Good point where Henne need to improve and could have won the Tampa game.. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Good point where Henne need to improve and could have won the Tampa game..

Another thing here is that how in the hell can you infer anything from an angled ( bad one at that) 2d photo?! Also there is a defender that has his arms up that may be in his LOS and we can't see from that angle. Also we all know Henne has the arm to make that throw. The logical deduction here is that he either straight out missed the read or he didn't trust what he saw. Henne has been protecting the ball more as he should. The old Henne may throw that ball and have it picked.

As his confidence and knowledge of the system improves, you will see him take more chances. I like what I see thus far and I'm rolling with that.

Well, I think there are different degrees of minus. Not connecting on a fairly routine touchdown is not an extreme minus the way throwing a pick or fumbling would have been, but to my mind missing that read (or simply not have the willingness to pull the trigger combined with a poor sense of how much pressure he was really under on that play) does constitute a negative grade on that play.

Everyone has their own methods of grading but to me "it could have been worse" (meaning, a pick or a fumble) is no reason to say that his performance on that play wasn't substandard. I tend to be a pretty strict grader, though.

But that doesn't mean Mando isn't a douchnozzle, because he obviously is. But that also doesn't mean he's wrong every time he says something.

Do you think Henne should have chucked it early anticipating the Bess break? I wonder how much timing in a new offense has an effect of maybe the confidence in Chad to attempt that throw, in addition to the shaky OLine in front of him. Watching it live, I even said Henne would of had to gun it in there for that to be complete, and even that was a stretch. I'm thinking even at that instance in the still frame, if Henne rifles it right there, does the safety break in time to make a play on the ball? And what about the defender with his arm up?

I can't argue Henne probably having a bad sense of how much pressure he "actually" had on that play, because it seems the OLine stepped up to the plate and he had more time. But he already missed Bess in that shot . . . I think his best bet was Hartline if he keeps his head up, but still this definitely wasn't open and shut. It was one of Henne's "negative" plays of the night, but that in itself lends to the type of success Henne was having that night to where we have to stretch on Henne playing it safe and securing points. I'm sure we will have moments like this in the regular season, maybe Chad will do a better job of improvising and getting 6 points there.

It definitely will prove easier to convince me this was a "minus" for chad over agreeing that Mando isn't wrong everytime he says something :lol:

If I remember correctly, John Lynch said "good mind game" about henne recognizing that they switched to the "tampa two" and pulling the ball down.

It didn't matter the D, hartline ran a fantastic route, he really set up the Defender and had the out to himself, with that much separation..I looked at it a couple of times on the game play back.. great route by him..Henne when going forward 2 to 3 steps up with his head up could have delivered the ball to him, I've seen Henne make that throw to Hartline countless times before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those pictures are complete BS. You could make an argument, for each picture, that the defender(s) could have jumped the route and picked the ball off. Still pictures do not prove anything when compared to real live action. I am sorry, but Armando is still a douche.

Do you think Henne should have chucked it early anticipating the Bess break? I wonder how much timing in a new offense has an effect of maybe the confidence in Chad to attempt that throw, in addition to the shaky OLine in front of him. Watching it live, I even said Henne would of had to gun it in there for that to be complete, and even that was a stretch. I'm thinking even at that instance in the still frame, if Henne rifles it right there, does the safety break in time to make a play on the ball? And what about the defender with his arm up?

I can't argue Henne probably having a bad sense of how much pressure he "actually" had on that play, because it seems the OLine stepped up to the plate and he had more time. But he already missed Bess in that shot . . . I think his best bet was Hartline if he keeps his head up, but still this definitely wasn't open and shut. It was one of Henne's "negative" plays of the night, but that in itself lends to the type of success Henne was having that night to where we have to stretch on Henne playing it safe and securing points. I'm sure we will have moments like this in the regular season, maybe Chad will do a better job of improvising and getting 6 points there.

It definitely will prove easier to convince me this was a "minus" for chad over agreeing that Mando isn't wrong everytime he says something :lol:

LOL. Fair enough.

As for the throw, I think there were a few different moments when a throw to Bess would have been a touchdown. Yes, there was a man in Henne's face, but finding open lanes to throw through is fundamentally a quarterback's responsibility, so if he's not doing that it's on him. The key to the read and the play, in my view, is that the one corner was basically responsible for both Hartline and Bess in that coverage. For Chad, then, the read is that if the corner is smothering Bess, then you throw to an open Hartline behind them. If the corner hangs back, then Bess is open. Given that coverage, there's really no excuse for not hitting one of those guys for a touchdown. It was a good audible for Henne to be in that play because on that side of the field he got a favorable coverage but if I'm remembering the play correctly he looked to the middle of the field first and might have thought the Bucs were going to be in a different coverage there.

Now, the way the corner played it was kind of in the middle, which in my view sort of left both guys open, though it didn't leave one obviously open and the other completely covered (poor technique by that corner there, imo). It requires a quicker decision and more of a stick throw (to Bess, anyway. A throw there to Hartline would require more touch, not unlike the TD to Hartline against the Patriots in '09, which was a very similar route progression). But in my view, it's not a very challenging read or throw for an NFL quarterback.

