Herbert Shines In Front Of Dolphins Brass First Senior Bowl Practice | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Herbert Shines In Front Of Dolphins Brass First Senior Bowl Practice

What, exactly, have Mayfield or Murray won?

Just asking, because you are calling ppl "ignorant", then citing examples of two guys that haven't done jack. Haven't even had a winning season.
Really? One guy has been in the league one season and the other guy has been in the league two seasons. The point is, with the way the league is trending now on offense, height is not looked at like it once was. That's why the last two number one overall picks were six feet tall or shorter. I notice you didn't ask me what Russell Wilson has accomplished. Russell was a third round pick when he came out because of the questions about his height but I can guarantee you if he was entering the draft today he wouldn't be a third round pick.

If you have to go back nearly two decades to find 2 examples, they are outliers, not the norm. Wouldn't you agree?

I'm not saying a smaller guy can't be sucessful at all, but the poster I was replying to was throwing out the "ignorant" crap, then using two examples that haven't done a damn thing in the NFL.
The people I was referring to are the people who are using anything they can to bash Tua and tell you that he can't be successful for whatever they can come up with because they just don't want Miami to draft him. I do believe those people are ignorant about his height being a factor in wether or not he will be successful. It hasn't hurt him so far.

Herbert is going to shine in practice and workouts - the guy is a prototype of physical skills at QB. That’s never been in question.

Yeah outside of taking some snaps from under center he’s not showing you anything different. And the senior bowl with its vanilla defensive coverages and rules around blitzing etc isn’t really gonna give you does he have it between the ears answers either.

They got to get those answers on the whiteboard and in the meeting room.

The kid had a 4.10 in Molecular Biology. I am going to guess his whiteboard, Wunderlic, etc... turn out good. I would say he has something between the ears.

They're outliers in terms of volume thats for sure... But when it comes to performance, there's not much correlation between height and production...
How were you able to make that determination analytically?

I see your charts, but they are very short on specifics of what "performance" means, who the players/teams assessed were, etc.

Can I get the raw data?

Last edited:
While i think the game film is important, I think coaches will look at players like Herbert and Love and go beyond just their on the field production. Sometimes you have to look at a players issues and just try to figure are they areas that can be corrected and is a job your coaching staff can undertake. None of the qbs in the draft are finished products, they all need some degree of coaching and improving. Some more than others. Sometimes you just have project what you think the final product is going look like after you clean and polish everything. Some of these qbs might take a year or two of work and I wouldn't get too caught up on who struggles in their first preseason games or even their rookie season.

How were you able to make that determination analytically?
Well just did a quick 5 minutes overview which is posted right above your post. I mean I agree with you that height might be a factor in playing QB. But I think the guys who end up making it at this level are just so good that they found a way to make it work... Would explain why there arent alot of them at the very least...?

I see your charts, but they are very short on specifics of what "performance" means, who the players/teams assessed were, etc.

Can I get the raw data?
What performance means? Right on top of the chart I posted: "Height vs. Rating". Im pretty certain you can get raw data on those 2 on your own in like less than 5 minutes.... If you want a csv I'll just post it up I guess...

Well just did a quick 5 minutes overview which is posted right above your post. I mean I agree with you that height might be a factor in playing QB. But I think the guys who end up making it at this level are just so good that they found a way to make it work... Would explain why there arent alot of them at the very least...?
So what's your opinion on why there aren't a lot of them?

It could be an irrational "taboo" i suppose, but I doubt it. It could be that, as others have pointed out, that they have to excell in other areas to make of for their stature. It could simply be that they simply, as a rule, can't take the pounding.

There are several things that are needed to make a great QB, and size is certainly not as important as arm strength, read/react quickness, pocket awareness, etc, but history has shown that body type is a factor. That's true to a large extent for all positions really, not just QB.

So what's your opinion on why there aren't a lot of them?
Im just going to repeat what I said in the post you quoted.... I agree that height is a factor in playing QB, that would explain the fact that there are so few smaller QBs that make it to the NFL, and that the ones that do, have somehow found a way to make it work.

What performance means? Right on top of the chart I posted: "Height vs. Rating". Im pretty certain you can get raw data on those 2 on your own in like less than 5 minutes.... If you want a csv I'll just post it up I guess...
Are you set up to take the top 10 rated QBs over the last decade, and come up with the average height?

That would be a real world comparison. That way the " volume" becomes irrelevant.

Are you set up to take the top 10 rated QBs over the last decade, and come up with the average height?

That would be a real world comparison. That way the " volume" becomes irrelevant.
Top 10: 74.6 inches
Bottom10: 75 inches

Not last 10 years, this is going back to 2010...

Back
Top Bottom