How Miami will spend their money... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Miami will spend their money...

Fin_Frenzy_84

Starter
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of fans throwing out big defensive names lately that they want Miami to sign. I have seen some love for spending some money on the O-Line as well which makes sense but when it comes to big named skill players, a lot of our fans want no part of us paying them top dollar.

Our defense is already taking up more than half of our cap because we handed out pretty big contracts the past couple seasons to key members on our defense.
As for our offense, our two largest contracts are Parker and Flowers and I believe we can cut both of them next offseason and save money then.

Adding a stud or two on defense would be nice for sure but paying a defensive free agent big money really doesn't make sense considering the way our team is currently built. We barely have any money invested in the offense so now's the time to drop some money on that side of the ball especially since our defense outplayed the offense this past season also.

I'd be down to throw some money to upgrade our line for sure but I would also be down to drop some money on a big name weapon also. Allen Robinson at 20 million is a lot but he is worth it especially when you look at the WR contracts thats been handed out throughout the league. A-Rob is a borderline top 5 WR and has had đź’© QBs his entire career. Imagine what he can do with a good QB..... His price tag is not all that bad compared to a lot of other receiver contracts....

As for Aaron Jones, I would honestly love to work out a deal for him regardless how people feel about paying running backs. We struggled big time at punching the ball in and Jones has had 30 TD's the past two seasons.... He would upgrade our offense tremendously just because his ability to find the end zone. We lost games last season because our inability to finish drives. I won't pay him 15 Mil and I don't think anyone else will either but I can live with 12-13 million for a proven young RB that fits us perfectly. If we choose to find a RB in the draft, Miami better hit that specific pick or else Jason Saunders gonna be drilling FGs all year again... Addressing our O-Line will also help but I don't think we'll need to go all out on the line yet. Let's see how the three rookies play in year 2 before panicking about the line getting that push for the running game. As for Flowers and Karras, I'd be open to upgrading them this offseason but if we decided to ride it out one more year with them, it's still wouldn't be that bad as long as they add a cheap depth piece too. The biggest thing is definitely year 2 for Jackson, Kindley, and Hunt when it comes to the line as of now.

So basically I feel like dropping money on a weapon is not nearly as bad as some our fan base thinks. Especially since our weapons were hands down the worst thing about our team and probably the leagues worst... Hell out O-Line went through a fair share of ups and downs but they had many more good moments than our weapons. I really hope we get an elite FA for our offense or a couple just solid to good offensive free agents. I'd much rather spend money on the biggest weak link of the team. Especially since that weak link is out there with Tua, we NEED to fix the offense for him. That's the priority

A lot of it will come down to how interested the FO is actually in getting Watson. I think there's a lot of smoke there but it seems to have increased in likeliness somewhat since early January. Assuming we stay on the Tua Train, theres a lot of options though I would not necessarily think we'd be going WR unless it's just to fill some holes. I think we'll probably go after Thuney as it fills a need and maybe Jones though we might be better off just drafting two RBs.

If somehow they know Watson is coming before FA starts, that will alter the plan dramatically as we would then have to go probably after Robinson because the top pick wont be there in exchange for Watson. Again, I want to be clear, I'm thinking the odds are very low to have secured a deal on Watson over the next 14 days. To me that's in the 10-15% likelihood range.

Well, this has been beaten to dead but again, we don't have enough cap space to "throw money" at top players this year. once again, we're sitting at a bit over 22mill of cap space and 11.9mill of that will go to the draft if we keep all of our picks right where they're at which only leaves about 11mill. At least 5mill you leave for in season moves which leaves about 6mill so people need to stop this fantasy that we're going to get 2 or 3 top players in free agency. We'll be lucky to get 2 or 3 2nd tier players unless that is, we decide to cut several players which of course we'd need to replace.

The other option is to restructure contracts but some of us still remember how bad that turned out for us the last time we did that.

Personally I want A.Jones RB and C.Linsley C. Two impact players that will already make a huge improvement to our offense before the draft. I believe both can be had for around 20mil total per year. There are some simple player releases that would make sure we have the cap space.

I'm all down for a fa center, lb, safety, wr, but not for a rb. We are in fantastic position to get a starting rb in the draft on a rook contract. Let's spend for a vet on the oline.
That's cool and all but I feel like Aaron Jones is still very fresh since Green Bay failed to utilize him the right way for half his career. He's an all around beast obviously and nobody can deny that. He's only 26 and he doesn't have much wear and tear. Most of all he's the perfect fit for what we need at RB.
Running back is also one of the cheaper positions to pay also so is saving that money through the draft really that crucial?

A lot of fin fans want Leonard Williams and he is a beast but he'll get 15-20 million for sure and lately it's sounding like it will be closer to 20 million...

