How Much Clarity Is There Regarding Grier's Past Contributions? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Much Clarity Is There Regarding Grier's Past Contributions?

There’s a clear path to success and it’s not overly complicated.
1. Clear out garbage players and contracts. RT17 Kiko Branch Quinn Larsen etc.

2. Do not sign a QB.

3. Draft BPA with a preference towards OL DL.

4. Advise your HC we want to see young players develop and we aren’t concerned so much with wins.

5. Gear up for 2-14 and draft Tua.

This is where I'm at right now. Embrace the suck. Maybe if the team sucks enough, Ross will decide to sell. Maybe if Ross sells, the other New York Bozo who has right of refusal won't be able to get the funding together, and the team will go on the market. Maybe if the team goes on the market, someone from South Florida who actually ****ing lives here and cares about the team will buy it.

You never know.

We need to blow up this mess and try to get the #1 pick this year.

We should trade away or cut any player north of 26 and put some scrub in at QB.

The salary cap is relatively new to the NFL. For any of you that follow basketball- it happens every year. Tanking exists. They are pros as well.
It will be fine. 2-14 sign me up and sign me up for 10 years of Tua.

We need to blow up this mess and try to get the #1 pick this year.

We should trade away or cut any player north of 26 and put some scrub in at QB.
scrub at QB? What do you think we've been doing for the last 20 years?

They are here hoping we hire the next best coach along with you. Where would they go?

Any coach or qb or player on the team should be rooted on to do well. This business of slamming or calling out posters because they want the team to do well with who is hired is stale. Those sitting on the edge of their seat waiting for Gase or Tannehill or anyone to fail on this team so they can run to this forum to blast others is ridiculous.

This. Posters who pull that sort of thing make me want to buy Rosetta Stone products, just so I can learn additional ways to tell them to go **** themselves.

Disagree with #4...Charles Harris, McMillan and Tankersley were the first 3 picks of the 2017 draft...that draft rivaled the 2013 draft for one of the worst in franchise...which Grier was also a part of. He's been GM for 3 drafts. One good, one bad and one mediocre gets you mediocre.
Maybe, but I think we can agree that this is his worst draft and there are still a lot of chapters to be written in that book. After one season Tankersley looked like a great pick … then overconfidence and laziness led to him coming to camp underprepared in his 2nd season and he got burned, started playing timidly and not using his length to press, then he started getting burned repeatedly, then he lost all of his confidence and had an abysmal 2nd preseason, and wasn't even a consideration during the season. Hopefully this offseason will be different, and he'll get back to the grind and build on his first season.

McMillan looked poor early in the season, but he finished this season much better. He is clearly trending up, and while he hasn't looked great this year, it looks better now than it did at mid-season. Another one to keep an eye on as this looks to be changing.

Charles Harris is a bust. I wanted a DE, but wasn't high on Charles Harris. I got talked into believing in him and I wanted to believe … but in the end he was a very explosive first-step guy, but not an elite bend/speed edge rusher, not particularly big, and not dominant against the run. This one is a bust, and I'm comfortable saying that it is not going to change.

Still, if that's your worst, it's not as bad as a lot of Miami Dolphins drafts in the past.

Respected by who? According to who? Ross?

I'd probably bet most of the NFL has no idea who Chris Grier is. Otherwise, somebody would've hired him. He's a token minority front office executive that represents part of the problem with the Dolphins. He's the face of the mediocrity. I can tell he's not a football guy just by listening to him speak and the things he says.

When he was given the GM spot, there were plenty of articles of how respected he was as a talent scout, but you could be right, in fact I actually did contradict myself, considering I don't beleave many of these journalists actually know as much as most fans.

I guess we will see if keeping him pays off...I guess your not a fan of keeping him, so I guess that starts making me wonder a bit. Lol

Very interesting take from Omar.

As I stated previously, you have to wonder why Ross kept Grier around. Then put yourself in Ross's shoes and think reasonably why you would keep him. I think the answer is blatantly obvious.

To Ross’ credit, he knew where everyone stood on every decision made the past few years.

Ross knew who was advocating for what, and why. The hope is that Ross realized in hindsight he should have been listening to Grier and not former vice president of football operations Mike Tannenbaum and coach Adam Gase, who were demoted, and fired on Monday.

It is impossible to say for sure who train-wrecked this franchise, but I do know one thing about Grier that I’m not willing to debate.

He talked all offseason about the Dolphins adding a quarterback to compete with Ryan Tannehill. It was the one theme he carried throughout the entire offseason, then the Dolphins decision makers didn’t do it.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-kelly-column-20190101-story.html

Maybe, but I think we can agree that this is his worst draft and there are still a lot of chapters to be written in that book. After one season Tankersley looked like a great pick … then overconfidence and laziness led to him coming to camp underprepared in his 2nd season and he got burned, started playing timidly and not using his length to press, then he started getting burned repeatedly, then he lost all of his confidence and had an abysmal 2nd preseason, and wasn't even a consideration during the season. Hopefully this offseason will be different, and he'll get back to the grind and build on his first season.

