How Miami will spend their money... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Miami will spend their money...

Our defense ranked 6th in the league, and we also spent money on key players last offseason. Our offensive line ranks 28th in the league, so that tells you where our needs should go. We don't have a center, we need a receiver to be our number 1, parker moves to number 2, and we try to use the 2nd round on a slot receiver.
I agree with that but what that has to do with how much/little money we have to spend?

Personally I think we'll settle for middle of the pack guys as well. Curtis Samuel is likely or maybe Marvin Jones but I can see his price being more. I'm cool with landing either of them but we better not overpay one bit for any of those guys. If we overpaid a million or two for somebody, they better 100% be worth it and guys like Samuel and Marvin are not worth giving in too when negotiating lol

That being said, if we wanted to drop 22 Mil on a player, we can still get it done with no problem at all. So you still can't rule anything out by any means. I believe we can possibly make it even happen without restructuring contracts. Idk how much we'll free up from cuts but we'll free up money then for sure. Some guys are pretty much obviously gonna get cut and we have a few players that are borderline cap casualties right now. McCain for example is one of the borderline guys. He isn't bad at all but he's an upgradable player. Doesn't mean we try and upgrade him immediately if we cut him, we could just upgrade elsewhere if we wanted to. They can very well keep him. He's not the only one on that fence so we have options to free up cap then. Extensions can help free up cap too but restructuring is involved some but if the FO is confident enough to extend a guy then they'll be confident enough to restructure that contract also.

I have no clue what the FO has planned but our cap space will be completely different very soon. Not saying we'll be aggressive and sign a big name but if we wanted too we can make it happen with ease and have money left over.

If we did sign a big name, it needs to be a big time need and on offense. Not a need like edge rusher, our defense is still super solid without a dominant pass rusher so we can draft that or even push back addressing that to next year. Addressing the offense CANNOT be pushed back especially if we were aggressive in FA.

Hell Miami is usually always more aggressive than we expect every season. I understand we have new people running the show. They had a lot of money last year and people knew Miami was gonna sign guys but not one fan expected Miami to be as aggressive as they were last season. Byron Jones kind of snuck up on us the most out of all our day one signings last year
I don't know where you're getting this that we can spend 22mill on one player with no problem and still have money left. like I said, after the draft and in season move money we'll have about 6mill left under the cap. Yes you can cut some players which you'd need to replace. Anything is possible but I don't see this 22mill for one player and no problem being realistic.

If Miami starts restructuring contracts, I'd think that's a sign, they are going into F/A with intention to spend. As an article I recently read stated. Miami could have approximately $60m to spend if they restructured Flowers, Van Noy, Jones and others. Not sure that be wise. But it presents an avenue where Miami could create cap space to spend.

I agree with that but what that has to do with how much/little money we have to spend?

With 4 picks in the first two rounds, and the rest of the gems we can find in later rounds then every offensive position in need would be filled through the draft. We need a receiver right? The draft has plenty of them. We need a RB? The draft has plenty of them. I would be happy if we can sign Corey Lindsey, and work everything else through the draft. Then down the road we are gonna have to deal with the contracts of guys like Byron Jones. At the time when we sign his contract we made him the highest paid corner for no damn reason. He's taking almost 20 million in cap space alone, and he isn't even our best corner.

If there is one thing about running backs is that the Dolphins have been trying out different guys in the last few seasons. The common denominator for offensive line issues is none other than our offensive line. In spite of bringing Flowers, and drafting Austin Jackson we basically didn't rank any better than 28th in the league. Our rush blocking wasn't that great either, the only guy who consistently was better than the rest was Hunt. In fact toward the last 6-8 games he was ranking top 7 in league rankings for right tackle; however, he is still better suited to play guard by providing a stronger presence in the inside. This opens up another topic now of course, and that would be free agency, and the draft.

If the dolphins are looking to upgrade their offensive line then they should definitely sign Corey Lindsey, and draft Penei Sewell at tackle. We can then shift Jackson at Right Tackle, and move hunt to RG. This line would be night and day compared to last year, and or any year before. We will have the best center in the league, two young tackles, two solid guards, and this will open up our team in other opportunities such as our running game. There really isn't a need to use free agency to get a running back. If the team happens to care about a specific RB they will probably do so through the draft. We have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds alone, and there are usually gems found in later rounds also if we are smart.

