How Far Can He Throw? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Far Can He Throw?

thailen

Practice Squad
Reaction score
As you can imagine, NFL fans are arguing about the winning play by the Dolphins. BTW, I'm a Saints fan and I HATE the PATS. Among the points we discussed, some of us thought that Belicheck had no business leaving Gronk in there, because there's no way Tannenhill couold throw a pass 69 yards. On the other hand, others of us said he didn't need to - if he threw it 50 or 60 yards - they could still score. So my question is, based on your knowledge of Tannenhill's arm strength and past history, how far could he throw?

As you can imagine, NFL fans are arguing about the winning play by the Dolphins. BTW, I'm a Saints fan and I HATE the PATS. Among the points we discussed, some of us thought that Belicheck had no business leaving Gronk in there, because there's no way Tannenhill couold throw a pass 69 yards. On the other hand, others of us said he didn't need to - if he threw it 50 or 60 yards - they could still score. So my question is, based on your knowledge of Tannenhill's arm strength and past history, how far could he throw?
He can throw that distance.

He has an extremely strong arm.

With the lingering shoulder injury, no idea. We've probably seen 45 yards in the air? Since he returned from the injury.

He won't be 100% until after the season.

IDK what Belichick was thinking cause a hail mary was not in play but Tannehill healthy is probably in the 60-68 yard range.

At full strength, he's not Mahomes...but jis arm strength is in that percentile.

It wasn't 69 yards. The snap was at the 31. Tannehill was in shotgun at the 25 or 26 and he dropped back another 4 or so yards. So you are looking at a 75 plus yard pass (to the endzone). Highly unlikely.
If the plan was to throw it 50 or 60 yards and then run it in Gronk was still the wrong player. He can't tackle. Gronk would make only sense if Ryan would heaved it into the endzone which at that distance is highly unlikely.

He can throw that distance.

He has an extremely strong arm.

With the lingering shoulder injury, no idea. We've probably seen 45 yards in the air? Since he returned from the injury.

He won't be 100% until after the season.
I also saw a flubby into the stands a few years ago in San Diego. A Hail Mary from that distance is not worth the gamble. Besides the distance you need the arc as well.

I also saw a flubby into the stands a few years ago in San Diego. A Hail Mary from that distance is not worth the gamble. Besides the distance you need the arc as well.
I'd never do it, OP just asked if he had the arm for it.

I'd never do it, OP just asked if he had the arm for it.
TBH the only one who has the arm for a throw that far is Aaron Rodgers. He perfected the Hail Mary. A while ago I read an article about one of his Hail Maries. He releases the ball at a 53-60 degree angle and a 68-yard hail mary reached a peak height of 78 feet (!!!!). The total distance the ball traveled was over 100 yards.

Let me see if I can find it.

Here it is. From 2015:
https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/the-numbers-behind-the-hail-mary

While getting the ball to the end zone is preferred, it doesn’t have to go that far.

If the battle for the ball takes place say 10 yards out but is deflected to a player waiting outside the scrum, they can run the additional yardage. Teams practice redirecting the ball behind and also in front of the scrum.

TBH the only one who has the arm for a throw that far is Aaron Rodgers. He perfected the Hail Mary. A while ago I read an article about one of his Hail Maries. He releases the ball at a 53-60 degree angle and a 68-yard hail mary reached a peak height of 78 feet (!!!!). The total distance the ball traveled was over 100 yards.

Let me see if I can find it.

Here it is. From 2015:
https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/the-numbers-behind-the-hail-mary
I wish it was in Dallas and hit the TV like the punter did, lol.

While getting the ball to the end zone is preferred, it doesn’t have to go that far.

If the battle for the ball takes place say 10 yards out but is deflected to a player waiting outside the scrum, they can run the additional yardage. Teams practice redirecting the ball behind and also in front of the scrum.
Which brings us back to the original point that in that case Gronk was the wrong player as well.
That is the play though I would favor the least from that distance.

Back
Top Bottom