How Much Clarity Is There Regarding Grier's Past Contributions? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Much Clarity Is There Regarding Grier's Past Contributions?

DiepatriotsDie

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I just moments ago posted for the first time in a few years, so I figured why not go all out and start a thread!

I've seen more than a few posters—not to mention a few tweeting fans, and maybe even a few journalists—express disappointment with the retention of Grier, basing their feelings on some of the roster moves and draft picks of the last several years. But even though I think I remember Tannenbaum making some sort of remark a year or so ago that Grier was taking over the draft, have we ever seen any inside info from a legit source whether or not Tannenbaum wasn't more or less still having final say? I think we've all learned by now to take everything a GM, president, or owner says regarding structure and chain of command with a grain of salt, so color me uncertain.

Also, I've seen Gase's supposed "final say" on the roster defined a lot of different ways. Are we assuming it was a matter of who was retained and who was released, or was it something much more than that?

I'm just trying to decide how much benefit of the doubt I'm willing to assign Grier. From what I've seen and heard the last few years via media, statements from the team, and supposed inside sources, I gathered that most of what we've seen on the field these past few years still had Tannenbaum's fingerprints all over it.

What says you and your gut?

Tannenbaum wasn't a talent scout here. Scouting players, visiting players, interviewing players, breaking down college tape.

The draft of the last three seasons was all Grier. He had final say (with input).

All the good and bad. All him.

Prior to that he was one of many people in the scouting department providing their evaluations on college players to the GM.

Those are the facts we've been told.

As far as Pro Personnel (signing free agents and trades), my gut tells me that was a collaboration between Gase, Grier and Tannenbaum, with Tannenbaum having final say (for the past three seasons).

I agree with KDawg, it was the structure. But Tannenbaum and Gase are gone with Grier the only one left. I think Ross knows who's been naughty or nice.

Yeah. Ross has a long history of showing exactly how to identify problems with the team and hiring and firing the right people at the right time

Got to wonder if those day 3 dt adds in 17s draft saved grier (assuming they were his call)

Feels like ross may not have a clue with regards to recent draft results. Probably just sees the black and white win loss record more than anything else.

In the past the team had too many hands in the cookie jar. Too many opinions. It's been this way ever since Shula retired. The structure was abnormal for a professional football team. This one voice structure is a staple of almost every football team. This was a very much needed change.

Yeah. Ross has a long history of showing exactly how to identify problems with the team and hiring and firing the right people at the right time
l

He is a billionaire scorned that isn't used to failure. I wouldn't bet against him being humble and doing things differently, which essentially means admitting some previous incompetence in the process.

He wants to win badly.

This first chess move was absolutely necessary.

Got to wonder if those day 3 dt adds in 17s draft saved grier (assuming they were his call)

Feels like ross may not have a clue with regards to recent draft results. Probably just sees the black and white win loss record more than anything else.
Can anyone really judge "recent draft results"? Especially 17 and 18.

Difficult for football people, let alone real estate magnates.

Takes a couple seasons (or more) to evaluate a draft class.

Can anyone really judge "recent draft results"? Especially 17 and 18.

Difficult for football people, let alone real estate magnates.

Takes a couple seasons (or more) to evaluate a draft class.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure we can truly judge any of our draft picks for the last 3 years due to the coaching shitshow we have had.

How do we judge guy like Asiata, when he couldnt even get on the field? Is that on the player or the coaches?

We have been terrible at coaching up young draft picks. Unless a kid like Landry or Fitzpatrick comes in and flashes immediately, they dont get on the field. Ajayi couldnt get on the field until Foster got hurt. Drake couldnt get on the field until Ajayi got the boot...

Its the same reason I'm not ready to write off Tank or Gesicki, or ****, any others we brought in that have disappointed.

Let's get qualified coaches in here and then we can grade out the drafts properly.

I’d be willing to bet he was on the positive end of trade down for Lamar Jackson. Grier probably fielded the call, relayed it to everyone, and deal shot down by those no longer in charge.

He's been a part of the organization for almost two decades now - first joining the Dolphins in 2000 as a scout. Some fans wanted to cleanse the organization from top to bottom and considering he's been here since Wannstedt. Grier seems to have the respect of his peers, however, so among the three of them (Gase, Grier and Tannenbaum), Grier is the one I don't mind keeping. Tannenbaum will continue to receive a paycheck for doing nothing, I assume - kind of like Dan Marino's role with the Dolphins front office. The key thing is to have Tannenbaum out of the picture, and that has been done with his reassignment.

I’d be willing to bet he was on the positive end of trade down for Lamar Jackson. Grier probably fielded the call, relayed it to everyone, and deal shot down by those no longer in charge.

I mean there was no trade down for Jackson.

There was a trade down in place with the Saints for a 2019 first and the assumption is Lamar Jackson was in play at that slot.

No guarantee Baltimore doesn’t move ahead of Miami if they got wind of what Miami was trying to do and snatches him up.

With Minkah and Derwin on the board, IMO its like passing on Earl Thomas in 2010. No idea if these 2 become as great as Thomas but its a similar situation.

Trading down with the idea that Jackson would be there is just dumb luck . . . .and Ross isn’t some philosopher for playing fantasy games.

You draft game changing QBs with conviction . . . .not like a mock draft. They still could of had Jackson if they wanted him.

I fault Ross for being so damn gullable. He wants to win so bad, he tends to listen to all the wrong people. He may have finally had enough after what took place with Gase and Tannenbaum. At least now with a one voice approach the franchise stands a real good chance to right all the wrongs. It may take a while, but at least now there is one person in charge. And a football man at that.

Back
Top Bottom