How Far Can He Throw? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Far Can He Throw?

I think that stepping into the throw, if his shoulder was healthy, he could probably get it to the goal line from where the ball was snapped. Here's probably the most ridiculous throw I've seen him make in a game:

(play starts at 8 seconds if the timestamp doesn't work)

He releases the ball from the Miami 36 yard line, rolling to his left under duress and hits Gray at the Pittsburgh 10 yard line. Pretty absurd. I absolutely think that in a clean pocket with the ability to step into a clean throw he could get the ball 70 yards in the air.

He thriws it 67 yards at about the 3:40 mark here, from 33 to goal line:

That was INCREDIBLE as he had pressure coming and had to get it off quick- didnt even take a full all out stride. his feet look like just another flat footed 30 yard toss. he can definitely hit 70 when healthy.

i didnt watch all, but i did see a few other 60+ .

And at end he throws 53 yards RUNNING LEFT across his body with pressure coming. Yowza that boy is STRONG!.

Last edited:
The TD to Stills against SD in '16 was almost 60 yards. He threw it from just behind the 50 and put it about 8 yards deep in the end zone...and could not step into the throw as he was hit after releasing it.

Let's say New England kicks off into the end zone for a touchback. Do they still have Gronkowski out there if the play begins at the 25?

The number of stupid/questionable decisions they made was incredible. My longtime belief is any team that squib kicks deserves to lose. It is an incomparably stupid play. So many things can go wrong when that ball is low and forced to avoid up men from the return team, as opposed to sailing comfortably above their heads.

Dan Fouts has said many times that he used to be on the sideline begging for the opponent to squib kick.

Anyway, pre injury I'd say Tannehill could manage 65+. Now he wouldn't be close to that, especially on a soft field which impacts ability to push off.

p4e mentioned it, discussing the angle of Rodgers throw. the issue isn't as much the distance he can throw, a 60 yard pass down field is different than a 60 yard hail mary. you start losing distance for trajectory. so if you're arm strength can normally send ya a 60 yarder down field on a go route or whatever, once you add in the angle at which you have to throw it for it to be a jump ball, you might as well take 10 yards or so off of it.

I don't know how many of yall guys remember the QB challenge back in the days, I used to love em and the video games. but it always seemed like in the long distance throws marino always put a lot of air behind the ball and it made me feel like "come on his arm is stronger than that" read and recognition he could dot the 50 yard crossing target by seemingly putting the ball on a line.

but regardless , when healthy, I really don't expect a jumpball in the endzone with RT from past midfield. by the time he drops back 10 yards, changes the angle, I think that's about what we'd see how of him healthy for launching in endzone. do I think he could hit a dime from there into the endzone, of course though. do I think he could hit a 16 yard pass that could allow the team to get into the endzone on a few laterals, hell to the yeeah!

I don't know if he has the arm for it or not for that distance on a hail mary. I never seen him attempt one.
I have to believe based on anecdotal evidence that while the Hail Mary is a very low percentage play in the pros, it does occasionally occur while the Hook & Ladder has rarely if ever been successful until now.

Based on these assumptions, and even counting on being the team that catches a ricochet that doesn't get knocked to the ground, the Dolphins were aware that a heave by Tannehill would come well short of lucky ricochet area. So I'd conclude that with his shoulder, Ryan likely couldn't throw it beyond 60, hence the almost zero odds Miami Miracle.

I have to believe based on anecdotal evidence that while the Hail Mary is a very low percentage play in the pros, it does occasionally occur while the Hook & Ladder has rarely if ever been successful until now.

Based on these assumptions, and even counting on being the team that catches a ricochet that doesn't get knocked to the ground, the Dolphins were aware that a heave by Tannehill would come well short of lucky ricochet area. So I'd conclude that with his shoulder, Ryan likely couldn't throw it beyond 60, hence the almost zero odds Miami Miracle.
I have to agree on the odds. That's why I didn't expect either one.

That was INCREDIBLE as he had pressure coming and had to get it off quick- didnt even take a full all out stride. his feet look like just another flat footed 30 yard toss. he can definitely hit 70 when healthy.

And at end he throws 53 yards RUNNING LEFT across his body with pressure coming. Yowza that boy is STRONG!.

Have you ever seen a Hail Mary? I really don't know where the confusion is. A 50 or 60-yard pass play is a whole different ball game from a 50 to 60-yard Hail Mary. TBH if Tannehill could not throw a 50 or 60-yard pass play he would have no business playing in the NFL.

p4e mentioned it, discussing the angle of Rodgers throw. the issue isn't as much the distance he can throw, a 60 yard pass down field is different than a 60 yard hail mary. you start losing distance for trajectory. so if you're arm strength can normally send ya a 60 yarder down field on a go route or whatever, once you add in the angle at which you have to throw it for it to be a jump ball, you might as well take 10 yards or so off of it.
Finally someone understands that. :pbj:

Not sure who phins 4 ever is addressing when he asks if youve ever seen a hail mary. he quoted me.

whats the point? my video above shows THill throwing 67 yards [EDIT- MY BAD IT WAS INLY 47yds- WRONG SIDE FIELD] quickly under pressure. Im sure he could hit 75 if he had all day back there to set up and heave.

In any event- his arm is one of the best. He throws 40 yards passes with zero effort, flat footed.

A Hail Mary is a heckuva lot easier to throw, as youre not concerned with hitting them in stride or an INT from a floating ball.

Last edited:
The talking heads on TV crack me up, bashing Belichick for having Gronk in there, when they know damn well that if any one of there where the coach in that situation, they would have don't the exact same thing. It's easy to sit there and pass judgment in hindsight. It's another thing to do it in the moment. If it were easy, we'd all be NFL head coaches.

(and don't get me started on how the media is only talking about how NE lost the game instead of how MIA won it. Damn morons.)

At full strength, he's not Mahomes...but jis arm strength is in that percentile.

I don't think his arm talent is well known nationally. In listening to WEEI Boston all week you'd think he's Chad Pennington and very few mention his arm strength is down a bit because of the shoulder.

I had forgotten what an absolute dime he threw to Mike Wallace at the end of that Panthers game, and how mad I was at Mike Wallace for failing to track and catch that football.

Guy makes a one in a million throw 70 yards downfield and you're turning around like it's a Chinese fire drill out there.

TBH the only one who has the arm for a throw that far is Aaron Rodgers. He perfected the Hail Mary. A while ago I read an article about one of his Hail Maries. He releases the ball at a 53-60 degree angle and a 68-yard hail mary reached a peak height of 78 feet (!!!!). The total distance the ball traveled was over 100 yards.

Let me see if I can find it.

Here it is. From 2015:
https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/the-numbers-behind-the-hail-mary
Mahomes can flick it that far. The kid routinely does it in warmups

On the throw to Parker? That was only like a 40 yard throw

Back
Top Bottom