How good is Sewell? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How good is Sewell?

I'm not going to argue value. RT value is questionable.

As a direct response, when's the last time a 10 win team had a top three pick?

We aren't taking a QB, though I wouldn't have a huge issue with doing so. We aren't taking a corner, for obvious reasons, and there are no "elite" pass rushing prospects.

I know the pedestal on which you place Smith, but I don't think this situation is a common one.

That is not an advocation for Sewell at all. My preference is to find a buyer for the pick.
My ideal situation is also to trade down and get one of Smith, Chase, or Waddle.

What I don't want to do is "settle" on RT value at 3 if trading down is not in the cards for a million obvious reasons.

My point is to take advantage of the unique situation by drafting an actual right tackle and reap the benefits of the added value that brings relative to his position that every other team can't take advantage of.

Maybe you aren't getting the same caliber of player on the other side, but you don't need all-world. Really good is good enough.
Which would be nice... except that Right Tackles play on that side because 99% of teams have right handed QBs and the RT plays the vision side... and the side that most teams generally run.

There are VERY very few RTs with dancing bear type feet that the blind side protectors must have, college RTs are generally slow footed maulers like Robert Hunt. I'm pretty sure that you understand this even though it wrecks your argument.

In your defense... there are a few RTs who possess this type of ability, but they generally play at lesser schools where they run oddball offenses like Washington State's... ...and their RT is on my middle round list.

My ideal situation is also to trade down and get one of Smith, Chase, or Waddle.

What I don't want to do is "settle" on RT value at 3 if trading down is not in the cards for a million obvious reasons.
If you put aside your admiration for 1 specific player though (and I know it's hard to do), the same thing can be said about WR.

When's the last time a team took an undersized WR top 3?

I don't care to revisit a discussion we have had before, just saying our position of having #3 it's not optimum to use the pick.

Most teams picking there are terrible to start with, so they have a lot more paths that would make sense for them.

I'm not going to argue value. RT value is questionable.

As a direct response, when's the last time a 10 win team had a top three pick?

We aren't taking a QB, though I wouldn't have a huge issue with doing so. We aren't taking a corner, for obvious reasons, and there are no "elite" pass rushing prospects.

I know the pedestal on which you place Smith, but I don't think this situation is a common one.

That is not an advocation for Sewell at all. My preference is to find a buyer for the pick.
I realize I'm jumping into a debate between two people that are not me, so sorry, but I wanted to emphasize what @Mach2 said about positional value.

It is true that LT does have high positional value, and the argument is that because Tua is a lefty his RT is his blindside protector has high positional value does have merit. But, most defenses are designed to isolate their most elite speed rusher against the LT most of the time and their most powerful bull rusher against the RT most of the time. So I think @Mach2 is correct regarding Sewell's positional value. Most teams would be content to keep their bull rusher against Sewell at RT and take their chances generating blindside pressure, and isolate their twitchy speed guy against Jackson, who hasn't quite evolved to become a dominant LT yet. The increase in efficiency by adding Sewell is significant, but not a game changer to this offense. Tua's mobility is one reason why we do NOT need to invest in two 1st into OT just to get a solid line.

Jesse Davis + Ja'Marr Chase >= Pennei Sewell + Preston Williams. That is the equation. And realize that whomever is NOT replaced in either side of this equation is a strong candidate to be replaced in the 2nd round of this or a near-future draft. Chase has a chance to make this offense great. Sewell has a chance to make this offense solid. I know which I'd choose.

I dont think it would be the best choice at #3 considering the elite WRs on the board. Miami could trade down with Detroit or Carolina and very likely would still be able to take Smith, Chase or Waddle. I feel like that's the move. There's plenty of good tackles on the board that you can snag in round 2 (Cosmi, Eichenberg, others) if Miami is still considering additional OL help - but like others have said, taking another OL after you drafted three last year is a bit of a tall order. Just hoping Jackson. Kindley and Hunt continue to improve with off-season training.

But is he better as a starter than say 2 starters? A small trade back and you will have the ammo to fill 2 holes instead of just one at tackle.

I realize I'm jumping into a debate between two people that are not me, so sorry, but I wanted to emphasize what @Mach2 said about positional value.

It is true that LT does have high positional value, and the argument is that because Tua is a lefty his RT is his blindside protector has high positional value does have merit. But, most defenses are designed to isolate their most elite speed rusher against the LT most of the time and their most powerful bull rusher against the RT most of the time. So I think @Mach2 is correct regarding Sewell's positional value. Most teams would be content to keep their bull rusher against Sewell at RT and take their chances generating blindside pressure, and isolate their twitchy speed guy against Jackson, who hasn't quite evolved to become a dominant LT yet. The increase in efficiency by adding Sewell is significant, but not a game changer to this offense. Tua's mobility is one reason why we do NOT need to invest in two 1st into OT just to get a solid line.

