Have the Dolphin once again traded back and missed getting a special player? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Have the Dolphin once again traded back and missed getting a special player?

I agree we missed out when trading back multiple times. We missed out on Earl Thomas by trading back and taking a DL. But we gained a pick, and then didn't pick the guy I was screaming to take--Rob Gronkowski--because we blew the pick on Koa Misi. So yeah, you make a great point, we've a history of trading back and missing out on greatness. We also failed to play Minkah Fitzpatrick as a FS like I was constantly saying we should do ... and we traded away an instant-All-Pro. We also passed on many good picks like Aaron Rodgers. So yeah ... our draft choices have been .... less than ideal. And yes, we've traded back and lost.

But if I were at #3 I'd hope we take the same guy that I hope is there at #6, and it's Ja'Marr Chase. We all saw how well Justin Jefferson played last year ... and Chase was clearly better than Jefferson in college, and honestly, projects better to the NFL than even Jefferson. If we want a gold-jacket guy, and I think we can all agree that we do, then that guy is most likely Ja'Marr Chase.

Pitts is a great prospect. I expect him to become the next Darren Waller. But I'm more confident that Chase will live up to his reputation. I can see him becoming the next Jerry Rice. And I do not want to miss out on that.
Chase is the one I would be the least disappointed with if Pitts is gone....

Every single team misses on HoF players each year. Tom Brady was the 199th pick in 2000. 198 players were taken in front of a guy who has 7 SB rings. Looking at past drafts in hindsight is a fruitless waste of time.
The Miami Dolphins have been unsuccessful in the last 25 years for one reason only, we are terrible at evaluating players and coaches period. We really suck at drafting players. The last real superstar the Dolphins drafted was Dan Marino, almost 40 yrs ago. Marino was Miami, everyone had his jerseys everywhere. Other teams fans would wear Marino jerseys because he was the main event. You wanted to watch him play football.

I agree we missed out when trading back multiple times. We missed out on Earl Thomas by trading back and taking a DL. But we gained a pick, and then didn't pick the guy I was screaming to take--Rob Gronkowski--because we blew the pick on Koa Misi. So yeah, you make a great point, we've a history of trading back and missing out on greatness. We also failed to play Minkah Fitzpatrick as a FS like I was constantly saying we should do ... and we traded away an instant-All-Pro. We also passed on many good picks like Aaron Rodgers. So yeah ... our draft choices have been .... less than ideal. And yes, we've traded back and lost.

But if I were at #3 I'd hope we take the same guy that I hope is there at #6, and it's Ja'Marr Chase. We all saw how well Justin Jefferson played last year ... and Chase was clearly better than Jefferson in college, and honestly, projects better to the NFL than even Jefferson. If we want a gold-jacket guy, and I think we can all agree that we do, then that guy is most likely Ja'Marr Chase.

Pitts is a great prospect. I expect him to become the next Darren Waller. But I'm more confident that Chase will live up to his reputation. I can see him becoming the next Jerry Rice. And I do not want to miss out on that.
Great point about Gronkowski!

it’s great to get extra picks...but I think you should thoroughly evaluate these drafts before trading down....

I personally think they were counting on the perceptions of these players at trade time.

If Pitts and Chase are gone...I’m for a trade down!

Imo no matter who we pick of Pitts, Chase, Sewell or Devonte, at least Imo I do not know who will evolve into the best player, they all have their traits and are such different type of prospects that project at such a high level I can’t make that determination with any conviction..

You can justify how each can impact the franchise equally and how their skill set can help a team win games.

Dude, c'mon.

Tony Gonzalez - 1st round - pick 13
Jason Witten - 3rd round
Antonio Gates - Undrafted Free Agent
Shannon Sharpe - 7th round
Greg Olsen - 1st round, pick 31
Gronk - 2nd round
Jimmy Graham - 3rd round
Ozzie Newsome - 1st round, pick 23
Jackie Smith - 10th round
Travis Kelce - 3rd round

Those are your top ten receiving tight ends in the history of the NFL. Three of them drafted in the first. Highest picked was #13.

Meanwhile, here are the ten most recently drafted TEs who were selected top 10:

- TJ Hockenson
- Eric Ebron
- Vernon Davis
- Kellen Winslow, Jr
- Rickey Dudley
- Kyle Brady
- Junior Miller
- Ken Macafee (drafted 16 spots ahead of Ozzie Newsome!)
- JV Cain
- Charle Young

I get that Pitts is a different kind of dude. But nobody is going to convince me that 1) Kyle Pitts is 100% a sure thing, or 2) you're guaranteed to miss out on the best TE in the draft by trading from 3 to 6, or even 3) Kyle Pitts, 10 years down the road, will absolutely be viewed as the best TE from this draft.
I appreciate your post and opinion I just cannot conceptualize how you evaluate players like that in that type of context.

Every draft presents unique opportunities about players..

Try to explain, Just because in the past a great tight was found in the third round doesn’t mean I should pass on a tight end who presents such a high level skill set relative to his class.