Could also play Sewell at RT. For Tua the right side takes on a different and more importance need covering his blind side and for the level of talent seems logical that if anyone could handle switching places Sewell would be the better. But thats up to the coaches and they're determination, but just saying Jackson could stay where he's more comfortable.
As far as the RB Jones could still be in play due to his expressing he would take less than the going rate to be with the Dolphins.
First spend on OL and Linsley get Sewell or another tackle in FA, freeing up a high pick for one of the other needed holes. But 2 OL a must ! Get a FA WR and 20 mil for anybody is out of the picture and shouldn't be in any discussion by 5-6-7 mil. After the OL pickup and the WR pickup in FA see if Jones can be worked out because IMO he fits like a glove for us and though not that steamroller, does most everything else on a high level and he would be a huge help, IMO.. Though I still am old fashion and love the Brusers that run over people (Czonk, Campbell, Bettis ). Personally the only thing I feel that would detain a Jones if possible would be an out standing MLB to take that cap money.
I have to disagree with your statement that " rushing the ball doesn't get you more wins otherwise the Titan would have won the Superbowl ". Much like an OL a RB fills an essential need to were a good one with a good OL has tremendous value for not only an opponent having to game plan a serious Ground game along with the passing game but also freeing up to a degree a lot of added pressure on a QB.
Ya think coaching staffs didn't spend a large portion of planning and time on Henry ?

Ya Titans great RB didn't win them a superbowl ( which is kind of a major over exageration that that one thing could ) but I'd say it clearly did have a huge effect on all the games they did win. And they were a much better team because of it. JMO

Could also play Sewell at RT. For Tua the right side takes on a different and more importance need covering his blind side and for the level of talent seems logical that if anyone could handle switching places Sewell would be the better. But thats up to the coaches and they're determination, but just saying Jackson could stay where he's more comfortable.
As far as the RB Jones could still be in play due to his expressing he would take less than the going rate to be with the Dolphins.
First spend on OL and Linsley get Sewell or another tackle in FA, freeing up a high pick for one of the other needed holes. But 2 OL a must ! Get a FA WR and 20 mil for anybody is out of the picture and shouldn't be in any discussion by 5-6-7 mil. After the OL pickup and the WR pickup in FA see if Jones can be worked out because IMO he fits like a glove for us and though not that steamroller does most everything else on a high level and he would be a huge help, IMO.. Though I still am old fashion and love the Brusers that run over people (Czonk, Cambell, Bettis ). Personally the only thing I feel that would detain a Jones if possible would be an out standing MLB to take that cap money.
I have to disagree with your statement that " rushing the ball doesn't get you more wins otherwise the Titan would have won the Superbowl ". Much like an OL a RB fills an essential need to were a good one with a good OL has tremendous value for not only an opponent having to game plan a serious Ground game along with the passing game but also freeing up to a degree a lot of added pressure on a QB.
Ya think coaching staffs didn't spend a large portion of planning and time on Henry ?

Ya Titans great RB didn't win them a superbowl ( which is kind of a major over exageration that that one thing could ) but I'd say it clearly did have a huge effect on all the games they did win. And they were a much better team because of it. JMO

That is a misconception about the quarterbacks blindside. Tony Boselli was Mark Brunells left tackle, and he was a lefty. Hell we didn't even change Austin to right tackle when Tua came in. Quarterbacks are suppose to get rid of the ball at a specific time. If anything offenses are inherently right handed. There is an extra blocker on the right hand side aka your tight end. At the end of the day training camp decide who starts at what position. Some players feel better at right tackle because of the placement of their hand. The left tackle at times has to deal with the opposing team's best pass rusher. Sometimes the defense shifts that player against the right tackle.

I agree with what you are saying about free agency. I don't really know if coaching staffs did or not, but if you go back to his 2,000 yard season he had a lot of that yardage against teams with the worst rushing defense. He literally just had 500 yards from the texans alone last season aka their division rival. And about 400 of those yards against the Jaguars. Both teams in the same division, and both teams top 3 worst rush defenses in the nfl. The lions top 5 worst rush defense in the league. 75 yards against the steelers, and about 57 yards against the bills. Both being one of the best rush defenses in the league.

