Herd w/Colin Cowherd doesn't think Tua will be good because he is small with no wiggle | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Herd w/Colin Cowherd doesn't think Tua will be good because he is small with no wiggle

"No velocity."

ZNiIMM.gif

Thank goodness we have smarter scouts than some of the posters on here.

I'm not sure what you are trying to intimate here.

All of those guys had good attributes beyond arm strength.

If ppl are expecting Marino like velocity, and 25yd ropes, they will be disappointed.

That said, a canon arm is not a prerequisite for a good QB. It doesn't matter how hard, or far a guy can throw it, if it isn't accurate, can't negotiate the pocket effectively, or he can't read a defense.
That was in response to the arm strength is overrated claim, I don't think it's a coincidence that the majority of the greats had canons or at least above average arm strength, yes they all had other attributes but arm strength is one of the common denominators, if anything arm strength might be underrated.

Tua does not have a weak arm.

Don't be fooled by casuals who can't differentiate Tua's ability to change the speeds of his passes. Dilfer has mentioned this multiple times.

It's pretty clear when he's matched up directly next to Fitz. Tua has plenty of velocity. Once again, don't be fooled by casuals.

SMH that vid you posted proved absolutely nothing !

That was in response to the arm strength is overrated claim, I don't think it's a coincidence that the majority of the greats had canons or at least above average arm strength, yes they all had other attributes but arm strength is one of the common denominators, if anything arm strength might be underrated.
Meh, some guys did have big arms. Some didn't. Some get credit for having a big arm, that were really average.

Brees doesn't have a howitzer. Niether did Montana. Brady throws a nice deep ball when he's clean, but they are never on a line.

Sure, Elway, P. Manning, Aikman, Bradshaw, Ben, etc have very strong arms, but we didn't draft a 6'4" 240lb guy.

It proved nothing to you because your talent evaluation is atrocious. As you've demonstrated in this thread.
It proved nothing to anyone who's knowledgeable enough to understand that's not a great way to judge velocity and then using Fitz as your litmus test is beyond pathetic. Think about how pathetic it would be if I said " Wow look how much faster Fitz throws the ball in comparison to Chad Pennington, see I told you he has a strong arm"

I believe in the 1988 quarterback challenge Marino threw it 70 plus when V. Testaverde broke the record with an 80 yard throw.
Nice. I’ll tell you what else I recall Dan doing at one of the QB challenges - it was later in his career. Bledsoe was there as was Steve DeBerg so I’m thinking ‘early nineties. The last challenge was the one where they move the targets at 10, 20, 30 and 40 yards (all dart board style bullseye boards). Bledsoe called it “he’s gonna hit every one” as Dan got up to take his turn. He ****ing drilled every single one dead center. I don’t think anyone else hit the 40 in the center. And it was really weird seeing guys like Billy Joe Tolliver not even be able to hit the 10 yarder. Anyhow, Dan was down in the points but since that particular challenge was the hardest it carried more weight and so he wound up winning the whole thing. I also think he gave DeBerg part of his winnings as Steve was leading up until that point. Good times.

Meh, some guys did have big arms. Some didn't. Some get credit for having a big arm, that were really average.

Brees doesn't have a howitzer. Niether did Montana. Brady throws a nice deep ball when he's clean, but they are never on a line.

Sure, Elway, P. Manning, Aikman, Bradshaw, Ben, etc have very strong arms, but we didn't draft a 6'4" 240lb guy.

Montana is like the only guy with a meh type of arm on that list, prime Brees was decent in his prime I believe.

On a side note there's an article stating Tua doesn't just have the fastest release of any qb in the draft but its even faster than Marino's.

Nice. I’ll tell you what else I recall Dan doing at one of the QB challenges - it was later in his career. Bledsoe was there as was Steve DeBerg so I’m thinking ‘early nineties. The last challenge was the one where they move the targets at 10, 20, 30 and 40 yards (all dart board style bullseye boards). Bledsoe called it “he’s gonna hit every one” as Dan got up to take his turn. He ****ing drilled every single one dead center. I don’t think anyone else hit the 40 in the center. And it was really weird seeing guys like Billy Joe Tolliver not even be able to hit the 10 yarder. Anyhow, Dan was down in the points but since that particular challenge was the hardest it carried more weight and so he wound up winning the whole thing. I also think he gave DeBerg part of his winnings as Steve was leading up until that point. Good times.
I remember the bullseye board drill, plenty of well respected qbs use to whiff on that drill, it's no surprise Marino killed it. Dan is the greatest passer the NFL has ever seen.

Montana is like the only guy with a meh type of arm on that list, prime Brees was decent in his prime I believe.

On a side note there's an article stating Tua doesn't just have the fastest release of any qb in the draft but its even faster than Marino's.
An article can say anything it wants. I'll believe that when I see it. I can count on one hand the guys that were in Marino's class, as far as quick release, in history.

I guess we all have a different opinion on what qualifies as a "canon" arm. I don't consider Brees, even in his prime, as being even close to guys like Favre, Rodgers, or even Matt Stafford for that matter.

I remember the bullseye board drill, plenty of well respected qbs use to whiff on that drill, it's no surprise Marino killed it. Dan is the greatest passer the NFL has ever seen.
I remember that. I think he was the last guy to throw, and the only way to win was a bull on the deepest target. Nobody had hit it all day, and he nailed it.

A lot BS comes out of Cowherds mouth... but you’d have to be delusional to act like he doesn’t have a point...

All we can do is hope that Tua is also the exception
It would be interesting to know how many first round picks 6 feet or under could not make it in the NFL.
I think the majority of those QB's 6 feet or under were not 1st round picks because they did not have the talent Tua has, so the exception was already achieved by being drafted this high even tough he is not "tall".

Back
Top Bottom