How Much Clarity Is There Regarding Grier's Past Contributions? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Much Clarity Is There Regarding Grier's Past Contributions?

How many teams would hire Grier as their GM? I'm guessing one.
That's total speculation. I would definitely say with the lack of minority GM's in the NFL, as well as minority coaches he may be a hotter commodity then many may think. But I'm speculating myself, but I do believe he'd definitely get a shot in this league at the same capacity if we didn't retain him.

I want to know WHERE have all the Gase supporters gone???

I'm still here.

I was and still am a big Gase supporter. I'm still a Dolphins fan. Now if you want to whine about Gase and his supporters, that's your problem. Don't expect me to get involved with any more of these kinds of posts.

One thing that bugs me the most about many of the posts on this board is the constant wailing about how bad we were in the past. The past is gone. We do have a future and I'm am all in on getting better in the future. Whining about a favorite of mine no longer here isn't going to change a thing or help me analyze what is going on before our very eyes.

You are clearly not up to speed on our Coaching situation so let me help you out.

We are getting a new head coach. I'm looking forward to watching the selection process. I don't have a favorite among the currently available candidates, but I will watch and see how we manage the selection and in particular, what our new head coach can do in terms of assembling an effective staff. I've always been interested in team structures and how things get done (or don't get done). Whoever we select will have my support and hold my interest. I suspect whoever we get will be lambasted one way or the other by the Hamsters on this board. I remain an optimist.

Armando says that Ross is not know for his patience. WTF? what do call 7-8 years of Tanny and sucky coaches. he also says the Ds have not been able to find an elite qb for years... LOL as if theyve been looking.

Armando must have been bombarded with memos from D HQs

Unless you work in the building and are part of their meetings, there is zero clarity on any of this. Anyone saying otherwise is guessing.

Can't really put to much in what you see from some fans (emotions make some of them blind), on Twitter (there is hate all over the place over there), or Journalist (Many at times seem less knowledgeable about players and staff then actual fans).

Grier is a very respected football guy, and keeping him (for now) and seeing how he runs a tem without people getting in his ear, is very important to the growth of the team.

Grier is a very respected football guy

Respected by who? According to who? Ross?

I'd probably bet most of the NFL has no idea who Chris Grier is. Otherwise, somebody would've hired him. He's a token minority front office executive that represents part of the problem with the Dolphins. He's the face of the mediocrity. I can tell he's not a football guy just by listening to him speak and the things he says.

There’s a clear path to success and it’s not overly complicated.
1. Clear out garbage players and contracts. RT17 Kiko Branch Quinn Larsen etc.

2. Do not sign a QB.

3. Draft BPA with a preference towards OL DL.

4. Advise your HC we want to see young players develop and we aren’t concerned so much with wins.

5. Gear up for 2-14 and draft Tua.

You'll find out how respected he is by the coach that comes in to work for him. Adam Gase obviously didn't respect him to enough to give up the control to him.

Respected by who? According to who? Ross?

I'd probably bet most of the NFL has no idea who Chris Grier is. Otherwise, somebody would've hired him. He's a token minority front office executive that represents part of the problem with the Dolphins. He's the face of the mediocrity. I can tell he's not a football guy just by listening to him speak and the things he says.

While I don't necessarily believe he is a token executive, I do agree with you that the 'he is a respected guy' line is a bit ridiculous. That's all agent talk and self promotion.

Adam Gase is the most respected man in football, according to media reports. Does anyone actually believe that after what happened here in Miami? While I'm sure there are still some fans of his out there (Peyton Manning, CJ Anderson), I think there are a lot of guys around the NFL looking at this Miami situation and thinking they want no part of Gase as their leader.

Most of the answers to your question are going to be speculative… so here are my thoughts, and they're nothing more than thoughts.

1. Nobody truly knows
As everyone has mentioned, accountability is not transparent, so at best we are entering the wild speculation zone.