I see Jones getting 12-15 million but let's be honest, who's gonna pay him 15 or even 14 million. Cook is getting 12.6, Henry is at 12.5 and Mixon is at 12 million. They all got locked up recently so I see something close to those numbers. Henry and Cook are better than Jones but Jones is better than Mixon imo. If I'm Miami I'm pushing for Jones to sign on a 5 year worth 62 million or a 4 year worth 52 million. So 13 million annually at the most for him.
Over 100 players get paid more than that annually as of now. We can address a handful of other positions in the draft that are getting paid the big money. Only expensive position I'd consider paying this year is WR and I'd only give that big money to Robinson and maybe Godwin. People who think Robinson for 20 million is a deal breaker are nuts. 18-20 for him no doubt. He'll get no less than 18 for sure and if we missed out on landing him because of a 1-2 million difference, especially if he get no more than 20 million, that could be a mistake. WR is out biggest need. We need speed, route running, and someone who can create separation. ARob is literally the complete package outside of having big time speed and he's proved that with horrible QBs. If we have a chance at him, don't pass it up!!! Then draft a receiver at some point with the speed.
That's the only way I'd hand out a big time contract like that.
Jones or ARob need to be the priority if we do make that splash. They would have the biggest impact for our team from a winning aspect imo

If there is one thing about running backs is that the Dolphins have been trying out different guys in the last few seasons. The common denominator for offensive issues is none other than our offensive line. In spite of bringing Flowers, and drafting Austin Jackson we basically didn't rank any better than 28th in the league. Our rush blocking wasn't that great either, the only guy who consistently was better than the rest was Hunt. In fact toward the last 6-8 games he was ranking top 7 in league rankings for right tackle; however, he is still better suited to play guard by providing a stronger presence in the inside. This opens up another topic now of course, and that would be free agency, and the draft.

If the dolphins are looking to upgrade their offensive line then they should definitely sign Corey Lindsey, and draft Penei Sewell at tackle. We can then shift Jackson at Right Tackle, and move hunt to RG. This line would be night and day compared to last year, and or any year before. We will have the best center in the league, two young tackles, two solid guards, and this will open up our team in other opportunities such as our running game. There really isn't a need to use free agency to get a running back. If the team happens to care about a specific RB they will probably do so through the draft. We have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds alone, and there are usually gems found in later rounds also if we are smart.

Last edited:
A lot of it will come down to how interested the FO is actually in getting Watson. I think there's a lot of smoke there but it seems to have increased in likeliness somewhat since early January. Assuming we stay on the Tua Train, theres a lot of options though I would not necessarily think we'd be going WR unless it's just to fill some holes. I think we'll probably go after Thuney as it fills a need and maybe Jones though we might be better off just drafting two RBs.

If somehow they know Watson is coming before FA starts, that will alter the plan dramatically as we would then have to go probably after Robinson because the top pick wont be there in exchange for Watson. Again, I want to be clear, I'm thinking the odds are very low to have secured a deal on Watson over the next 14 days. To me that's in the 10-15% likelihood range.
I agree about no Watson deal anytime soon. I really don't think it happens at all this offseason. I think Watson is not just talking the talk about sitting out and he's definitely prepared to sit out until they deal him. I think their front office is definitely preparing for the holdout as well and they probably know he's serious about it all. This not about trade leverage for Houston at this point either. I believe they're not answering teams right now. They understand those same offers will still be on the table this time next year EXCEPT Miami's offer. As long as Watson doesn't like the Jets, we have the biggest package but just for this offseason. If they waited to trade him until next season, Miami can go ahead and just offer 3- 4 future first at that point since we went ahead and built the team with this upcoming draft. It's bout to get wild lol

That's cool and all but I feel like Aaron Jones is still very fresh since Green Bay failed to utilize him the right way for half his career. He's an all around beast obviously and nobody can deny that. He's only 26 and he doesn't have much wear and tear. Most of all he's the perfect fit for what we need at RB.
Running back is also one of the cheaper positions to pay also so is saving that money through the draft really that crucial?

A lot of fin fans want Leonard Williams and he is a beast but he'll get 15-20 million for sure and lately it's sounding like it will be closer to 20 million...

I see Jones getting 12-15 million but let's be honest, who's gonna pay him 15 or even 14 million. Cook is getting 12.6, Henry is at 12.5 and Mixon is at 12 million. They all got locked up recently so I see something close to those numbers. Henry and Cook are better than Jones but Jones is better than Mixon imo. If I'm Miami I'm pushing for Jones to sign on a 5 year worth 62 million or a 4 year worth 52 million. So 13 million annually at the most for him.
Over 100 players get paid more than that annually as of now. We can address a handful of other positions in the draft that are getting paid the big money. Only expensive position I'd consider paying this year is WR and I'd only give that big money to Robinson and maybe Godwin. People who think Robinson for 20 million is a deal breaker are nuts. 18-20 for him no doubt. He'll get no less than 18 for sure and if we missed out on landing him because of a 1-2 million difference, especially if he get no more than 20 million, that could be a mistake. WR is out biggest need. We need speed, route running, and someone who can create separation. ARob is literally the complete package outside of having big time speed and he's proved that with horrible QBs. If we have a chance at him, don't pass it up!!! Then draft a receiver at some point with the speed.
That's the only way I'd hand out a big time contract like that.
Jones or ARob need to be the priority if we do make that splash. They would have the biggest impact for our team from a winning aspect imo
We are not paying Jones that kind of money. Specially in a league that only have 7 rb's rushing over 1000 yards. And Rushing the ball more doesn't get you more wins in this league, if that were to be the case then the Titans would have won the super bowl. The Titans last year just happen to be in the AFC South, few teams there have weak run defenses.

