Have the Dolphin once again traded back and missed getting a special player? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Have the Dolphin once again traded back and missed getting a special player?

6’6” 246 pounds runs like a wideout, moves his hips like a top wideout...largest wingspan in 20 years...great hands!
6’6” and 246 isn’t rare. His wing span is 1 inch wider than Gesicki. His vertical sure isn’t rare. Agree with good hands, not sure how rare they are. If you tell me his hips are rare, that could be something.

I understand OP’s frustration and upset.

I agree - The Dolphins front office outsmarted themselves here - they got too cute by 1/2.

that’s because many Dolphin fans and the front office are confused - trying to argue that smith chase waddle are in Piti’s galaxy.

BIG BIG mistake. Pitts is a very special player.

I don’t follow college football. Don’t care...

but not watching college football has one small advantage -!because people get confused about guys who look magical against talent that is not in the NFL players galaxy...

Guys like Smith are unlikely to be superstar - chase unlikely to be a superstar - a solid player but not a star... waddle maybe if he’s at the right place at the right time he will be great...

but Pitts has gifts that create so much...

I agree bad move to risk losing him!

This year is starting to look like a repeat with this organization that started with JJ....trade back for extra picks, miss out on a special player!

1998...JJ trades out of his first round pick at 19 for the 29th pick. 2 hall of famers are drafted between 19-29 that the draft genius Jimmy didn’t perceive....Randy Moss (an all time great wideout) and Alan Faneca.

He also receives pick 60 in the trade, but he trades down again for 3 later picks.

The net result...we lose hall of famer Randy Moss...we picked up John Avery, Brad Jackson, Scott Shaw and John Dutton. In other words, for 1st and 2nd round pick...we got 4 nothing’s.....zip!

We repeated the mistake in 2010....Trading out of Earl Thomas for Jared Odrick and Koa
Misi.

Trading down is not a good thing if your missing out on hall of fame talent.

Chris Greer was in a hurry to trade out of pick #3....and the net of trading down to #6 is we may lose out on 1 or 2 special players...Kyle Pitts looks like a truly rare and special talent that was ours at 3....at 6? It’s looking worse everyday!

And for what? A 2023 first round pick two years from now?

If we miss out on Kyle Pitts and he becomes a gold jacket wearing all time great(as I think he will)...this was yet another massive trade down disaster by this organization...I’m praying he gets to 6.
Why ask this question the first week of April and not after the season?

It’ws about the theory of trading back to collect more picks and losing rare talents....that is just as relevant today as 1998...or 2010....both years where Miami lost rare talents for little to nothing in return.

You’re choosing to pick these two examples to try to float this irrelevant theory out there.

In 2017 the Colts traded down from 3 to 6, drafted a future hall of fame OG and also managed to snag the defensive rookie of the year at the top of the second round.

Does that mean the Colts should do the same thing in 2029 and 2040?

1998 is irrelevant because the guy making the decisions managed to pull names like Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas out of the third and fifth round, so giving a guy like that more ammo made a lot of sense.

2010 was just a weak all around draft class so again having more picks made sense. It was a pathetic draft class. As if we’re not going to make a trade like the one with SF because because we missed out on Earl Thomas.

You’re choosing to pick these two examples to try to float this irrelevant theory out there.

In 2017 the Colts traded down from 3 to 6, drafted a future hall of fame OG and also managed to snag the defensive rookie of the year at the top of the second round.

Does that mean the Colts should do the same thing in 2029 and 2040?

1998 is irrelevant because the guy making the decisions managed to pull names like Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas out of the third and fifth round, so giving a guy like that more ammo made a lot of sense.

2010 was just a weak all around draft class so again having more picks made sense. It was a pathetic draft class. As if we’re not going to make a trade like the one with SF because because we missed out on Earl Thomas.
The point was trading down and bypassing higher talent often falls flat. Especially when you have a special talent...which I and many others including most of the football world see in Kyle Pitts.

By trading down we may have lost him!

Every single team misses on HoF players each year. Tom Brady was the 199th pick in 2000. 198 players were taken in front of a guy who has 7 SB rings. Looking at past drafts in hindsight is a fruitless waste of time.

Every single team misses on HoF players each year. Tom Brady was the 199th pick in 2000. 198 players were taken in front of a guy who has 7 SB rings. Looking at past drafts in hindsight is a fruitless waste of time.
What he said...

Everyone misses on picks and finger pointing just makes you look small.

The point is will we miss out on a truly great player for something much less?

We’ve found good receivers later in the draft in the past...Jarvis Landry in round 2....Mark Clayton in Round 8.....etc etc etc

Your not going to find a Kyle Pitts that way.....
That's bullshit Shannon Sharpe 7th round, Jason Witten 3rd round, Antonio Gates undrafted just to name a few off the top of my head. The draft is a crapshoot no matter how you cut it, homerism as well as unwarranted negativism is always thick this time of year.

I’ve been listening to Dolphin fans make excuses for this teams failure since Shula left...Pitts is special, if you don’t know this yet you will soon. You should hope he somehow gets to 6.

This year is starting to look like a repeat with this organization that started with JJ....trade back for extra picks, miss out on a special player!

1998...JJ trades out of his first round pick at 19 for the 29th pick. 2 hall of famers are drafted between 19-29 that the draft genius Jimmy didn’t perceive....Randy Moss (an all time great wideout) and Alan Faneca.

He also receives pick 60 in the trade, but he trades down again for 3 later picks.

The net result...we lose hall of famer Randy Moss...we picked up John Avery, Brad Jackson, Scott Shaw and John Dutton. In other words, for 1st and 2nd round pick...we got 4 nothing’s.....zip!

We repeated the mistake in 2010....Trading out of Earl Thomas for Jared Odrick and Koa
Misi.

Trading down is not a good thing if your missing out on hall of fame talent.

Chris Greer was in a hurry to trade out of pick #3....and the net of trading down to #6 is we may lose out on 1 or 2 special players...Kyle Pitts looks like a truly rare and special talent that was ours at 3....at 6? It’s looking worse everyday!

And for what? A 2023 first round pick two years from now?

If we miss out on Kyle Pitts and he becomes a gold jacket wearing all time great(as I think he will)...this was yet another massive trade down disaster by this organization...I’m praying he gets to 6.
I agree we missed out when trading back multiple times. We missed out on Earl Thomas by trading back and taking a DL. But we gained a pick, and then didn't pick the guy I was screaming to take--Rob Gronkowski--because we blew the pick on Koa Misi. So yeah, you make a great point, we've a history of trading back and missing out on greatness. We also failed to play Minkah Fitzpatrick as a FS like I was constantly saying we should do ... and we traded away an instant-All-Pro. We also passed on many good picks like Aaron Rodgers. So yeah ... our draft choices have been .... less than ideal. And yes, we've traded back and lost.

But if I were at #3 I'd hope we take the same guy that I hope is there at #6, and it's Ja'Marr Chase. We all saw how well Justin Jefferson played last year ... and Chase was clearly better than Jefferson in college, and honestly, projects better to the NFL than even Jefferson. If we want a gold-jacket guy, and I think we can all agree that we do, then that guy is most likely Ja'Marr Chase.

Pitts is a great prospect. I expect him to become the next Darren Waller. But I'm more confident that Chase will live up to his reputation. I can see him becoming the next Jerry Rice. And I do not want to miss out on that.

Back
Top Bottom