How Miami will spend their money... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Miami will spend their money...

Someone made a good point that last year Miami used free agency mostly on defense.

Perhaps this year, they spend mostly on offense. The offense could definitely use some veterans, to mix in with the youth.

Center makes sense, either keeping Karras or signing Linsley. The offensive line is so young that a veteran presence would be helpful.

Personally, I think we'll see mid-tier guys.

This is what I think we'll see
Last year the D got vets in free agency and this year it will be the O

I know most people on here want to spend every draft pick on offensive playmakers but it would be wise in sprinkle in some seasoned vets as well

Sign Curtis Samuel
Trade back draft Kyle Pitts
Draft Amon Ra St-Brown
Draft Javonte Williams

Now you have an enought to let tua cook

I agree they will likely look to sign a center if Karras doesn’t resign. I could also see them signing one of the second tier WR’s in free agency but I don’t think they will be willing to spend the money it would take to sign Robinson, Godwin or the other top 5 free agent WR’s.

I think they will stick with Tua instead of trading for Watson and they will use the draft to fill most of the holes they have on their roster. I will be very surprised if they decide to spend huge sums of money in free agency this year. I think they will wait to see how the young players develop next year and they will wait until 2022 to spend more freely in free agency if they think the addition of one or two top free agents will put them in a position to make it to the SB.

If there's money for only one "bigger" FA then in my opinion it needs to be C.Linsley. It won't be a break the bank contract and he'll provide leadership amongst a young group of lineman on top of probowl play.

Well, this has been beaten to dead but again, we don't have enough cap space to "throw money" at top players this year. once again, we're sitting at a bit over 22mill of cap space and 11.9mill of that will go to the draft if we keep all of our picks right where they're at which only leaves about 11mill. At least 5mill you leave for in season moves which leaves about 6mill so people need to stop this fantasy that we're going to get 2 or 3 top players in free agency. We'll be lucky to get 2 or 3 2nd tier players unless that is, we decide to cut several players which of course we'd need to replace.

The other option is to restructure contracts but some of us still remember how bad that turned out for us the last time we did that.
Danny, this is almost a bombshell you are dropping. We only have 6 million to spend on free agents? With the fact we don't have a back up QB signed then we basically have no more money left after that. You have been an advocate to sign Linsley. He is going to cost around 10 million. How would this be possible? Am I missing something? I mean I have seen several articles, and youtube videos about teams who will be big players in FA this year, and Miami is mentioned in all of these. I realize writers are trying to get clicks, but these same guys are not mentioning other teams that don't have the cap space this year to be big players. I promise I am not trying to be disrespectful, but things don't add up for the Dolphins to be big players in FA with only 6 million to spend.

Danny, this is almost a bombshell you are dropping. We only have 6 million to spend on free agents? With the fact we don't have a back up QB signed then we basically have no more money left after that. You have been an advocate to sign Linsley. He is going to cost around 10 million. How would this be possible? Am I missing something? I mean I have seen several articles, and youtube videos about teams who will be big players in FA this year, and Miami is mentioned in all of these. I realize writers are trying to get clicks, but these same guys are not mentioning other teams that don't have the cap space this year to be big players. I promise I am not trying to be disrespectful, but things don't add up for the Dolphins to be big players in FA with only 6 million to spend.
Danny is correct that the Dolphins presently don’t have the cap space to be a player in trying to sign the top tier free agents. The only way they that could happen is by cutting some of their higher priced players like McCain, Grant, Wilson and Horns. They could also increase their cap by restructuring the contracts of Jones, Howard, Parker and Van Noy.

Restructuring some contracts and releasing the players I mentioned could add $30-40 million dollars to their cap this year. I just don’t think they will be interested in trying to add a lot of cap space this year and will be content with just signing a few 2nd tier players.

There is so much precedent against paying a RB. If they back the brinks truck up for Aaron Jones they deserve any criticism that follows.

The only RB i would consider paying is Derrick Henry because his skillset cannot be replicated by any human on earth.

Someone made a good point that last year Miami used free agency mostly on defense.

Perhaps this year, they spend mostly on offense. The offense could definitely use some veterans, to mix in with the youth.

Center makes sense, either keeping Karras or signing Linsley. The offensive line is so young that a veteran presence would be helpful.

Personally, I think we'll see mid-tier guys.

I don't think anyone disagrees.

I do agree with pretty much everything you mentioned and would not be mad if we went all in on the line like that. Signing a big name C and drafting Sewell while only losing Karras should nearly solidify our line for years. We definitely need playmakers big time but the line needs to be addressed some as well if we were aggressive with adding weapons. If we went all out like that to make sure the line is good, we can wait on being aggressive on adding weapons for one more year. Our offense starts with the line especially since we have a youngin under center. Yeah we all witnessed rough Tua moments. We also seen good Tua moments behind a struggling line too. The way he played with that line as a rookie and with a conservative playbook has been slept on by many. He did have a handful of moments when he got the ball out very quickly. He also showed a good amount of flashes of his ability to move around in the pocket to evade the pressure too. The fact he had those flashes like that especially since he learned from Fitz who knows how to play behind bad lines is very good. The consistency to handle pressure will come for him but regardless we need to make sure the line still is built to protect him. Like I said in my initial post tho, Miami had three rookies on the line last season. Kindley and Jackson had their struggles but they also had some very good games too. Hunt definitely looked the most consistent so far. I highly doubt our FO gives up on Kindley or Jackson tho. Only people I see them possibly upgrading this offseason is Karras and Flowers. We'd have to trade flowers this year to avoid a cap hit if we wanted to dump his contract tho so an upgrade at center would be the most realistic this offseason. That being said, does our front office have faith in the three rookies to step up some in year two? If the answers yes, then I doubt they go all out in adding to the line and prioritize the weapons now. We'll still prob sign a cheap lineman for depth and draft one in the first two rounds at some point but they won't go all out if they have faith in those three. If they're worried about them not developing then I could see Lindsey and Sewell. Regardless a line upgrade will happen this offseason, just could be a little upgrade as of now. That is the biggest question mark right now imo tho. With a strong line any RB will play better but we still need to address RB still. Either take a chance at drafting one in the first couple rounds or give the money to someone proven which wouldn't upset me.
Youre on the same page with me tho for sure and I love how you didn't mention any defense as a big priority. We'll still add to the defense some but we have way larger issues on offense. I hope they don't spend a lot of our space on the wrong side of the ball.

I'm with you brother. I don't know what we are gonna draft in the later rounds but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know our offensive line is far from done.

The draft dont end after first rd. I haven't seen one superstar dolphins have draft in first rd
in last 20 yr. So take watson may not be that bad of ideas...

The argument for spending money on defensive free agents and using draft picks for offensive playmakers is this draft is both top heavy and deep with offensive playmakers and less so with defenders.

I am not saying that is how Miami will approach it or should approach it, just that it would be a reasonable approach.

It is good to have options.

The draft dont end after first rd. I haven't seen one superstar dolphins have draft in first rd
in last 20 yr. So take watson may not be that bad of ideas...
Actually since 2008 they have drafted 3 pro bowl players in the first round in Long, Tunsil, and Fitzpatrick.
Long and Fitzpatrick both made all pro also.
So saying the Dolphins haven’t drafted a superstar in round one simply isn’t true. Your criteria for a superstar is obviously a player who is better than an all pro player and I am not sure who would qualify
in that case.

I said I'd love to get linsley but never said it'd be an easy thing to do. Andrews would be a cheaper more realistic goal. The team can create some space by making some cuts but I don't see us being able to spend big this year unless it's al backloaded which can create problems for the future.

Back
Top Bottom