Well, this has been beaten to dead but again, we don't have enough cap space to "throw money" at top players this year. once again, we're sitting at a bit over 22mill of cap space and 11.9mill of that will go to the draft if we keep all of our picks right where they're at which only leaves about 11mill. At least 5mill you leave for in season moves which leaves about 6mill so people need to stop this fantasy that we're going to get 2 or 3 top players in free agency. We'll be lucky to get 2 or 3 2nd tier players unless that is, we decide to cut several players which of course we'd need to replace.

The other option is to restructure contracts but some of us still remember how bad that turned out for us the last time we did that.

Our defense ranked 6th in the league, and we also spent money on key players last offseason. Our offensive line ranks 28th in the league, so that tells you where our needs should go. We don't have a center, we need a receiver to be our number 1, parker moves to number 2, and we try to use the 2nd round on a slot receiver.

If there is one thing about running backs is that the Dolphins have been trying out different guys in the last few seasons. The common denominator for offensive line issues is none other than our offensive line. In spite of bringing Flowers, and drafting Austin Jackson we basically didn't rank any better than 28th in the league. Our rush blocking wasn't that great either, the only guy who consistently was better than the rest was Hunt. In fact toward the last 6-8 games he was ranking top 7 in league rankings for right tackle; however, he is still better suited to play guard by providing a stronger presence in the inside. This opens up another topic now of course, and that would be free agency, and the draft.

If the dolphins are looking to upgrade their offensive line then they should definitely sign Corey Lindsey, and draft Penei Sewell at tackle. We can then shift Jackson at Right Tackle, and move hunt to RG. This line would be night and day compared to last year, and or any year before. We will have the best center in the league, two young tackles, two solid guards, and this will open up our team in other opportunities such as our running game. There really isn't a need to use free agency to get a running back. If the team happens to care about a specific RB they will probably do so through the draft. We have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds alone, and there are usually gems found in later rounds also if we are smart.

"If" is the key word.

If there is one thing about running backs is that the Dolphins have been trying out different guys in the last few seasons. The common denominator for offensive issues is none other than our offensive line. In spite of bringing Flowers, and drafting Austin Jackson we basically didn't rank any better than 28th in the league. Our rush blocking wasn't that great either, the only guy who consistently was better than the rest was Hunt. In fact toward the last 6-8 games he was ranking top 7 in league rankings for right tackle; however, he is still better suited to play guard by providing a stronger presence in the inside. This opens up another topic now of course, and that would be free agency, and the draft.

We need a stud center I think the Green Bay guy will fit nicely

Personally I think we'll settle for middle of the pack guys as well. Curtis Samuel is likely or maybe Marvin Jones but I can see his price being more. I'm cool with landing either of them but we better not overpay one bit for any of those guys. If we overpaid a million or two for somebody, they better 100% be worth it and guys like Samuel and Marvin are not worth giving in too when negotiating lol

That being said, if we wanted to drop 22 Mil on a player, we can still get it done with no problem at all. So you still can't rule anything out by any means. I believe we can possibly make it even happen without restructuring contracts. Idk how much we'll free up from cuts but we'll free up money then for sure. Some guys are pretty much obviously gonna get cut and we have a few players that are borderline cap casualties right now. McCain for example is one of the borderline guys. He isn't bad at all but he's an upgradable player. Doesn't mean we try and upgrade him immediately if we cut him, we could just upgrade elsewhere if we wanted to. They can very well keep him. He's not the only one on that fence so we have options to free up cap then. Extensions can help free up cap too but restructuring is involved some but if the FO is confident enough to extend a guy then they'll be confident enough to restructure that contract also.

I have no clue what the FO has planned but our cap space will be completely different very soon. Not saying we'll be aggressive and sign a big name but if we wanted too we can make it happen with ease and have money left over.

If we did sign a big name, it needs to be a big time need and on offense. Not a need like edge rusher, our defense is still super solid without a dominant pass rusher so we can draft that or even push back addressing that to next year. Addressing the offense CANNOT be pushed back especially if we were aggressive in FA.

Hell Miami is usually always more aggressive than we expect every season. I understand we have new people running the show. They had a lot of money last year and people knew Miami was gonna sign guys but not one fan expected Miami to be as aggressive as they were last season. Byron Jones kind of snuck up on us the most out of all our day one signings last year

Back
Top Bottom