Godchaux "resigned" that NFL future likely isn't with Miami | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Godchaux "resigned" that NFL future likely isn't with Miami

Should we resign Godchaux

• Total voters
People always want to think Miami has been in a bad stretch because we don't draft well. I wouldn't argue that we do, but when we've generated home grown talent we've done a piss poor job of maintaining it. Vernon and Jarvis Landry are two good examples.

I don't see where Vernon and Godchaux git in. Vernon had a good year before he hit fa and he was also the type of pass rusher who was undervalued because he didn't get the same amount of sacks as a Cam Wake but had more overall hurries and pressure. Until this year Godchaux has been improving but Vernon was a real impact player.
Massive revisionist history.

He was considered a bust his first two years, had a “solid” third year, had a DOWN 4th year and Miami tried to resign and extend him and at the time he wanted 10mil/yr (which was top DE money) so we said no because that would have been insane, and he broke out in his 5th season.

He signed a massive deal with the Giants and had good stretches but was never going to live up that deal he got with them - and he didn’t. A good player but not worth the contract he got. Happy he got it elsewhere.

Godchauex probably gets 2yr/$10mil is my guess.

He was considered a bust his first two years, had a “solid” third year, had a DOWN 4th year and Miami tried to resign and extend him and at the time he wanted 10mil/yr (which was top DE money) so we said no because that would have been insane, and he broke out in his 5th season.

He signed a massive deal with the Giants and had good stretches but was never going to live up that deal he got with them - and he didn’t. A good player but not worth the contract he got. Happy he got it elsewhere.

Yeah, when I think of the downfall of the Dolphins in the past 20 years, not resigning Landry and Vernon are not even in the top 50 biggest contributing factors.

Ownership, front office, coaching. Once those are fixed, then quibbles about minor player issues can be considered. Until those things are addressed, nothing else will matter.

Wrong year to stand firm on being overpaid.

Settle for a reasonable 1 year deal, prove your worth, and the grass might be greener next year.

Wrong year to stand firm on being overpaid.

Settle for a reasonable 1 year deal, prove your worth, and the grass might be greener next year.
Eh, when you’re a role player looking for your first real money deal, and coming off a serious season ending injury, you take the money the first chance you get.

There is no bad blood here with him and the team, just the reality that this guy needs to lock up money wherever he can get it THIS year and the Dolphins just don’t need him that bad.

He should and will go to the team that will pay him the highest money. This is just the simple economics of his situation.

He's young and ascending (potentially better days still ahead) and pretty solid -- based on the numbers being kicked around he'll probably land a 5.5 - 6.5 mil deal with some sugar on the side.

I'm sure Flo would like him back at a value $ point. He's a great kid. Team guy. Hard worker. Dedicated. And has done
nothing wrong in Miami. If some team is willing to pay him 8-9 mil that's way too rich IMO.

He's young and ascending (potentially better days still ahead) and pretty solid -- based on the numbers being kicked around he'll probably land a 5.5 - 6.5 mil deal with some sugar on the side.

I'm sure Flo would like him back at a value $ point. He's a great kid. Team guy. Hard worker. Dedicated. And has done
nothing wrong in Miami. If some team is willing to pay him 8-9 mil that's way too rich IMO.
I agree. Would love for him to stay in Miami but it isn't economically feasible for 2021. But on the bright side if he signs elsewhere Hopefully Miami receives a comp pick in return?

Last edited:
MEH,

That's the way a lot of agents try to work it. Ask for the moon, fulliy aware that it isn't realistic. Then they settle for half the amount.

Anyway, I don't see him back in Miami.

I agree, but it seems some agents actually tell the guy he's WORTH $130mm/yr. With some frequency we see an angry player claiming to be 'disrespected' because they had to take less. As long as DG understands $9mm is ideal but not expected, I have no problem. I'm like the others . . . I'd like him back, but not at $9mm

I had to look this up because I remember Vernon as being a guy people complained didn't get sacks...was a run stuff DE. Vernon was solid when he was here. The sacks are the column that begins with 3.5 in his rookie season.

Capture.PNG

The over/under here is about what I think he gets on the market; maybe slightly more. The issue is that there are only so many teams with cap space to sign what is going to be a glut of free agents.

In my opinion, there are going to be a few panic signings near the end of this year’s free agency musical chairs...because there are going to be more free agents than seats available when the music stops.

I'd let him test free agency and get back to us.

First, my philosophy. Pick a position - QB, Punter, DT. In any given year, there are only 26-28 (52-56 for DT) who are NFL quality starters. Part of the reason for churn every year. That's one of the reasons some teams 'overpay' for average talent. DG will find takers. The question is 'for how much.' The cap hurdle may lower his value. Wish him well, but wish him back

I think his time was coming to an end here as soon as Miami selected Raekwon Davis last draft. Just wouldn’t make much sense to me to re-sign him since he’s a true 0 technique and would only take snaps away from a better player in Raekwon Davis.

Wish him well, he seems like a good dude, but that money can be better spent elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom