Go for the jugular... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Go for the jugular...

Most teams that have really good OL's have to pay for them (draft capital or salary). It's a gamble to try to fill your line with guys who need significant development or have significant limitations. Ideally, you have someone better starting in front of developmental players, and if they do develop, you can move on from the more-expensive player. Miami can probably afford to be a little more patient, because there's a real chance the new franchise guy won't start until 2021. So, they could potentially afford to cheap some positions in 2020 and always find better replacements in 2021 if the cheaper options don't work out. Good idea to lockdown OT and C in 2020, though.
One interesting thing I noticed is the salary of OTs in the NFL... Compared to other positions, the average salary from Elite to good to jag had very little downslope, and the average bust salary is the highest of any position.

I really dont know what to make of it, just thought it was interesting...

One interesting thing I noticed is the salary of OTs in the NFL... Compared to other positions, the average salary from Elite to good to jag had very little downslope, and the average bust salary is the highest of any position.

I think you have just defined exactly why we should be drafting our Tackles, rather than signing them. The high cost of mediocrity.

I think it's probably because it's such a needed position and because some teams probably understand that good is good enough. If good is good enough, as it is with OT, but you need at least good, it makes sense for teams, particularly teams that need to win now, to overspend on good OT's when they need them. The problem is that some mediocre or even bad OT's get mistaken for good enough, and I'm guessing that's where the high bust salary comes from.

If Miami can secure 2 Offensive Linemen in Free Agency, it go a long way in solving the problems along the line. F/A looks to have the most depth at the OG position, so getting in on that action, should be a priority. Miami with an enormous cash of draft picks could fill in what they didn't do at OT, in F/A. The Patriots game showed what a good pass blocking line can accomplish. Now get some players who can do the same for the run game.

Thuney is the guy I really want. As I've said before, normally I wouldn't pay a Guard the kind of money that he will get, but he'd fix the interior of our line while we look for star Tackles in this Tackle-studded draft.
I think he’s a shoe in to come here tbh

I think it's probably because it's such a needed position and because some teams probably understand that good is good enough. If good is good enough, as it is with OT, but you need at least good, it makes sense for teams, particularly teams that need to win now, to overspend on good OT's when they need them. The problem is that some mediocre or even bad OT's get mistaken for good enough, and I'm guessing that's where the high bust salary comes from.

Yup, the modern NFL is an Edge game and keeping those pass rushers off your paycheck QB is the most important thing.

The thing with the cap here, is Miami needs to be careful, they have a **** ton of high picks in the next 2 drafts anif they hit a decent amount, they need to make sure they dont crumble when all those guys need to be signed.... I know its way far down the road but this need to be accounted for... IMO

The thing with the cap here, is Miami needs to be careful, they have a **** ton of high picks in the next 2 drafts anif they hit a decent amount, they need to make sure they dont crumble when all those guys need to be signed.... I know its way far down the road but this need to be accounted for... IMO

Also hard to maintain the kind of culture Flores has built with a bunch of guys that just received career contracts in FA.

If the Fins get to the middle of the 2nd, and JK Dobbins is still there....
I don't want to be like the Giants, putting years of tread on their franchise RB while they keep looking
for a QB. find the QB first. Dobbins behind this OL? it would be like sending Lewis Hamilton on the track
in a Ford Festiva

Not too long ago I was looking at this off season as a massive few months for the phins...now, whatever 53 players we give to Flores I'm confident he's gonna make a team out of them

yeah but horse face Elway is certified stupid!
Actually, no, that's the going rate these days. Look at the ridiculous amount of draft capital we got for LT, plus Houston has to pay him probably the highest Oline contract in history.

The only cost effective way, is to draft your tackles. We are not one or two players away, and if we go down the road of overpaying FAs, we will be right back up against the cap, and right back where we started.

I know ppl have the "win now" mentality, but don't fall into that trap. Stick to the plan. Build it the sustainable way, foundation up. There are no shortcuts, unless you get lucky, and you can't buy luck.

Miami has three major needs. O line, RB, DE.

I agree with the O line thoughts, that does need to be upgraded, but I would do that via FA. Miami have the coin, use it on Scherff.
With RB, I would look at Henry from the Titans, or Eckler from the Chargers.
DE via the draft at this point, only cause I am not sure who is available from FA.

Really keen on FA this year.

Actually, no, that's the going rate these days. Look at the ridiculous amount of draft capital we got for LT, plus Houston has to pay him probably the highest Oline contract in history.

The only cost effective way, is to draft your tackles. We are not one or two players away, and if we go down the road of overpaying FAs, we will be right back up against the cap, and right back where we started.

I know ppl have the "win now" mentality, but don't fall into that trap. Stick to the plan. Build it the sustainable way, foundation up. There are no shortcuts, unless you get lucky, and you can't buy luck.
I think thats a good way to go about things, for all high value positions.

Back
Top Bottom