Have the Dolphin once again traded back and missed getting a special player? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Have the Dolphin once again traded back and missed getting a special player?

Yes...and passing on clearly superior and rare talents like a Randy Moss was a mistake...if we miss out on Pitts...we did it again....
Pitts is very similar to Mike Gesicki athletically and in college production. Honest question: what makes him rare?

I could be wrong like everyone else on this board but I think trading out of the #3 spot means they dont view Pitts or Sewell as high as everyone else.
I think they will pick which WR they like the best.

Waiting could have cost us any trade. Atlanta may have made a deal with SF.

We got what we wanted to be in a great position at 6. Who knows if SF threatened to pull their offer.

If we were still there for Carolina to trade with, no doubt in my mind that they would have looked to trade with us. We already know Philly tried to move up to 3 too so we weren't short on offers. I would take a 1st from Philly or Carolina than an SF in 2023, which is basically the net we got. There is that comp 3rd rounder too but we dropped 33 places in this years draft for the right to pick at 6.

I really dislike the value we got for moving from 3 to 6, we were all saying the minimum to move out of this pivotal spot was 1st next year and a day 2 pick this year. There's a premium paid on more immediate picks so that net 2023 first (which comes from a better team than the ones we could have traded with, is not worth the same as the first next year, and we paid 33 places this year for a low comp round 3 pick next year. It's not great if you really analyse it.

I would happily have taken my chances and waited, if we had stayed at 3, Carolina and Denver and SF would all still be in play. Had SF traded with ATL, then they lose that power to pick the QB they are obviously targeting because there would be a danger that we could trade with a team that jumps them, they may even have traded 4 with us to protect that. I would their 2 this year and 2 next year that they still own to move back one spot above coming out this the net we did. We could then flip 4 if we wanted to Denver or Carolina for them to get their QB. Again that would have been better net, even if we decided we wanted to move up to 6 again, the price wouldn't be as high to go 8 to 6 or 9 to 6, but if we are happy with Chase, Pitts or Smith then staying at 8 or 9 I am sure will net you one.

We were robbed really, we gave up an extremely powerful position for minimal gain, especially in the short term and if we are just targeting Chase and Pitts, we may have screwed ourselves out of that.

Different from just Gesicki or different all TEs?

All TEs really, but also specifically big Mike. Pitts can cut like WR.

Mike is clearly stiffer and can’t get in and out breaks like Kyle.

To Gesicki’s credit, there are things he can do not many others can. That’s why I think Dallas would have strong interest in him should we land KP.

Edit: Let me add for the record, I’m a Gesicki fan, always was. I’m happy to have him. Hard not to want Pitts though. We’ve never had (or close to) that kind of player at that position. It’s time for a stud TE.

Last edited:
That was the biggest WTF moment ever.....didn't know who that was and I'm a SEC guy...Dear God ..Wanny was bad..
Wanny was and still is a moron of epic proportions. He ruined this franchise. So many misses (Brees, Anquan Boldin, and more) and such horrid, HORRID game-planning and play-calling (run-run-pass on 3rd and long). Wanny was a mental midget. All the proof of his ineptitude culminated in this one all important win-and-you're-in-or-go-home last game of the season where I almost stopped being a Dolphin fan:

Last edited:
This year is starting to look like a repeat with this organization that started with JJ....trade back for extra picks, miss out on a special player!

1998...JJ trades out of his first round pick at 19 for the 29th pick. 2 hall of famers are drafted between 19-29 that the draft genius Jimmy didn’t perceive....Randy Moss (an all time great wideout) and Alan Faneca.

He also receives pick 60 in the trade, but he trades down again for 3 later picks.

The net result...we lose hall of famer Randy Moss...we picked up John Avery, Brad Jackson, Scott Shaw and John Dutton. In other words, for 1st and 2nd round pick...we got 4 nothing’s.....zip!

We repeated the mistake in 2010....Trading out of Earl Thomas for Jared Odrick and Koa
Misi.

Trading down is not a good thing if your missing out on hall of fame talent.

Chris Greer was in a hurry to trade out of pick #3....and the net of trading down to #6 is we may lose out on 1 or 2 special players...Kyle Pitts looks like a truly rare and special talent that was ours at 3....at 6? It’s looking worse everyday!

And for what? A 2023 first round pick two years from now?

If we miss out on Kyle Pitts and he becomes a gold jacket wearing all time great(as I think he will)...this was yet another massive trade down disaster by this organization...I’m praying he gets to 6.
I kinda agree with you . People love collecting draft picks but if they turn into crap players then it was useless. . Many times so many trades are made people forget the details. For example we traded drake for a draft pick that we used to get matt bredia. I know drake turned down contract extension with us but that draft pick was useless because bredia didn’t work out. If Jackson doesn’t turn into a good tackle then the trade with Mikah will be bad. Draft picks are nice but you have to use them eventually. You better hit on them. We could miss out on pitts and chase.

McShay's draft has Pitts going 4 and Chase 5, we pick Smith. Not an awful outcome but that 1st rounder in 2023 that SF gave us better be a great player if Pitts and/or Chase end up better pros than Smith, if McShay is right of course.

The one thing I still don't understand, whether you like the deal or not is why make it so early ? Even waiting a week the landscape has changed significantly. I am not convinced 2 likely low firsts and 1 comp 3rd rounder is great compensation for dropping from the position that started the draft in many respects. Especially when it cost us the bulk of that comp to move back up again to 6. We really should have waited this out a little.
You aren’t wrong to question or be pissed at the trade. But don’t say that around here haha the Grier fanboys will come after you

Pitts is very similar to Mike Gesicki athletically and in college production. Honest question: what makes him rare?

You need to watch his tape and come back and tell us what you see. Seriously so many times folks post this kind of nonsense without doing a little research themselves. BTW Pitts played in 7 and a half games this season, had 3 games as a FR in 2018 and 13 games as an SO in 2019, when he broke through around halfway through that year. So the fact that Kyle had more receiving yards and more TDs in his 24 games than Gesicki had in his 45 should be a big clue that we are not talking about the same caliber of player.

People thinking the Bengals aren’t budging to take OL are dismissing the depth of this draft and the quality of the quarterbacks. If San Fran takes Mac and Atlanta passes on Justin Fields, no way Cincinnati values Sewell over someone’s one, two and maybe three in this years draft and a one next year when they can get quality help on both sides of the ball. Miami’s only questionable move was pulling the trigger so early. I think that three could have been way more valuable. But they obviously felt very strong about moving back up to six. I think they know something that we aren’t even considering. I do think Pitts will be there.

Maddest I ever been seeing Moss there and we trade down for a running back who is tiny and nobody ever heard of. I knew Moss was super special.

You aren’t wrong to question or be pissed at the trade. But don’t say that around here haha the Grier fanboys will come after you

I know. TBF to everyone on here and elsewhere in fin fandom, it was easy to make that conclusion that Grier was a genius in the immediate aftermath of the trades we made. I was relieved myself that we managed to get back up to 6 but the way these QBs are dominating the pre draft buzz right now and the fact that there are so many QB needy teams right behind us, means we gave up a hell of a lot of power for an extra 1st two years away !! It doesn't seem like a whole lot to me.

Back
Top Bottom