GM Time - Dalvin Cook Versus The Bank | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

GM Time - Dalvin Cook Versus The Bank

Spend the Byron Jones Money on Dalvin Cook or Bank It To Help With Next Year's Payroll

• Dalvin Cook

Votes: 62 56.9%
  • Bank

Votes: 47 43.1%

• Total voters
All you guys whipping up excitement about spending top $ to add Dalvin Cook need to calm the **** down. It is highly unlikely that anything will happen. The constant daily whipping into a frenzy that it's going to happen is frankly pretty irresponsible. I just don't think it's going to happen.
(1) If history tells us anything, GM Chris Grier doesn't value the RB position like all you fantasy football guys and he doesn't pay absolute top $. (I know that you don't want to hear that, because you think that you could be GM).
(2) We heard how Coach Mike McDaniel banged the table to draft Devonn Achane and he persuaded Grier to use a 3rd round pick to get him. Now having got him plus his 2 RBs from the 49ers (Mostert and Wilson), we're now just going to throw that plan out the window and operate with a top $ bell-cow RB in Dalvin Cook. Sure....
(3) There are many other teams that have the cash to spend on Cook. His decision will be probably be based on $ guaranteed. He won't make his decision on how good he looks in aqua and white and the excitement of playing with Tyreek and Tua.
Make no mistake, Cook is very, very good but the Miami Dolphins have bigger needs for the future.

All you guys whipping up excitement about spending top $ to add Dalvin Cook need to calm the **** down. It is highly unlikely that anything will happen. The constant daily whipping into a frenzy that it's going to happen is frankly pretty irresponsible. I just don't think it's going to happen.
(1) If history tells us anything, GM Chris Grier doesn't value the RB position like all you fantasy football guys and he doesn't pay absolute top $. (I know that you don't want to hear that, because you think that you could be GM).
(2) We heard how Coach Mike McDaniel banged the table to draft Devonn Achane and he persuaded Grier to use a 3rd round pick to get him. Now having got him plus his 2 RBs from the 49ers (Mostert and Wilson), we're now just going to throw that plan out the window and operate with a top $ bell-cow RB in Dalvin Cook. Sure....
(3) There are many other teams that have the cash to spend on Cook. His decision will be probably be based on $ guaranteed. He won't make his decision on how good he looks in aqua and white and the excitement of playing with Tyreek and Tua.
Make no mistake, Cook is very, very good but the Miami Dolphins have bigger needs for the future.

Did you seriously just suggest we’re being irresponsible by discussing a potential FA signing?

There’s been an awful lot of smoke linking Cook to Miami…and it’s not coming from Fantasy Football gurus.

You certainly don’t know that it’s “highly unlikely.”

And it’s May.

stripes lighten GIF

You make several valid points, particularly as it addresses the "extreme" position of a few posters.

I think the majority, though, either realize we won't, or don't want to, pay top $. At least I don't see much of the "whatever the cost" mentality.

What I see are differing opinions on where the cost/value intersection point lies.

I do think there is a lot of rationalizing going on to support a desire without much evidence.

I also think his wanting to be here is often overblown when ppl somehow think he will take a clearly inferior offer.

I don’t agree.

(1) You’re misinterpreting history if that’s what you get from it. History tells us that Chris Grier lets his head coach drive the bus on personnel. We made Chase Edmonds one of the highest paid RBs in the NFL last offseason, traded a 5th round pick for another RB mid-season, and drafted a RB in the third round this off-season. We have put a lot of resources into the RB position since McDaniel became head coach, and according to McDaniel himself in his post-draft interview, we remain interested in adding a veteran RB.

(2) We’re not throwing any plan out the window. Raheem Mostert is 31 and has started more than 8 games in a season once in his entire career—last year. Jeff Wilson is a career third and fourth string player. A top two of Mostert and Wilson is one of the worst RB situations in the NFL. Combined, they are making $4.4 million in cap space, which is about $1 million more than we paid Myles Gaskin and Salvon Ahmed last year. Achane is a very versatile rookie who weighs 190 pounds and will probably get 5-8 touches a game for the first half of the season. Adding Dalvin Cook turns Mostert into a back-up, Wilson into a third-stringer, and Achane into a versatile chess piece. That’s exactly what our RB room should look like.

(3) Yes, other teams would be interested in paying Cook. But few teams need him as much as we do. What other contender will have $15 million-plus in cap space and a starting RB worse than Raheem Mostert? He makes the most sense for us.

