is up to 192 pounds, but also, I think McDaniel wants to see what he has in him. But, you never know I suppose…

I vote C. Spend it on more Olinemen

We can win a Superbowl next year if we improve the Oline!

I vote C. Spend it on more Olinemen

We can win a Superbowl next year if we improve the Oline!
Who do you suggest that is available with the assets we have? Easy to keep saying fix it. Tell us what you would do. The rhetoric gets real old. You almost never post in detail about anything else, which is a shame because I'm sure you have opinions of value on other things

Back
Top Bottom