Have the Dolphin once again traded back and missed getting a special player? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Have the Dolphin once again traded back and missed getting a special player?

subject is a tad worn but so is pretty much everything else on the board at this point...

The net net bottom line result of the trade down from 3 to 6 is well documented.

All we're waiting for now is "the pick is in."

And there's at least a 50/50 chance a whole lot of folks around here will be mighty pissed

before that pick ------------ if indeed Pitts be gone. And I think he will be.

Last edited:
It's hard to say without seeing Miami's draft board.

I know a lot of fans, myself included, love Pitts. But maybe Grier and company rank him below the receivers. After all, Miami has a good tight end in Gesicki and maybe don't see how the two could fit. I know we've talked a lot about it on this board.

SF was obviously satisfied with three quarterbacks to move up to #3. I believe Miami had to lke numerous options at #6.

They didn't trade back out of 3 because they wanted Pitts. They traded back to 6 because they have several players they want.

Too many are stuck on Pitts. Who knows if he's even an interest to them. If he's there at 6 and they take Chase, Sewell or Smith some of you might not recover.

Here, here. And I like the kid myself but I’m not about to get emotionally invested.

This front office has a plan, and a backup plan. And a backup, backup plan.

That’s what I like to see, planning. Leads to success.

McShay's draft has Pitts going 4 and Chase 5, we pick Smith. Not an awful outcome but that 1st rounder in 2023 that SF gave us better be a great player if Pitts and/or Chase end up better pros than Smith, if McShay is right of course.

The one thing I still don't understand, whether you like the deal or not is why make it so early ? Even waiting a week the landscape has changed significantly. I am not convinced 2 likely low firsts and 1 comp 3rd rounder is great compensation for dropping from the position that started the draft in many respects. Especially when it cost us the bulk of that comp to move back up again to 6. We really should have waited this out a little.

But how many times can we also find examples where Miami didn't trade out of their 1st round pick, but could have moved back 5 or10 spots and still drafted a hall of fame player and had extra picks instead of the player who they drafted that didn't pan out. For example in 2006 Miami could have skipped on drafting Jason Allen at 16 and traded back three spots and drafted Antonio Cromartie and got a 2nd or 3rd round pick in the trade to boot. Or 2005 when Miami drafted Ronnie Brown with the 2nd overall pick, could have traded back to 20 and got multiple high picks and drafted Aaron Rodgers. My point is in retrospect you can always find examples to show teams should or shouldn't make a move.

Last edited:
Ya know what we would be seeing if we stayed at 3 and took Pitts? "A TE at 3, what is wrong with them! Grier sucks, he over drafted again! Why the **ll do the Phins always over draft?" Blah blah blah... We'll be fine, we should get the guy, or one of a couple, they were targeting at 6.

Last edited:
Ya know what we would be seeing if we stayed at 4 and took Pitts? "A TE at 4, what is wrong with them! Grier sucks, he over drafted again! Why the **ll do the Phins always over draft?" Blah blah blah... We'll be fine, we should get the guy, or one of a couple, they were targeting at 6.

We were at 3

This year is starting to look like a repeat with this organization that started with JJ....trade back for extra picks, miss out on a special player!

1998...JJ trades out of his first round pick at 19 for the 29th pick. 2 hall of famers are drafted between 19-29 that the draft genius Jimmy didn’t perceive....Randy Moss (an all time great wideout) and Alan Faneca.

He also receives pick 60 in the trade, but he trades down again for 3 later picks.

The net result...we lose hall of famer Randy Moss...we picked up John Avery, Brad Jackson, Scott Shaw and John Dutton. In other words, for 1st and 2nd round pick...we got 4 nothing’s.....zip!

We repeated the mistake in 2010....Trading out of Earl Thomas for Jared Odrick and Koa
Misi.

Trading down is not a good thing if your missing out on hall of fame talent.

Chris Greer was in a hurry to trade out of pick #3....and the net of trading down to #6 is we may lose out on 1 or 2 special players...Kyle Pitts looks like a truly rare and special talent that was ours at 3....at 6? It’s looking worse everyday!

And for what? A 2023 first round pick two years from now?

If we miss out on Kyle Pitts and he becomes a gold jacket wearing all time great(as I think he will)...this was yet another massive trade down disaster by this organization...I’m praying he gets to 6.
Not sure if you're aware that JJ has said many times that if he hadn't traded down that year he'd have taken Vonnie Holladay and not Randy Moss. I was upset when he traded down so early but it had nothing to do with who was going to be there at 19.

There are easily fifteen really very good players in this draft and three dozen future starters. Picking the sixth best player in this draft is a luxury thanks to the Houston trade, we should be picking once in the first round in our proper spot, which is eighteen. And I expect a pretty good future starter there too. It's a very good class this year.

This year is starting to look like a repeat with this organization that started with JJ....trade back for extra picks, miss out on a special player!

1998...JJ trades out of his first round pick at 19 for the 29th pick. 2 hall of famers are drafted between 19-29 that the draft genius Jimmy didn’t perceive....Randy Moss (an all time great wideout) and Alan Faneca.

He also receives pick 60 in the trade, but he trades down again for 3 later picks.

The net result...we lose hall of famer Randy Moss...we picked up John Avery, Brad Jackson, Scott Shaw and John Dutton. In other words, for 1st and 2nd round pick...we got 4 nothing’s.....zip!

We repeated the mistake in 2010....Trading out of Earl Thomas for Jared Odrick and Koa
Misi.

Trading down is not a good thing if your missing out on hall of fame talent.

Chris Greer was in a hurry to trade out of pick #3....and the net of trading down to #6 is we may lose out on 1 or 2 special players...Kyle Pitts looks like a truly rare and special talent that was ours at 3....at 6? It’s looking worse everyday!

And for what? A 2023 first round pick two years from now?

If we miss out on Kyle Pitts and he becomes a gold jacket wearing all time great(as I think he will)...this was yet another massive trade down disaster by this organization...I’m praying he gets to 6.

To be fair, this needs a baseline. How many teams since jj have traded down and missed out on a "special player." Clearly not just Miami. Don't get me wrong. Even I didn't understand some of them, but bad teams do bad things

As far as I can assess the following players are considered "special" based on what the talking heads are saying: Kyle Pitts and Sewell. As far as those 2 go, there's a high probability one of them will be available for us. Now let's assume Atlanta takes Pitts and Bengals pick Sewell, in that case then we have Chase and Smith to choose from and either one should be the playmaker we have been looking for. For me it's not Pitts or bust, I feel that any one of Pitts, Chase, Smith, Sewell and even Waddle can help this team significantly. Being at 6 is very good as most analysts are predicting first 4 teams to go QB, that leaves us with 4 of the 5 names I listed to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom