Have the Dolphin once again traded back and missed getting a special player? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Have the Dolphin once again traded back and missed getting a special player?

The point is will we miss out on a truly great player for something much less?

We’ve found good receivers later in the draft in the past...Jarvis Landry in round 2....Mark Clayton in Round 8.....etc etc etc

Your not going to find a Kyle Pitts that way.....

Dude, c'mon.

Tony Gonzalez - 1st round - pick 13
Jason Witten - 3rd round
Antonio Gates - Undrafted Free Agent
Shannon Sharpe - 7th round
Greg Olsen - 1st round, pick 31
Gronk - 2nd round
Jimmy Graham - 3rd round
Ozzie Newsome - 1st round, pick 23
Jackie Smith - 10th round
Travis Kelce - 3rd round

Those are your top ten receiving tight ends in the history of the NFL. Three of them drafted in the first. Highest picked was #13.

Meanwhile, here are the ten most recently drafted TEs who were selected top 10:

- TJ Hockenson
- Eric Ebron
- Vernon Davis
- Kellen Winslow, Jr
- Rickey Dudley
- Kyle Brady
- Junior Miller
- Ken Macafee (drafted 16 spots ahead of Ozzie Newsome!)
- JV Cain
- Charle Young

I get that Pitts is a different kind of dude. But nobody is going to convince me that 1) Kyle Pitts is 100% a sure thing, or 2) you're guaranteed to miss out on the best TE in the draft by trading from 3 to 6, or even 3) Kyle Pitts, 10 years down the road, will absolutely be viewed as the best TE from this draft.

This year is starting to look like a repeat with this organization that started with JJ....trade back for extra picks, miss out on a special player!

1998...JJ trades out of his first round pick at 19 for the 29th pick. 2 hall of famers are drafted between 19-29 that the draft genius Jimmy didn’t perceive....Randy Moss (an all time great wideout) and Alan Faneca.

He also receives pick 60 in the trade, but he trades down again for 3 later picks.

The net result...we lose hall of famer Randy Moss...we picked up John Avery, Brad Jackson, Scott Shaw and John Dutton. In other words, for 1st and 2nd round pick...we got 4 nothing’s.....zip!

We repeated the mistake in 2010....Trading out of Earl Thomas for Jared Odrick and Koa
Misi.

Trading down is not a good thing if your missing out on hall of fame talent.

Chris Greer was in a hurry to trade out of pick #3....and the net of trading down to #6 is we may lose out on 1 or 2 special players...Kyle Pitts looks like a truly rare and special talent that was ours at 3....at 6? It’s looking worse everyday!

And for what? A 2023 first round pick two years from now?

If we miss out on Kyle Pitts and he becomes a gold jacket wearing all time great(as I think he will)...this was yet another massive trade down disaster by this organization...I’m praying he gets to 6.
You know at some point you have to actually use those picks on good players especially when your’re drafting high. I kind of agree with you. We had enough draft picks going in on this although what SF offered was significant.

IF we get Jamar Chase I’ll be okay with it, if we miss out on Chase and Pitts I think I’ll be kind of bummed.

That was the biggest WTF moment ever.....didn't know who that was and I'm a SEC guy...Dear God ..Wanny was bad..
Eric Kumerow was my biggest WTF moment ever. I'm still not certain who he was and what position he could play.

If we miss out on Kyle Pitts and he becomes a gold jacket wearing all time great(as I think he will)...this was yet another massive trade down disaster by this organization...I’m praying he gets to 6.
Since we're playing the what if game...

it wouldn't really be that bad IMO if the guy standing next to him is a former fin sporting the same damn jacket except for the size difference of course

You need to watch his tape and come back and tell us what you see. Seriously so many times folks post this kind of nonsense without doing a little research themselves. BTW Pitts played in 7 and a half games this season, had 3 games as a FR in 2018 and 13 games as an SO in 2019, when he broke through around halfway through that year. So the fact that Kyle had more receiving yards and more TDs in his 24 games than Gesicki had in his 45 should be a big clue that we are not talking about the same caliber of player.
I don’t mean to say he’s a similar player to Gesicki. I shouldn’t have included production.
The measurables, however, are very close. So if Pitts measurables really aren’t rare, what makes him different? He obviously runs good routes and has good hands but that can’t be it. If he’s a unicorn, there has to be something else. Like I said, it was an honest question.

