How Much Clarity Is There Regarding Grier's Past Contributions? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Much Clarity Is There Regarding Grier's Past Contributions?

Grier said during his draft press conferences that he ran the draft. He took input but he made final call. He said that in all his draft pre conferences. So he gets credit for 2016 and Blame for 2017 draft. I know he got final say because it was discussed in here that gase wanted that wide receiver from the rams. kupp? I think his name is. Someone else too he wanted that day didn’t get. Maybe that fractured the relationship. Because both players ended up being good. I think the other was a corner. Can’t remember I will have to ask chambers.

My question is how big of influence has he had on drafts from 2015 and before. He had been with this organization a while. We had some stinkers too. Hope he isn’t part of the problem.

Well going forward we at least no clearly who to blame. That has been the problem in the past, a bunch of finger pointing and no one really knowing who had final say in the war room. Although I don't think Grier has drafted particularly well at all, I'm hoping he will be much better in FA than Tannenbaum was with his awful contracts. That is assuming Tbum was the one in charge of FA deals.

I mean there was no trade down for Jackson.

There was a trade down in place with the Saints for a 2019 first and the assumption is Lamar Jackson was in play at that slot.

No guarantee Baltimore doesn’t move ahead of Miami if they got wind of what Miami was trying to do and snatches him up.

With Minkah and Derwin on the board, IMO its like passing on Earl Thomas in 2010. No idea if these 2 become as great as Thomas but its a similar situation.

Trading down with the idea that Jackson would be there is just dumb luck . . . .and Ross isn’t some philosopher for playing fantasy games.

You draft game changing QBs with conviction . . . .not like a mock draft. They still could of had Jackson if they wanted him.

Im not sure that ending up with Jackson was the important part there, but the idea of trading down and getting more picks to build the team with was what Grier wanted.

That said, I'm pretty damn happy we drafted Minkah.

Im not sure that ending up with Jackson was the important part there, but the idea of trading down and getting more picks to build the team with was what Grier wanted.

That said, I'm pretty damn happy we drafted Minkah.

Yeah for sure.

Will pick 29 in 2018 and in 2019 be better than Minkah? Who knows.

I wanted Derwin James but I am good with Minkah.

I’d be willing to bet he was on the positive end of trade down for Lamar Jackson. Grier probably fielded the call, relayed it to everyone, and deal shot down by those no longer in charge.
This is my take as well.

We may never know but now we now for sure it is Griers show and he can be held responsible.

Tannenbaum always seemed to have his finger in the punch bowl regardless of what he said.

A good question and a great response.

It's too late to worry about who was responsible. There is also no question from this point in time forward where the responsibility lies. That in itself makes this a good move. I particularly like the more direct chain of command. It should allow faster corrections to be made when mistakes do occur.

Most of the answers to your question are going to be speculative… so here are my thoughts, and they're nothing more than thoughts.

1. Nobody truly knows
As everyone has mentioned, accountability is not transparent, so at best we are entering the wild speculation zone.

2. Group decisions
At the end of the day, it was clearly a mix of Grier, Tannenbaum and Gase. My guess is that Tannenbaum had a large say on everything, but was most involved in the free agency end of things, including closing the Gase and Suh deals. While he succeeded in those two, the Suh deal was for absurd money, and hurt the team. Then Tannenbaum did what he was guilty of doing before with the Jets--kicking the salary cap can down the road and creating a monster. I give Tannenbaum full blame for that one. Grier on the other hand was also very involved in scouting and acquiring free agents, but spent the largest amount of time evaluating college prospects for the draft--that is his primary area of expertise. Ultimately, the roster was under Grier's control, but with Tannenbaum having Ross' ear, Grier had to get Tannenbaum on board or most decisions would ultimately fail. Gase was definitely the least involved in this process, but with a strong vote, so think of him as the swing vote on everything.

3. Ross has better information than we do
One thing that Ross has shown is that he follows a typical real estate business model. That is going to require people doing their own individual analysis, and Ross is going to know who was banging the table for each recruit, be it a FA or draftee. As time goes on, he will ask his outside consultants to be subject matter experts and evaluate those players performance and fit in Miami, and grade each one. Then he is going to analyze who was banging the table for each of them and determine whose eye for talent is right more often vs. whose is wrong. While we do not know the results of this analysis, we can rest assured that Ross does. While he doesn't know football particularly well, I'm confident that he can get his experts to judge the final product and compare that to his internal notes of who lobbied for each of those guys. That makes it pretty easy to keep score on who is right. Because the only person who still has his job is Grier, and he gained power in the exchange, I think it is safe to assume that Grier had the best record scouting talent.

4. Timing suggests Grier drafts well
Looking at the drafts prior to Grier being named GM and after being named GM, the drafts with Grier as GM are better overall. Whatever influence Grier had when he was promoted seems to have bettered our ability to acquire talent. That bodes well for Grier.

So this is just my speculation, and it has no real information to evaluate, but the scraps of data we have seem to infer that Grier is a better talent evaluator than Tannenbaum … no surprise there. I discount Gase's input because coaches are too busy coaching to become good at talent evaluation. I think Gase was fired because he didn't win enough games, not because of his ability or lack of ability identifying talent. But, it's clear that talent acquisition, talent health, and talent salary cap consequences did hinder Gase's ability to win games. It wasn't everything, nor likely the biggest thing, but it definitely was a factor, IMHO.

Last edited:
Who the hell knows what Grier has and hasn't been responsible for. One of the cornerstones of a shitshow team is minimal organizational structure to maximize scapegoat finger pointing.

It was him. No, it was him. I know none of it's any good but promote me anyway.

:bobdole:

Disagree with #4...Charles Harris, McMillan and Tankersley were the first 3 picks of the 2017 draft...that draft rivaled the 2013 draft for one of the worst in franchise...which Grier was also a part of. He's been GM for 3 drafts. One good, one bad and one mediocre gets you mediocre.

We may never know but now we now for sure it is Griers show and he can be held responsible.

Tannenbaum always seemed to have his finger in the punch bowl regardless of what he said.

This will be the first time in a long time that we can confidently assign credit or blame for roster construction, so that’s a good thing.

It seems that people want to give credit for successes like Xavier Howard while blaming Tannenbaum for Jordan Phillips and Gase for the Denver castoffs and Gesicki. I wouldn’t doubt that the better picks were spearheaded by Grier, but that still doesn’t mean he was worthy of a promotion. But at least there are no excuses now.

I want to know WHERE have all the Gase supporters gone???
They are here hoping we hire the next best coach along with you. Where would they go?

Any coach or qb or player on the team should be rooted on to do well. This business of slamming or calling out posters because they want the team to do well with who is hired is stale. Those sitting on the edge of their seat waiting for Gase or Tannehill or anyone to fail on this team so they can run to this forum to blast others is ridiculous.

if he has been here since 2000 then he is well respected by all the teams that have whupped us.

Back
Top Bottom