Anyway, you will see. He’s coming.

Reactions: TFK
Did you seriously just suggest we’re being irresponsible by discussing a potential FA signing?

There’s been an awful lot of smoke linking Cook to Miami…and it’s not coming from Fantasy Football gurus.

You certainly don’t know that it’s “highly unlikely.”

And it’s May.

stripes lighten GIF
True, but the ppl claiming it is almost a sure thing don't know either, but pretend that they do

That $hit goes both ways.

Like I said in my above post, and before, he would be an overall upgrade to the unit. How much, and at what cost is it a good idea, is certainly debatable.

Unfortunately, this discussion has largely degenerated into an "I'm right, you're wrong", closed minded pissing contest. That, I think, is what @spiketex is getting at.

I'm not referring to you. We have debated it as reasonable ppl. Our price point verses added value opinion differs, but we are both being reasonable, IMO.

I don’t agree.

(1) You’re misinterpreting history if that’s what you get from it. History tells us that Chris Grier lets his head coach drive the bus on personnel. We made Chase Edmonds one of the highest paid RBs in the NFL last offseason, traded a 5th round pick for another RB mid-season, and drafted a RB in the third round this off-season. We have put a lot of resources into the RB position since McDaniel became head coach, and according to McDaniel himself in his post-draft interview, we remain interested in adding a veteran RB.

(2) We’re not throwing any plan out the window. Raheem Mostert is 31 and has started more than 8 games in a season once in his entire career—last year. Jeff Wilson is a career third and fourth string player. A top two of Mostert and Wilson is one of the worst RB situations in the NFL. Combined, they are making $4.4 million in cap space, which is about $1 million more than we paid Myles Gaskin and Salvon Ahmed last year. Achane is a very versatile rookie who weighs 190 pounds and will probably get 5-8 touches a game for the first half of the season. Adding Dalvin Cook turns Mostert into a back-up, Wilson into a third-stringer, and Achane into a versatile chess piece. That’s exactly what our RB room should look like.

(3) Yes, other teams would be interested in paying Cook. But few teams need him as much as we do. What other contender will have $15 million-plus in cap space and a starting RB worse than Raheem Mostert? He makes the most sense for us.

Anyway, you will see. He’s coming.
Excellent example of what I was just posting about........ Thanks for aiding me in establishing my point as valid

True, but the ppl claiming it is almost a sure thing don't know either, but pretend that they do

That $hit goes both ways.

Like I said in my above post, and before, he would be an overall upgrade to the unit. How much, and at what cost is it a good idea, is certainly debatable.

Unfortunately, this discussion has largely degenerated into an "I'm right, you're wrong", closed minded pissing contest. That, I think, is what @spiketex is getting at.

I'm not referring to you. We have debated it as reasonable ppl. Our price point verses added value opinion differs, but we are both being reasonable, IMO.

Nothing is a sure thing until it happens, but again…some people legitimately hear things. My contention was entirely based on the assertion that discussing it was irresponsible.

If he comes here I will be excited AF.

If he doesnt, we move along with the season.

I kinda hope he comes to Miami, but thats just me.

Exactly my view on this.

I hope he does come here, however, if he doesn't, I'm excited with the idea of Achane getting more touches and seeing what he could do

The less you use this year the more you can roll over to next year as a credit.
Bingo... which was the original point of the thread.

I find it so weird that some folks just don't understand that saving money this year would lead directly to maintaining an expensive player NEXT year.

No matter how many times we explain this... slowly... it just doesn't sink in.

Bingo... which was the original point of the thread.

I find it so weird that some folks just don't understand that saving money this year would lead directly to maintaining an expensive player NEXT year.

No matter how many times we explain this... slowly... it just doesn't sink in.
To be fair, that’s not what the guy was saying. His point isn’t inconsistent with yours. He was responding to the point about Wilkins getting extended in a way that would lower his 2023 cap number, and he asked why they would need to extend him in a way that lowers his 2023 cap number since they already will have enough money to sign Cook with the Byron Jones savings.

Basically you’re both right.

Exactly my view on this.

I hope he does come here, however, if he doesn't, I'm excited with the idea of Achane getting more touches and seeing what he could do

In all honesty the room is pretty set right now as it stands. Talented vet, semi talented vet, really talented rookie, veteran depth, veteran depth. Mostert, Wilson, Achane, Gaskin, Ahmed.

Cook is a luxury we don’t need but…

Who doesn’t want a luxury?

Back
Top Bottom