Pitts is very similar to Mike Gesicki athletically and in college production. Honest question: what makes him rare?
Not even close....have you watched Pitts?

Daniel Jerimiah has him at number 2 overall on his big board.

Shannon Sharpe said he’s going to be a megatron type great!

Gesicki? No...good player...not great.

Dude, c'mon.

Tony Gonzalez - 1st round - pick 13
Jason Witten - 3rd round
Antonio Gates - Undrafted Free Agent
Shannon Sharpe - 7th round
Greg Olsen - 1st round, pick 31
Gronk - 2nd round
Jimmy Graham - 3rd round
Ozzie Newsome - 1st round, pick 23
Jackie Smith - 10th round
Travis Kelce - 3rd round

Those are your top ten receiving tight ends in the history of the NFL. Three of them drafted in the first. Highest picked was #13.

Meanwhile, here are the ten most recently drafted TEs who were selected top 10:

- TJ Hockenson
- Eric Ebron
- Vernon Davis
- Kellen Winslow, Jr
- Rickey Dudley
- Kyle Brady
- Junior Miller
- Ken Macafee (drafted 16 spots ahead of Ozzie Newsome!)
- JV Cain
- Charle Young

I get that Pitts is a different kind of dude. But nobody is going to convince me that 1) Kyle Pitts is 100% a sure thing, or 2) you're guaranteed to miss out on the best TE in the draft by trading from 3 to 6, or even 3) Kyle Pitts, 10 years down the road, will absolutely be viewed as the best TE from this draft.
Wow that list of first round top 10 tight ends is eye opening. Haven’t heard of some of those guys

You're missing my point,

Randy Moss didn't go #6. He went #21. Miami has TWO picks before that.
Irrelevant....Moss only fell because of character questions...everyone was aware of his talent.

We had Pitts for sure at 3...if we lose him I’m quite sure we will all be regretting it for a long time.

This year is starting to look like a repeat with this organization that started with JJ....trade back for extra picks, miss out on a special player!

1998...JJ trades out of his first round pick at 19 for the 29th pick. 2 hall of famers are drafted between 19-29 that the draft genius Jimmy didn’t perceive....Randy Moss (an all time great wideout) and Alan Faneca.

He also receives pick 60 in the trade, but he trades down again for 3 later picks.

The net result...we lose hall of famer Randy Moss...we picked up John Avery, Brad Jackson, Scott Shaw and John Dutton. In other words, for 1st and 2nd round pick...we got 4 nothing’s.....zip!

We repeated the mistake in 2010....Trading out of Earl Thomas for Jared Odrick and Koa
Misi.

Trading down is not a good thing if your missing out on hall of fame talent.

Chris Greer was in a hurry to trade out of pick #3....and the net of trading down to #6 is we may lose out on 1 or 2 special players...Kyle Pitts looks like a truly rare and special talent that was ours at 3....at 6? It’s looking worse everyday!

And for what? A 2023 first round pick two years from now?

Bro you are going to lose your mind when Pitts is there and we draft DeVonte Smith instead.

If we lose out on the Heisman winner D. Smith that would be so Dolphin of us.

I kinda agree with you . People love collecting draft picks but if they turn into crap players then it was useless. . Many times so many trades are made people forget the details. For example we traded drake for a draft pick that we used to get matt bredia. I know drake turned down contract extension with us but that draft pick was useless because bredia didn’t work out. If Jackson doesn’t turn into a good tackle then the trade with Mikah will be bad. Draft picks are nice but you have to use them eventually. You better hit on them. We could miss out on pitts and chase.
Exactly the point!

My only gripe with the trade back was we got nothing this year. We should’ve a least gotten like a 3rd and swapped a 5th or something like that. Sucks we couldn’t get an extra second rounder.

Back
Top Bottom