How good is Sewell? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How good is Sewell?

If you put aside your admiration for 1 specific player though (and I know it's hard to do), the same thing can be said about WR.

When's the last time a team took an undersized WR top 3?

I don't care to revisit a discussion we have had before, just saying our position of having #3 it's not optimum to use the pick.

Most teams picking there are terrible to start with, so they have a lot more paths that would make sense for them.
Why is why our situation isn't common and the ability to take a WR at #3, even if he is undersized, is because we aren't needing a QB and there are no pass rushers worth it. Most WRs coming out of college that aren't named Calvin Johnson have question marks about them which is why Julio Jones still went #6 despite his size... because he didn't have the production Smith had.

In a perfect world I teleport 2020 Chase Young into this draft and nab him at #3, but we need to deal with the cards that we were dealt and to me, one of the biggest ways of blowing that would be to take Sewell at #3 for multiple reasons.

The arguement to that is if you kick Hunt inside, you have upgraded two starting positions long term.

No saying that's the way to go, but I can see the line of thinking.
Taking Smith and having him take the #1 role and moving Parker down to #2 does the same thing.

Three rookies in an off-season with limited/virtually nonexistent training because of a global health pandemic. No preseason games, cast straight into the fire.

The group wasn't good but it was an improvement over 2019. Im giving the benefit of the doubt. You can snag a right tackle in the second round, easily. Not worth taking Sewell that high. Left handed quarterback changes the equation, as right tackle becomes the blind side blocker, and im not drafting Penei Sewell to play right tackle.

If Deshaun Watson were here, then yes, I'd heavily consider Sewell (but that's another argument for another thread, and we wouldn't have #3 overall anyway if Watson was here)
Actually... I'm in complete disagreement with you on that. If I had Watson, I'd be happy with a standard RT and trust that Jackson is developing.

It's with Tua that I want an exceptional Tackle on the Right side... but no, it doesn't have to be Sewell... the Tackle pool is as deep as the WR pool.

....and that's why I'd trade down farther than most are happy with. If I could get one of those 4:1 or 5:1 deals to move into the 20s, I would do that in a heartbeat.

Anyone want to bet me if Miami drafts Sewell he plays guard for you? Any takers?

top 5 left/right guard with what we have already in house. Maybe if flowers wasn’t in house.

Another thing to factor in is with 3 rookie OL's last year and Penei this year, you going to be in cap heil in 4 years trying to re- sign the keepers in the group. Do you want to have all your money tied up in the OL when you have a QB that will also need signed?

Perhaps but, arguably, not the same "chance".

Sewell is seen by many as the "safer" pick. The fact is, though, our need at WR v tackle makes it not a clearcut decision.

Best scenario is the jests do something jestlike, and leave two top QB prospects on the board.
IMHO, the typical Jet's move would be to overdraft a DT and avoid positional value, need, and BPA. Alas, I don't think they're going to do that this year. Drafting Zack Wilson makes too much sense, and reports are that this is exactly what they are going to do. Unfortunately, Wilson looks like a very natural athlete and thrower of the ball, so he'll be an instant-upgrade over Darnold.

Sewell is a HOF tackle, but Miami needs to shift their paradigm now. They need faster, better skilled players that can offset their inability to block.

The arguement to that is if you kick Hunt inside, you have upgraded two starting positions long term.

No saying that's the way to go, but I can see the line of thinking.
But you still miss out on another (maybe more) draft choices/chances to get more value for the pick. Sewell is one guy, maybe all world, but there are still 4 more guy's that have to play together to make the OL work.

Anyone want to bet me if Miami drafts Sewell he plays guard for you? Any takers?

top 5 left/right guard with what we have already in house. Maybe if flowers wasn’t in house.
Well... I don't think we'll draft him at all, but hit me up if we do. We can go taglines for it...

I think he'd be immediately placed at Right Tackle.

Another thing to factor in is with 3 rookie OL's last year and Penei this year, you going to be in cap heil in 4 years trying to re- sign the keepers in the group. Do you want to have all your money tied up in the OL when you have a QB that will also need signed?

worry about that problem when the time comes as in you have the players to warrant worrying about

right now you don’t

If all of them worked out, it would be a good problem to have, but we all know... all of them rarely work out...

...and in the long run, I think we'll be run like the Patriots are run... let the good walk away and keep the great... get lots of comp picks.

Sewell is a HOF tackle, but Miami needs to shift their paradigm now. They need faster, better skilled players that can offset their inability to block.
Nothing to do with the specifics of this situation, but NOTHING adequately offsets the inability of the O-line to block.

I wish he had been great.

But he was a young rookie (20 y/o when drafted), viewed at as more potential than instant greatness.

So I thought he did fine, but I'm expecting a big jump.

No idea if there were any lingering effects of the bone marrow procedure.

I would not necessarily say potential because you are threading on a gray line. He is definitely one of those that is expected to be a hit, and a very high chance of having the success that is expected in a pro level. Like who can you compare him to really in this draft? He's going to be 21 this October, that is crazy.

Well... I don't think we'll draft him at all, but hit me up if we do. We can go taglines for it...

I think he'd be immediately placed at Right Tackle.

im gonna win that bet which is why Miami won’t draft him. And someone else will as a left tackle try first.

other teams won’t miscast him out the gate. Miami at guard probably wouldn’t either but it doesn’t have a left tackle spot for him anyways

im gonna win that bet which is why Miami won’t draft him. And someone else will as a left tackle try first.

other teams won’t miscast him out the gate. Miami at guard probably wouldn’t either but it doesn’t have a left tackle spot for him anyways
He's played Right Tackle before... going back there to cover for Tua would probably amuse him.

The two of them tied for Polynesian player of the year last year... LOL

Back
Top Bottom