Have the Dolphin once again traded back and missed getting a special player? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Have the Dolphin once again traded back and missed getting a special player?

Now name all the supposed generational talents that have busted? People love to point to the 1% outliers while ignoring the other 99%
the draft is a crap shoot, always has been and always will be. you can however, hedge your bet by taking a guy (at position of need and the utmost importance) when he checks all the boxes (pitts/chase). We haven't had a player of that caliber on our offense since Ricky Williams. sure they can be busts but I would like to swing for the homerun for once.

So if we are at 6 and Pitts is there and Grier drafts Smith then they didn't have him rated like some here.

If he's so great why are the Falcons now offering up 4 or should the Jags take him #1?

Too many are crowning him before he's played one NFL down.

I would love Pitts but certainly not clinging to just him.
if that happens than i guess we had smith higher on our board. this whole thing would be much easier to stomach if the front office had earned our trust. just saying.

McShay's draft has Pitts going 4 and Chase 5, we pick Smith. Not an awful outcome but that 1st rounder in 2023 that SF gave us better be a great player if Pitts and/or Chase end up better pros than Smith, if McShay is right of course.

The one thing I still don't understand, whether you like the deal or not is why make it so early ? Even waiting a week the landscape has changed significantly. I am not convinced 2 likely low firsts and 1 comp 3rd rounder is great compensation for dropping from the position that started the draft in many respects. Especially when it cost us the bulk of that comp to move back up again to 6. We really should have waited this out a little.

I would assume the 49ers were calling Miami and Atlanta, knowing Miami wasn't going to draft a QB. They weren't completely without leverage.

It will be impossible to judge any of this for a long time to come. Who would have figured Houston would go 4-12 with that roster they had and end up with the third worst record in the league? If their season had gone the way a lot of prognosticators thought it would we would still be debating Tunsil's worth on these boards. San Fran could trade Jimmy, start a rookie bust at QB, and blow the season.

I think trading down for future assets is generally a smart was to do business in the NFL, in particular when you're gifted something like this Houston pick. Both in that there are more opportunities to build the foundation of this team for years to come and in that it provided Grier with additional assets to use to acquire a higher pick or talented vet that finds himself on the market.

No No No GIF

But how many times can we also find examples where Miami didn't trade out of their 1st round pick, but could have moved back 5 or10 spots and still drafted a hall of fame player and had extra picks instead of the player who they drafted that didn't pan out. For example in 2006 Miami could have skipped on drafting Jason Allen at 16 and traded back three spots and drafted Antonio Cromartie and got a 2nd or 3rd round pick in the trade to boot. Or 2005 when Miami drafted Ronnie Brown with the 2nd overall pick, could have traded back to 20 and got multiple high picks and drafted Aaron Rodgers. My point is in retrospect you can always find examples to show teams should or shouldn't make a move.
Excellent response should not go overlooked

Most Dolphins fan all the way up to the recent trades: “Grier needs to trade down and pick up assets instead of drafting a receiver at 3”

Many of those same Dolphins fans after the recent trades: “Grier traded out and is going to miss out on a special receiver”

Unreal.

Trade up and get Jordan... bzzzz!
Trade down and miss Moss.... bzzz!

Hmm... sounds like the principles of small sample sizes.

Most Dolphins fan all the way up to the recent trades: “Grier needs to trade down and pick up assets instead of drafting a receiver at 3”

Many of those same Dolphins fans after the recent trades: “Grier traded out and is going to miss out on a special receiver”

Unbelievable.
It's unreal here sometimes.

No one wanted a WR or TE at #3 now we are fools for trading out and back to 6.

can we actually hold the draft before declarings busts at this juncture

This year is starting to look like a repeat with this organization that started with JJ....trade back for extra picks, miss out on a special player!

1998...JJ trades out of his first round pick at 19 for the 29th pick. 2 hall of famers are drafted between 19-29 that the draft genius Jimmy didn’t perceive....Randy Moss (an all time great wideout) and Alan Faneca.

He also receives pick 60 in the trade, but he trades down again for 3 later picks.

The net result...we lose hall of famer Randy Moss...we picked up John Avery, Brad Jackson, Scott Shaw and John Dutton. In other words, for 1st and 2nd round pick...we got 4 nothing’s.....zip!

We repeated the mistake in 2010....Trading out of Earl Thomas for Jared Odrick and Koa
Misi.

Trading down is not a good thing if your missing out on hall of fame talent.

Chris Greer was in a hurry to trade out of pick #3....and the net of trading down to #6 is we may lose out on 1 or 2 special players...Kyle Pitts looks like a truly rare and special talent that was ours at 3....at 6? It’s looking worse everyday!