If there is one thing about running backs is that the Dolphins have been trying out different guys in the last few seasons. The common denominator for offensive issues is none other than our offensive line. In spite of bringing Flowers, and drafting Austin Jackson we basically didn't rank any better than 28th in the league. Our rush blocking wasn't that great either, the only guy who consistently was better than the rest was Hunt. In fact toward the last 6-8 games he was ranking top 7 in league rankings for right tackle; however, he is still better suited to play guard by providing a stronger presence in the inside. This opens up another topic now of course, and that would be free agency, and the draft.

If the dolphins are looking to upgrade their offensive line then they should definitely sign Corey Lindsey, and draft Penei Sewell at tackle. We can then shift Jackson at Right Tackle, and move hunt to RG. This line would be night and day compared to last year and or any year before. We will have the best center in the league, two young tackles, two solid guards, and this will open up our team in other opportunities such as our running game. There really isn't a need to use free agency to get a running back. If the team happens to care about a specific RB they will probably do so through the draft. We have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds alone, and there are usually gems found in later rounds also if we are smart.
I do agree with pretty much everything you mentioned and would not be mad if we went all in on the line like that. Signing a big name C and drafting Sewell while only losing Karras should nearly solidify our line for years. We definitely need playmakers big time but the line needs to be addressed some as well if we were aggressive with adding weapons. If we went all out like that to make sure the line is good, we can wait on being aggressive on adding weapons for one more year. Our offense starts with the line especially since we have a youngin under center. Yeah we all witnessed rough Tua moments. We also seen good Tua moments behind a struggling line too. The way he played with that line as a rookie and with a conservative playbook has been slept on by many. He did have a handful of moments when he got the ball out very quickly. He also showed a good amount of flashes of his ability to move around in the pocket to evade the pressure too. The fact he had those flashes like that especially since he learned from Fitz who knows how to play behind bad lines is very good. The consistency to handle pressure will come for him but regardless we need to make sure the line still is built to protect him. Like I said in my initial post tho, Miami had three rookies on the line last season. Kindley and Jackson had their struggles but they also had some very good games too. Hunt definitely looked the most consistent so far. I highly doubt our FO gives up on Kindley or Jackson tho. Only people I see them possibly upgrading this offseason is Karras and Flowers. We'd have to trade flowers this year to avoid a cap hit if we wanted to dump his contract tho so an upgrade at center would be the most realistic this offseason. That being said, does our front office have faith in the three rookies to step up some in year two? If the answers yes, then I doubt they go all out in adding to the line and prioritize the weapons now. We'll still prob sign a cheap lineman for depth and draft one in the first two rounds at some point but they won't go all out if they have faith in those three. If they're worried about them not developing then I could see Lindsey and Sewell. Regardless a line upgrade will happen this offseason, just could be a little upgrade as of now. That is the biggest question mark right now imo tho. With a strong line any RB will play better but we still need to address RB still. Either take a chance at drafting one in the first couple rounds or give the money to someone proven which wouldn't upset me.
Youre on the same page with me tho for sure and I love how you didn't mention any defense as a big priority. We'll still add to the defense some but we have way larger issues on offense. I hope they don't spend a lot of our space on the wrong side of the ball.

We need a stud center I think the Green Bay guy will fit nicely
That is for sure. Could still try and draft a center tho too. As for Flowers, I think we wait to upgrade him next season. We can cut him then and slide Hunt to guard if we need to. Hunt could show up at tackle tho next season too which would be so dope if he becomes that versatile. Then we can be picky on who we add to the right side when we cut Flowers

Well, first off Miami is not going to be a big player in FA this year, so one big name, and a few solid, not nearly as expensive players may be it.

The position Miami knows they can't gamble on to fix, and may have to spend is WR, so Robinson may be a good possibility, but could be too expensive, if that happens, Miami may go to another receiver instead.

An expensive FA RB is not worth it, when Miami can cheaper quality in the draft, so Jones is very doubtful unless he is OK with less money.

We will see soon enough, it's March, and FA is getting closer every day.

First spend on OL and Linsley get Sewell or another tackle in FA, freeing up a high pick for one of the other needed holes. But 2 OL a must ! Get a FA WR and 20 mil for anybody is out of the picture and shouldn't be in any discussion by 5-6-7 mil. After the OL pickup and the WR pickup in FA see if Jones can be worked out because IMO he fits like a glove for us and though not that steamroller, does most everything else on a high level and he would be a huge help, IMO.. Though I still am old fashion and love the Brusers that run over people (Czonk, Campbell, Bettis ). Personally the only thing I feel that would detain a Jones if possible would be an out standing MLB to take that cap money.