McMillan looked poor early in the season, but he finished this season much better. He is clearly trending up, and while he hasn't looked great this year, it looks better now than it did at mid-season. Another one to keep an eye on as this looks to be changing.

Charles Harris is a bust. I wanted a DE, but wasn't high on Charles Harris. I got talked into believing in him and I wanted to believe … but in the end he was a very explosive first-step guy, but not an elite bend/speed edge rusher, not particularly big, and not dominant against the run. This one is a bust, and I'm comfortable saying that it is not going to change.

Still, if that's your worst, it's not as bad as a lot of Miami Dolphins drafts in the past.
That's a lot of excuses for Tank...quite an elaborate way to defend Grier who's been here since 2000...never learned from good scouts and has been part of this franchise being one of the worst at the draft. He was also Director of College Scouting from 2007-2015...we didn't exactly draft any super stars during that time.

When he was given the GM spot, there were plenty of articles of how respected he was as a talent scout, but you could be right, in fact I actually did contradict myself, considering I don't beleave many of these journalists actually know as much as most fans.

I guess we will see if keeping him pays off...I guess your not a fan of keeping him, so I guess that starts making me wonder a bit. Lol

Just trying to apply some logic to all the fluff. The only redeeming factor with all this is that you know who to hold accountable now.

I think all anybody ever wanted was for someone to be able to step up and say... "It's on me, I'm responsible. Good or bad - hold me accountable".

That would be the first thing out of my mouth to the fanbase if I was the decision maker. He hasn't said that, but at least now you know.

He needs to know soon which direction he's going in regards to a coach and the philosophy they bring - that's the foundation for the type of players they need to be evaluating. And there's a lot of work to do.

That's a lot of excuses for Tank...quite an elaborate way to defend Grier who's been here since 2000...never learned from good scouts and has been part of this franchise being one of the worst at the draft. He was also Director of College Scouting from 2007-2015...we didn't exactly draft any super stars during that time.
Not many GM's who have a spotless track record. I pointed out that the drafts got better when he gained decision making authority. That's a trackable correlation. If we want to analyze the negative, that's fine. Pick a GM without negatives? I don't think there are any. But if you like we can tear them apart too. We agree that this is an inexact science, what we seem to disagree about is our valuations for Grier's mix of hits and misses.

So far you are preferring to focus on the negative--and we both agree there are real negatives. But I think we also agree about Laremy Tunsil, Xavien Howard, Minkah Fitzpatrick, etc. There have been a lot of good picks too, and ultimately the question is how much talent did you get for how many resources. Will there be misses as well as hits? Sure, misses are omnipresent in drafting. But, we've also acquired a lot of talent for our draft resources too.

My point is that when you compare our drafting over the years, this is a good patch and it has gotten better as Grier gained decision making power. We may disagree, but there's a lot worse GM's the Dolphins have had … almost all of them for the past decade or three.

Last edited:
here is what the philosophy should be:

on defense
stop the run all the time
stop the pass all the time

on offense
best running game
best passing game

where are the gase apologists, peeps ask? they are out there wearing cowboy hats.

Chris Grier gets a lot of respect because of who his father is for one...Bobby Grier is credited with the Pat's selecting Tom Brady and the Texans drafting JJ Watt...Now for Chris, he has worked with Parcells, Pete Carrol, Nick Saban and Bill Belichick...plus this...

"Grier is credited with drafting the likes of Dolphins left tackle Laremy Tunsil, cornerback Xavien Howard, running back Kenyan Drake and defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick. He also had a hand in drafting Dolphins Pro Bowl players such as tackle Jake Long, defensive lineman Paul Soliai, center Mike Pouncey, wide receiver Jarvis Landry and running back Jay Ajayi."

I want to know WHERE have all the Gase supporters gone???

I'm one of then as well and still here...He was our head coach, he did some decent things while here....I mean he took a team to the playoffs in his first year that no one expected to go...I supported him like I've supported ever head coach we have had in my lifetime, like I will support every head coach we hire from here on out, as long as that coach is not Nick Saban...seriously **** that guy

Joe Schad just tweeted this eye opening look back at the incompetence of this front office...whoever was making these calls....

Players the Dolphins have traded for in the last 3 years....Kiko Alonso, Byron Maxwell, Julius Thomas, William Hayes, Stephone Anthony, Robert Quinn, Daniel Kilgore & Akeem Spence.

Back
Top Bottom