Great WR's do not win Super Bowls | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Great WR's do not win Super Bowls

It's really hard - almost impossible - to compete without them.
Additionally, I would like to point out, among the remaining four teams, over half of the offensive linemen were drafted on day 3 or undrafted. There are a total of 2 first round OL.

We currently have 2 first rounders on our team now, and people want us to spend yet another first rounder on another one.

Unfortunately great WR usually are not ones taken in the top 5 picks nor the top 10.

Better value later it seems at that position.

The way I see it you need an above average playmaking Qb, at least some receivers who can make big catches in big spots, above average TE and rb (prob 2), and a very good Defense, probably better than not. There is no complete recipe but what I wrote is what I see in the teams still in it
The 4 teams left dont have "above average" QBs...they have great QBs.

You need a great QB and an opportunistic defense.

If there is a great QB on the market, do everything you can to get him.

T. Hill, T. Kelce (he counts), S. Watkins, S. Diggs, C. Beasley, J. Brown, M. Evans, C. Godwin, A. Brown, D. Adams, A. Lazard.

An elite WR is going to win the SB this year - just like last year 🤷‍♂️
And only 1 or 2 of those guys were first rounders!

In this NFL, QBs win Super Bowls. Yes there are outliers that happen once in a while, but it’s all about the QB.

To me Brady proved that. While BB is a great coach, Brady showed QBs matter more. It all starts there. If you don’t have THE guy then you are just wasting time with the rest of your team.
4 out of the top 5 PFF QBs will be playing in the conference championships.

The 5th will be available for trade...

I don't understand this line of thinking. If there was a re-draft knowing what we know now about them, how many of them AREN'T going in the first round?

Guys slip because there are more questions about them than those in the first round. It doesn't mean they don't have a chance to be All-Pro, but all of the questions about projections have to work themselves out. All drafting in the first round does is give you your best shot at the safest chance of getting a great player. It's still not 100%, but guys in the 5th round don't have a 0% chance either.

Wide receivers have always been a premium position so there should be no worries about using your best currency to get one. We're not talking punter here.

You're right. I think you'd see a higher hit rate on 1st RD WR's if bad teams 1) didn't draft them 2) didn't draft them to help a bad QB look better 3) looked for the right qualities.

Hollywood Brown and Henry Ruggs III were the 1st WR's drafted in the last two classes, and both were outside of my Top 5 - and closer to 10th than 5th.

I never got this kind of argument, where player/position X never won a SB so Y... The SB is one game out of ~300 games a season, why would we limit ourselves to analysing this one single game to make any kind of statement? There's alot of luck involved in football, if Mahome cant play next week and KC loses, does it change the fact that KC was a team strong enough to win the SB?, does it change the value of Hill and Kelce for that team? No it just means they got unlucky.

The 4 teams left dont have "above average" QBs...they have great QBs.

You need a great QB and an opportunistic defense.

If there is a great QB on the market, do everything you can to get him.
I'm not disagreeing with you there at all. It's semantics regarding above average vs Hall of Fame quality but I stick to what I say that if you have an above avg QB, receivers who don't drop the big important catches, nice rb and a d that makes big plays you can win in this league. Josh Allen ain't quite great yet and Brees certainly is a sure lock HOFer and one is sitting home next weekend

I think what they mean to say is great/elite players sometimes go to teams that aren't good enough to compete with elite teams and sometimes don't get to experience team success like Super Bowls or even play off wins. See Marino Dan and Sanders Barry.
I'm with you but to have anyone somehow tie getting a top tier WR to meaning we won't get good is crazy. It;s an apophenic comment that has really no basis other than luck.

Back
Top Bottom