2. Group decisions
At the end of the day, it was clearly a mix of Grier, Tannenbaum and Gase. My guess is that Tannenbaum had a large say on everything, but was most involved in the free agency end of things, including closing the Gase and Suh deals. While he succeeded in those two, the Suh deal was for absurd money, and hurt the team. Then Tannenbaum did what he was guilty of doing before with the Jets--kicking the salary cap can down the road and creating a monster. I give Tannenbaum full blame for that one. Grier on the other hand was also very involved in scouting and acquiring free agents, but spent the largest amount of time evaluating college prospects for the draft--that is his primary area of expertise. Ultimately, the roster was under Grier's control, but with Tannenbaum having Ross' ear, Grier had to get Tannenbaum on board or most decisions would ultimately fail. Gase was definitely the least involved in this process, but with a strong vote, so think of him as the swing vote on everything.

3. Ross has better information than we do
One thing that Ross has shown is that he follows a typical real estate business model. That is going to require people doing their own individual analysis, and Ross is going to know who was banging the table for each recruit, be it a FA or draftee. As time goes on, he will ask his outside consultants to be subject matter experts and evaluate those players performance and fit in Miami, and grade each one. Then he is going to analyze who was banging the table for each of them and determine whose eye for talent is right more often vs. whose is wrong. While we do not know the results of this analysis, we can rest assured that Ross does. While he doesn't know football particularly well, I'm confident that he can get his experts to judge the final product and compare that to his internal notes of who lobbied for each of those guys. That makes it pretty easy to keep score on who is right. Because the only person who still has his job is Grier, and he gained power in the exchange, I think it is safe to assume that Grier had the best record scouting talent.

4. Timing suggests Grier drafts well
Looking at the drafts prior to Grier being named GM and after being named GM, the drafts with Grier as GM are better overall. Whatever influence Grier had when he was promoted seems to have bettered our ability to acquire talent. That bodes well for Grier.

So this is just my speculation, and it has no real information to evaluate, but the scraps of data we have seem to infer that Grier is a better talent evaluator than Tannenbaum … no surprise there. I discount Gase's input because coaches are too busy coaching to become good at talent evaluation. I think Gase was fired because he didn't win enough games, not because of his ability or lack of ability identifying talent. But, it's clear that talent acquisition, talent health, and talent salary cap consequences did hinder Gase's ability to win games. It wasn't everything, nor likely the biggest thing, but it definitely was a factor, IMHO.

Thanks and agreed, a good reply to the OP. It gets tiring reading posts with "fans claiming" to know the answers. Or posting side tracking replies.

They are here hoping we hire the next best coach along with you. Where would they go?

Any coach or qb or player on the team should be rooted on to do well. This business of slamming or calling out posters because they want the team to do well with who is hired is stale. Those sitting on the edge of their seat waiting for Gase or Tannehill or anyone to fail on this team so they can run to this forum to blast others is ridiculous.
Thank you, my friend, for making my day. This kind of simple logic is lost on many that post here. Saddest part is that a post like this ACTUALLY has to be written. I am just frightened that a poster had to ask that question and thought that there were other options than being an actual fan of this team. Happy New Year. You actually give me hope that some fans like you still exist

They are here hoping we hire the next best coach along with you. Where would they go?

Any coach or qb or player on the team should be rooted on to do well. This business of slamming or calling out posters because they want the team to do well with who is hired is stale. Those sitting on the edge of their seat waiting for Gase or Tannehill or anyone to fail on this team so they can run to this forum to blast others is ridiculous.

FH post of the month. And it's only the 2nd.

There’s a clear path to success and it’s not overly complicated.
1. Clear out garbage players and contracts. RT17 Kiko Branch Quinn Larsen etc.

2. Do not sign a QB.

3. Draft BPA with a preference towards OL DL.

4. Advise your HC we want to see young players develop and we aren’t concerned so much with wins.

5. Gear up for 2-14 and draft Tua.

I totally agree with 1, 2, 3, and4.

I totally disagree with 5.

Back
Top Bottom