Greatest QB "Let the facts speak for Themselves" | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greatest QB "Let the facts speak for Themselves"

yankeehillbilly said:
Injury is part of the game. Durability is one of the factors that go into determining "greatness" just like arm strength, accuracy, running ability, or deciphering defenses.

I personally think Dan was the best, but Im a Miami fan. I can see the argument from Broncos or 9ers fans.

I think we can agree they were both durable qbs. It's not like Marino was missing four or five games every season like say Fiedler or Pennington. An injury like that doesn't mean he wasn't tough.

muscle979 said:
I think we can agree they were both durable qbs. It's not like Marino was missing four or five games every season like say Fiedler or Pennington. An injury like that doesn't mean he wasn't tough.

That makes me think, Pennington and Fiedler are now the Jets number one and two. I hope they have a good third stringer lined up, as injury prone as the first two are.

ch19079 said:
same old argument. stats vs. SB victories.

i said it befor and ill say it again.

the point of the game is to win the SB. so you can not be the greatest QB ever, and not win a SB. you can be in the top 3, but the #1 guy has to have a ring.
you couldn't be more incorrect....the supporting cast HAS to play a role...

FinsFan74 said:
you couldn't be more incorrect....the supporting cast HAS to play a role...

keep reading, i got a few more posts, already responding to this same answer.

ch19079 said:
same old argument. stats vs. SB victories.

i said it befor and ill say it again.

the point of the game is to win the SB. so you can not be the greatest QB ever, and not win a SB. you can be in the top 3, but the #1 guy has to have a ring.

BS. You can be the best at your position and NOT have a ring. Barry Sanders is a prime example of that at the RB position and Marino at QB.

I have said it before and I will say it again. A SB ring does not make you great. Benchwarmers on a SB team get rings but that certainly doesn't make them HOFers. Marino did what a great QB should be able to do......he carried his team for his entire career. With no running game........only flashes of what seemed like a good defense as well as draft after draft of annual disappointments, Marino remained the rock that coaches, players and fans could count on to give them firm footing during the season. Other teams knew what Miami's gameplan was (pass, pass and pass some more) yet few could stop it even then.

If you still wish to claim that Marino isn't the greatest, look at those you would put ahead of him and look at the talent that surrounded them. NONE of those QBs could have come into Miami and succeeded in grasping a ring. NONE of them could have carried this team with the lack of talent it possessed for all of those years. Like it or not, Marino was the best ever.....he simply wasn't fortunate enough to have a personel guy that could give him the tools he needed to reach that final step.

My argument for Marino as number 1 centers on the following well established facts:

1) Marino never had a running game. Elway and Montana both had serious running attacks during the successful years of their careers. Marino didn't get to enjoy the way defenses would have to stop the running attack. There never was one for the Dolphins.
2) Marino never had a dominating WR. Montana threw to the greatest WR of all time. The guy on the other side of the field from Rice was a pro bowler and a helluva player himself. Marino's receivers during his best production were both 5 feet 8 inches and 185 pounds. Look at how many receivers Marino threw to in his career. It's a freakin' phone book.
3) The Dolphins never had a Defense during Marino's career. Both the Broncos and SF did.

The above points means that the only weapon the Dolphins had (since they couldn't run and couldn't stop the opposition with a defense) was for Marino to throw. The opposition knew they could key totally on Marino and the STILL couldn't stop him. Elway and Montana both enjoyed a significant amount of support in this team game than Marino ever enjoyed.

Lungoystr said:
BS. You can be the best at your position and NOT have a ring. Barry Sanders is a prime example of that at the RB position and Marino at QB.

I have said it before and I will say it again. A SB ring does not make you great. Benchwarmers on a SB team get rings but that certainly doesn't make them HOFers. Marino did what a great QB should be able to do......he carried his team for his entire career. With no running game........only flashes of what seemed like a good defense as well as draft after draft of annual disappointments, Marino remained the rock that coaches, players and fans could count on to give them firm footing during the season. Other teams knew what Miami's gameplan was (pass, pass and pass some more) yet few could stop it even then.