Agree with this outside of the 20 Mil for ARob. He's likely the most underrated receiver in the league. Now I'm not gonna do a full court press to sign him at 20 because we still need to focus on other things still but if he becomes very interested in us then I can see it happening. As of now, it sounds like we're gaining interest from a lot of FA so we'll just have to see on that. Tua needs people to throw to and ARob is as proven as they come. if we don't get a big name receiver and have to rely on rookies then we need to prioritize the line a bit and RB for sure. RB still super important like you said. A dominant bruising back who can catch like Jones fits too well. The better our run game gets the easier things will get for Tua also. Pretty much any upgrade with the offense is beneficial to a QB. Tannehill is excelling because of Henry's dominance. If Henry went down, i could see tannehill struggling. We seen that when Ajayi had a solid season with us

Well, first off Miami is not going to be a big player in FA this year, so one big name, and a few solid, not nearly as expensive players may be it.

The position Miami knows they can't gamble on to fix, and may have to spend is WR, so Robinson may be a good possibility, but could be too expensive, if that happens, Miami may go to another receiver instead.

An expensive FA RB is not worth it, when Miami can cheaper quality in the draft, so Jones is very doubtful unless he is OK with less money.

We will see soon enough, it's March, and FA is getting closer every day.
Imo if people think ARob contract is too expensive then most the other free agent receivers will be more expensive than we'd like. Yeah a different FA wr would be cheaper but that doesn't mean they're worth that money. Whatever ARob signs will set the market for other receiver deals. Not all tho so we'd just have to see at that point. I really do like Marvin Jones too but at a solid price. He can knows how to find the end zone. We need guys that score big time. These next couple weeks gonna feel sooooo long for all of us šŸ˜‚

Curtis Samuel WR Carolina. A WR who separates. Reduces need for WR in the draft. I think in the draft, don't be surprised if we look Toney from Floriday, Eskridge from W Michigan, Shi Smith South Carolina. We have 2 big receivers now. Small guys who separate for Tua. I wouldn't be surprised if Grant is a cap casualty, and who knows about Wilson. Hurns is just a guy. So, Parker, Williams(he'll be on IR half of next year anyway) Wilson maybe, Lynn Bowden and 2 picks.
The Center from Green Bay. If we snagged these two guys, made some cuts and restructures, then a handful of depth signings for smaller one year deals.
RB in the draft, OL Depth, the WRs I mentioned, LB's, and defensive depth.
That's my best guess.

Someone made a good point that last year Miami used free agency mostly on defense.

Perhaps this year, they spend mostly on offense. The offense could definitely use some veterans, to mix in with the youth.

Center makes sense, either keeping Karras or signing Linsley. The offensive line is so young that a veteran presence would be helpful.

Personally, I think we'll see mid-tier guys.

Curtis Samuel WR Carolina. A WR who separates. Reduces need for WR in the draft. I think in the draft, don't be surprised if we look Toney from Floriday, Eskridge from W Michigan, Shi Smith South Carolina. We have 2 big receivers now. Small guys who separate for Tua. I wouldn't be surprised if Grant is a cap casualty, and who knows about Wilson. Hurns is just a guy. So, Parker, Williams(he'll be on IR half of next year anyway) Wilson maybe, Lynn Bowden and 2 picks.
The Center from Green Bay. If we snagged these two guys, made some cuts and restructures, then a handful of depth signings for smaller one year deals.
RB in the draft, OL Depth, the WRs I mentioned, LB's, and defensive depth.
That's my best guess.
Samuel is intriguing to me but at the right price. If we did sign him, I'd be all in for Chase at that point. They both would fit nicely with each other imo

Someone made a good point that last year Miami used free agency mostly on defense.

Perhaps this year, they spend mostly on offense. The offense could definitely use some veterans, to mix in with the youth.

Center makes sense, either keeping Karras or signing Linsley. The offensive line is so young that a veteran presence would be helpful.

Personally, I think we'll see mid-tier guys.
Exactly... I don't get why some people think we're gonna target defenders like that in free agency. If that happened our entire defense would be pretty much signed to a solid deal and the offense all on rookie deals. That makes no sense to have all that money invested in one side of the ball

Back
Top Bottom