If the talent is graded in the blue chip category and the character checks out then 9 out of ten times you take the player..The past does not affect in any way whatsoever the present.

I remember reading Jimmy's concern with Moss was the marijuana reports. Said he would not have drafted him anyway.
From the man who said he’d draft our trade for satan himself if he thought it would help him win....

Those old timers really had a problem with weed...

If Pitts is Megatron part two...getting a good left tackle or wideout doesn’t equal that.....

Yes I’m sure we’ll get a good player....but not a once in 10-15 year player like Pitts.
No he’s not. If he was that good, they would have moved him to WR, where there is significantly more offensive value. He’s a great TE prospect, and might even be a real unicorn at TE. But way more offense goes through the WRs and if he was megaton 2 that’s were he world be.

The Miami Dolphins have been unsuccessful in the last 25 years for one reason only, we are terrible at evaluating players and coaches period. We really suck at drafting players. The last real superstar the Dolphins drafted was Dan Marino, almost 40 yrs ago. Marino was Miami, everyone had his jerseys everywhere. Other teams fans would wear Marino jerseys because he was the main event. You wanted to watch him play football.
I agree, but would like to point out drafting players and being terrible at hiring coaches/GMs are 2 very different areas of the franchise. The past 20 years has been kind of a football anomaly; Brady alone played in 10 SBs. Miami isn’t alone in drafting/coaching struggles this century.

No he’s not. If he was that good, they would have moved him to WR, where there is significantly more offensive value. He’s a great TE prospect, and might even be a real unicorn at TE. But way more offense goes through the WRs and if he was megaton 2 that’s were he world be.
Pitts is a TE/WR...if you watched him play you know this....Shannon Sharpe on his podcast called him another “Megatron”....if you look at the percentages of where he lines up...he is a huge mismatch receiver that is used all over the field. Why do you think the evaluators now consider him the top non-QB prospect in this draft? He’s almost universally rated 2nd on nearly every draft board.

I wonder sometimes if some of you even pay attention to what the world is saying about these prospects?

Daniel Kelly SI/FANNATION

At first suggestion, to even think there could be “the next Megatron” out there seemed preposterous to me. Well, that is until I turned on the game film of a young man named Kyle Pitts.

Mel Kiper (who now has Pitts #2 overall on his big board)

“I don’t think [I’ve ever had a tight-end this high on the Big Board],” Kiper said. “I mean I go back to Kellen Winslow Sr. [in the 1987 NFL Draft]. I scouted Kellen Winslow Sr. … at Missouri and [he] was a great player for the Chargers. And he had a very high grade when he came out. But when you really go back to tight ends, [Pitts is] a receiving entity, I don’t know how we can … we have to come up with a name for that combo [of receiver and tight end]. Because that’s what [Pitts is].
Daniel Jerimiah NFLN

NFLN's Daniel Jeremiah on Florida TE Kyle Pitts, a Philly native: "I think you can make a strong case he's the best player in the draft. ...

Nick Saban

“Kyle Pitts, he's a fantastic player,” Alabama coach Nick Saban said. “His size and speed and athleticism, all those things make it very difficult to guard the guy. He's a very versatile player. He can play tight end, he can play on the line, he can play off the ball, out as a receiver. They move him around a lot. Creates a lot of issues and problems for you, no doubt. Probably as well as anybody we played against for a long time.”

Urban Meyer

“I think they have the best player in America, at least non-quarterback,” Meyer told Yahoo Sports. “He’s a matchup nightmare.”

Last edited:
Stop with this doomsday scenario with picking at 6, there are plenty of good players in this draft that can help the dolphins. They don't need a QB, they need a WR which they will have their pick of the litter, even if they move back to 9 they will be able to also.

At three we had him....after the trade there was a chance we would get him at 6....that is getting slimmer every day!
Show me a bunch of posts a few months ago of people clamoring for Pitts at #3 if that was really some kind of consensus.

This is all revisionist history after his pro day when his hype is spiraling out of control.

I appreciate your post and opinion I just cannot conceptualize how you evaluate players like that in that type of context.

Every draft presents unique opportunities about players..

Try to explain, Just because in the past a great tight was found in the third round doesn’t mean I should pass on a tight end who presents such a high level skill set relative to his class.

If the talent is graded in the blue chip category and the character checks out then 9 out of ten times you take the player..The past does not affect in any way whatsoever the present.

This is actually more to my point than against it.
You mean that he overmatched weekly. He was always the best player on the field, going up against blue-chip CB's - literally the best competition a college WR can face. Big, strong physical phenoms, who are significantly faster and more athletic than most of the CB's he'll face in the NFL. How many 6'0 205 LB CB's with 33" arms, a 4.39 40, and elite burst will Smith play in the NFL? How many will be half as physical as Horn? None - they're not allowed to.

Specifically, what type of trouble do we expect Smith to experience? I really don't see it.

For reference...did you see how Horn did against Smith in their matchup?

This is far more eloquent than I could put it:

Back
Top Bottom