If you still wish to claim that Marino isn't the greatest, look at those you would put ahead of him and look at the talent that surrounded them. NONE of those QBs could have come into Miami and succeeded in grasping a ring. NONE of them could have carried this team with the lack of talent it possessed for all of those years. Like it or not, Marino was the best ever.....he simply wasn't fortunate enough to have a personel guy that could give him the tools he needed to reach that final step.

keep reading the other pages of this topic, i have already explained why i think the QB position is deffrent than the RB position, when talking about requierments to be consitered the "greatest ever".

jguig said:
My argument for Marino as number 1 centers on the following well established facts:

1) Marino never had a running game. Elway and Montana both had serious running attacks during the successful years of their careers. Marino didn't get to enjoy the way defenses would have to stop the running attack. There never was one for the Dolphins.
2) Marino never had a dominating WR. Montana threw to the greatest WR of all time. The guy on the other side of the field from Rice was a pro bowler and a helluva player himself. Marino's receivers during his best production were both 5 feet 8 inches and 185 pounds. Look at how many receivers Marino threw to in his career. It's a freakin' phone book.
3) The Dolphins never had a Defense during Marino's career. Both the Broncos and SF did.

The above points means that the only weapon the Dolphins had (since they couldn't run and couldn't stop the opposition with a defense) was for Marino to throw. The opposition knew they could key totally on Marino and the STILL couldn't stop him. Elway and Montana both enjoyed a significant amount of support in this team game than Marino ever enjoyed.

Preach on Mofo preach on, although Marino had Duper and Clayton but they were never dominating WR's so I know what you mean. Marino also had a better D in the last 3 or 4 years of his career.

I haven't seen any Pats or Jets fan post yet hmmmmmmmmmm.....

PatsSuck456 said:
I haven't seen any Pats or Jets fan post yet hmmmmmmmmmm.....

as long as we can keep those guys out of here im happy. cus man, i hate those fans. all they do is argue with biased opinions..

:foundout:

ch19079 said:
sad but true.

take the pats for example. say in there SB victories, insted of winning the SB (by 3 points each time), he missed the kicks and they lost the the game.

would they even have brady's name in the conversation of best QB ever?

IMO, the 1990's bills, would be thaught of A LOT diffrently if he makes that FG.

It doesn't matter if "they" mention his name or not, if Adam Vinatieri was an awful kicker how does that make Tom Brady any less of a Quarterback? That makes no sense what-so-ever. Jim Kelly was a great QB in his own right, and my opinion of him doesn't change because Scott Norwood missed :roflmao: excuse me... the game winning kick in the Super :lol: sorry about that... Bowl game!!!

Well, back again. I must say I am laughing at these posts.

Let's give it up for the point that not 1 of the other Qbs could have carried the Fins as Marino did. Duper and clayton left for greener pastures in there walets, and NEVER EVER caught 1000yds in aseason again! Oh Marino still threw for 4000=yds. Common denominator, Fins jersey and the #13 throwing the pigskin.
Vinateri(?) is the sole reason(other than a blown tuck call) that the Pats have any rings. Brady did absolutely nothing amazing to carry his team to those victories. At least no big plays I remember! Just solid play to win by 3 pts. Put the patsies up against the Boys in a SB and there is no game winning FG! The Boys avg like 17 point victories. That does not make Aikman the greatest, but I will say as much as I hate the Cowboys, they are arguably the best team ever! Why? Every position was almost probowlers. The OL blew holes open that Kijana Carter could have led the league in rushing. Aikman had all the time in the world, and a killer TE/WR core and FB that was a weapon. Then ther is their Def. Nuff Said! I hate them w/a passion along w/the Vikes!

Now look at the carear achievements year by year. If Elway is even close, then Terell Davis is a sure fire first ballot hall of famer. Why? He carried that team to a SB, not Elway. Elway could not muster even 1 first down until TD was back from the migrane. The best ever functions when 1 weapon is M.I.A.

Montana/Young/Aikman/Bradshaw,Kelly, were all surrounded by an All-Madden team!
So what did Montana do in KC?

Dan never really had an all star cast. Duper/Clayton. Good not great. Compare them to: Rice/Taylor/Clark Easy ED/Rod Smith/Sharpe/TD

If winning is the #1 requirement for being the greatest ever than IMHO "hollywood handsome" Tommy Brady is the best ever. Brady has never worked with half the offense Montana had to work with and he still has 3 rings in 4 seasons. Remember Montana played with a guy that if we started a thread asking who is the best WR of all time there wouldn't be much argument. No other QB in NFL history has had that luxury. If winning is it, and I don't agree that it is, Brady is better than Montana.

And of course nobody is better than Charles Haley. He has 5 rings.

PS - If anyone argues that Brady has a great defense your just solidifying the argument of all of the Dolphins fans who think Marino is the best ever. It's a team sport and it takes a team effort to win.

Back
Top Bottom