This article was total garbage, kind of like the right side of our O line.

2 things, well actually 3. This is just funny. did you spring wood when you found something to take away from his performance and get excited how fast you could post it? Ok, now for what most people know with just common sense. It is easy to pick a frame where someone looks open. There are 3 defenders there, and a guy with his hand up that will block it (open your freaking eyes)! The second is he has made the decision to run. He is near the goal line so the defense is going to collapse. When this happens, in a single frame picture it will look like he should be able to hit an open guy. This is 1/100th of a second.

Please stop this non sense....PLEASE!!!!!! There were 3 people in his zone he wanted to throw, one guy in his face, so he decides to run! I guess maybe some are hoping he tries to throw into triple coverage, or gets the ball batted in the air an picked so they can resume the bashing. It is driving you nuts he is playing well isn't it?

This play could have been made to both WRs. A real good QB on his game probably scores 5 out of 10 times on this play. He could have anticipated both routes a little better and made throws that only could be caught by the WR. But as most on this thread have stated it was 1 play and those plays happen.

I think this was a little bit of old Henne creapin in. His entire career he has been coached to protect the ball with his life in the red zone. I expect him to get a little looser and trust a safe throw in these spots instead of eating it.

PS. I did see the play on TV and thought at the time he could have had a TD pass here.

that's really mostly what you need to know. you can nitpick any QB including last week's version of Brady.. but the bottom line is if your guy throws up anything even 30QBR pts south of that rating, you're gonna win at least 7 out of 10 times. Keep it up #7

This play could have been made to both WRs. A real good QB on his game probably scores 5 out of 10 times on this play. He could have anticipated both routes a little better and made throws that only could be caught by the WR. But as most on this thread have stated it was 1 play and those plays happen.

I think this was a little bit of old Henne creapin in. His entire career he has been coached to protect the ball with his life in the red zone. I expect him to get a little looser and trust a safe throw in these spots instead of eating it.

PS. I did see the play on TV and thought at the time he could have had a TD pass here.
So I guess the 6 foot 4 guy with his hand up has no bearing?

So I guess the 6 foot 4 guy with his hand up has no bearing?

Like I said I watched the game and reviewed the play several times and thought that there were points where he could have made a "safe throw" at least. Giving Hartline or Bess a shot at making a good play.

This is coming from a homer and a Henne Homer to boot. Just my opinion.

If Brandon Marshall doesn't fumble, and JT doesn't get called for the penalty during the safety, I think we win.
If we can run the ball 3 yards into the end zone on 2 plays instead of the field goal.
We left some points out there on the field.
Henne played great, the reason we lost had nothing to do with him.

LOL. Fair enough.

As for the throw, I think there were a few different moments when a throw to Bess would have been a touchdown. Yes, there was a man in Henne's face, but finding open lanes to throw through is fundamentally a quarterback's responsibility, so if he's not doing that it's on him. The key to the read and the play, in my view, is that the one corner was basically responsible for both Hartline and Bess in that coverage. For Chad, then, the read is that if the corner is smothering Bess, then you throw to an open Hartline behind them. If the corner hangs back, then Bess is open. Given that coverage, there's really no excuse for not hitting one of those guys for a touchdown. It was a good audible for Henne to be in that play because on that side of the field he got a favorable coverage but if I'm remembering the play correctly he looked to the middle of the field first and might have thought the Bucs were going to be in a different coverage there.

Now, the way the corner played it was kind of in the middle, which in my view sort of left both guys open, though it didn't leave one obviously open and the other completely covered (poor technique by that corner there, imo). It requires a quicker decision and more of a stick throw (to Bess, anyway. A throw there to Hartline would require more touch, not unlike the TD to Hartline against the Patriots in '09, which was a very similar route progression). But in my view, it's not a very challenging read or throw for an NFL quarterback.
So is not throwing a pass when there isn't a said lane to throw in, especially in the Redzone. He got bashed last year for too many batted passes. The guy can't win with some people. Also a few different moments??? Did that play take a few minutes to run? There is no moments. There is look, there are 3 people in that zone and a guy in my face...make a decision...not hmmm if I wait a few seconds the guy might drop his arm and the zone may clear, that would be sweet!

Armando is an idiot if he doesn't think that every second of film isn't being scrutinized on everyone.

The first still... Incognito #68 is blocking his guy, the defender has his hands up in the passing lane. He could've made the pass, but with a defender there I can understand why he didn't. Plus there are 2 defenders in the endzone just waiting for the pass. even the worst player on an NFL team isn't a chump... one of them would've made a break on the ball. easy for Armando to say when he isn't getting paid to make stupid mistakes.

In the second still, there is no-one between him and the goal line. Bess has a CB just waiting for the pass and he's virtually stationary. No receiver standing still does his QB a favor. Hartline is running right behind the CB covering Bess who likely would've adjusted to the pass, and there is still safety help and a LB lurking.

Now I make these points only to illustrate that these guys weren't WIDE open, then again no-one is in the NFL. It would've had to been a perfect laser beam pass. One that earned Farve the title of INT King throughout his career.

You win some, you loose some. Give the defense SOME credit.

Back
Top Bottom