And for what? A 2023 first round pick two years from now?

If we miss out on Kyle Pitts and he becomes a gold jacket wearing all time great(as I think he will)...this was yet another massive trade down disaster by this organization...I’m praying he gets to 6.

...but here's the thing: Miami picked up and extra first in 2023 and third this year...and they STILL have pick #6...far higher than they had in either of those drafts.

And let's look at those drafts - viewing the 3 pick and the 6 pick.

In 1998...here were the top six picks:

1) Peyton
2) Ryan Leaf
3) Andre Wadsworth
4) Charles Woodson
5) Curtis Enis
6) Grant Wistrom

One Hall of Famer between 3 and 6, but Miami had Terrell Buckley and Sam Madison, each of whom had 8 picks in 1997, so they sure as heck wouldn't have drafted Woodson. Wistrom is pretty clearly the second best player from 3 to 6. Also...the last player drafted in Round Three that year...was Hines Ward.

Two years later - an additional first outside the top five could have netted Miami Shaun Ellis, John Abraham, Shaun Alexander, Julian Peterson, or Brian Urlacher.

In 2010...here were the top 6 picks:

1) Sam Bradford
2) Suh
3) Gerald McCoy
4) Trent Williams
5) Eric Berry
6) Russell Okung

Four of those six are still in the league. It would be difficult to argue that Pick #6 is a bust here. Are any of the others in that group future Hall of Famers? Possibly. They'll certainly make ballots...but so will Okung. Also...from picks 95 through 100 of that draft? Both Jimmy Graham and Everson Griffen were selected.

Two years later, a pick outside the top five in the first round could have netted Miami Stephon Gilmore, Dontari Poe, Fletcher Cox, Bruce Irvin, Melvin Ingram, or Chandler Jones.

Moving from 3 to 6 didn't necessarily cost Miami a Hall of Famer, no matter how much Pitts gets built up. None of us know for sure how these players will turn out.

It's what Miami does with the picks that matters.

We could move up to #2 and take the best possible DE. Oh, we did that already. (Or was it 3..yeesh I've blocked it out of my mind after time has passed)

You just never know. I think 6 will get us one of the players we want.
The point is will we miss out on a truly great player for something much less?

We’ve found good receivers later in the draft in the past...Jarvis Landry in round 2....Mark Clayton in Round 8.....etc etc etc

Your not going to find a Kyle Pitts that way.....

...but here's the thing: Miami picked up and extra first in 2023 and third this year...and they STILL have pick #6...far higher than they had in either of those drafts.

And let's look at those drafts - viewing the 3 pick and the 6 pick.

In 1998...here were the top six picks:

1) Peyton
2) Ryan Leaf
3) Andre Wadsworth
4) Charles Woodson
5) Curtis Enis
6) Grant Wistrom

One Hall of Famer between 3 and 6, but Miami had Terrell Buckley and Sam Madison, each of whom had 8 picks in 1997, so they sure as heck wouldn't have drafted Woodson. Wistrom is pretty clearly the second best player from 3 to 6. Also...the last player drafted in Round Three that year...was Hines Ward.

Two years later - an additional first outside the top five could have netted Miami Shaun Ellis, John Abraham, Shaun Alexander, Julian Peterson, or Brian Urlacher.

In 2010...here were the top 6 picks:

1) Sam Bradford
2) Suh
3) Gerald McCoy
4) Trent Williams
5) Eric Berry
6) Russell Okung

Four of those six are still in the league. It would be difficult to argue that Pick #6 is a bust here. Are any of the others in that group future Hall of Famers? Possibly. They'll certainly make ballots...but so will Okung. Also...from picks 95 through 100 of that draft? Both Jimmy Graham and Everson Griffen were selected.

Two years later, a pick outside the top five in the first round could have netted Miami Stephon Gilmore, Dontari Poe, Fletcher Cox, Bruce Irvin, Melvin Ingram, or Chandler Jones.

Moving from 3 to 6 didn't necessarily cost Miami a Hall of Famer, no matter how much Pitts gets built up. None of us know for sure how these players will turn out.

It's what Miami does with the picks that matters.
Yes...and passing on clearly superior and rare talents like a Randy Moss was a mistake...if we miss out on Pitts...we did it again....

6 will get us sewell, chase, or Pitts. If we have to have. WR we will have at least smith or waddle. We r fine
If Pitts is Megatron part two...getting a good left tackle or wideout doesn’t equal that.....

Yes I’m sure we’ll get a good player....but not a once in 10-15 year player like Pitts.

Back
Top Bottom