Jesse Davis + Ja'Marr Chase >= Pennei Sewell + Preston Williams. That is the equation. And realize that whomever is NOT replaced in either side of this equation is a strong candidate to be replaced in the 2nd round of this or a near-future draft. Chase has a chance to make this offense great. Sewell has a chance to make this offense solid. I know which I'd choose.
Perhaps but, arguably, not the same "chance".

Sewell is seen by many as the "safer" pick. The fact is, though, our need at WR v tackle makes it not a clearcut decision.

Best scenario is the jests do something jestlike, and leave two top QB prospects on the board.

I dont think it would be the best choice at #3 considering the elite WRs on the board. Miami could trade down with Detroit or Carolina and very likely would still be able to take Smith, Chase or Waddle. I feel like that's the move. There's plenty of good tackles on the board that you can snag in round 2 (Cosmi, Eichenberg, others) if Miami is still considering additional OL help - but like others have said, taking another OL after you drafted three last year is a bit of a tall order. Just hoping Jackson. Kindley and Hunt continue to improve with off-season training.
I'm curious why you see it as a 'tall order' when it was obviously true that all 5 of our linemen were not just bad, but completely unsuitable the year before.

3 linemen, (one of whom was drafted on the third day) doesn't fill all five spots.

Slater is tbe cleanest. Sewell tbe most upside driven largely in his pass pro technique meeting the move atblete.

if I’m taking anything top 5 oline wise in this class it’s Sewell. Slater due to frame and what I already have Id consider at 18 as a pivot.

nothing here is worth moving jackson over etc or upgrading what we already have top 20 at either tackle spot.

I’m doing something else. Betting on Jackson and maybe looking at a right tackle type piece later.

im probably not taking a pivot at 18 either. Supposedly Miami likes the meinerz kid and I’d think I could get him at like pick 80 or something to give me another interior piece.

top 5-9 parsons or a wr/pitts if I’m Miami and pitts is strongly unlikely given what we have in house and word Miami wants to extend more of it

they’d have to think outside the box to pluck pitts

Sewell seems like a great prospect, at least on the level of the big 4 last year.
OTs are also arguably the 2nd most valuable position (close with DE and CB). Look at the quality of OT that's hit free agency, compared to the WRs that are available. The good ones are basically never available. So I don't see an issue with taking OL last year and going back to it again while we still wait for Jackson to develop. Best case they both hit and we move one for a haul. Worst case we still probably got one really good tackle between them.
Trade down is a better option, but I think he's the best pick it staying at 3.

Sewell seems like a great prospect, at least on the level of the big 4 last year.
OTs are also arguably the 2nd most valuable position (close with DE and CB). Look at the quality of OT that's hit free agency, compared to the WRs that are available. The good ones are basically never available. So I don't see an issue with taking OL last year and going back to it again while we still wait for Jackson to develop. Best case they both hit and we move one for a haul. Worst case we still probably got one really good tackle between them.
Trade down is a better option, but I think he's the best pick it staying at 3.
Top WRs move around MUCH more than top Tackles do.

Teams rarely let one go unless they receive a ridiculous offer from Bill O'Brien. Two firsts and a second... ROFL.

I'm curious why you see it as a 'tall order' when it was obviously true that all 5 of our linemen were not just bad, but completely unsuitable the year before.

3 linemen, (one of whom was drafted on the third day) doesn't fill all five spots.
Three rookies in an off-season with limited/virtually nonexistent training because of a global health pandemic. No preseason games, cast straight into the fire.

The group wasn't good but it was an improvement over 2019. Im giving the benefit of the doubt. You can snag a right tackle in the second round, easily. Not worth taking Sewell that high. Left handed quarterback changes the equation, as right tackle becomes the blind side blocker, and im not drafting Penei Sewell to play right tackle.

If Deshaun Watson were here, then yes, I'd heavily consider Sewell (but that's another argument for another thread, and we wouldn't have #3 overall anyway if Watson was here)

But is he better as a starter than say 2 starters? A small trade back and you will have the ammo to fill 2 holes instead of just one at tackle.
The arguement to that is if you kick Hunt inside, you have upgraded two starting positions long term.

No saying that's the way to go, but I can see the line of thinking.

Back
Top Bottom