How To Alienate A Fan Base | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How To Alienate A Fan Base

I was hoping for Lauletta on a trade up in the 4th. One of the NFLN talking heads , maybe Charlie Connerly said that if he played for a Div1 school, he'd have been a first round choice.

Taking him where he was posed no threat to Tannehill either. It would have been the perfect set up.

Brock was a second round pick who did well enough to land a monster contract.

In his first year of that contract he got his team in the playoffs and won the first round. He lost to the Patriots in the second round so no shame in that.

That sounds better than what I think you’d get from a late round development QB. And because he did it there is no projection involved.

None of this year’s top rated QB’s are considered can’t miss prospects. Andrew Luck was and has he really done that much more for his team than Tannehill?

I had a debate with another Finfan about this. How is that the FO and coaching staff sees Osweiler as an upgrade over Moore.
Gase was actively involved in all of Osweiler's early development in Denver, behind Peyton Manning. He knows him and obviously likes him enough to want him here in Miami. Don't forget that Osweiler was in very heavy demand just a few years ago when the Houston Texans paid absolute top $ to lure him from Denver immediately after the Broncos won the Super Bowl. Granted, Osweiler failed in Houston but he went there under some pretty bizarre circumstances where the Head Coach, Bill O'Brien was not on board with his signing. O'Brien has the reputation of being a very difficult coach to play for with his extremely complicated offense - arguably the most complicated system in the NFL. While he had some success with Watson last year (in a very small number of games), the only other QB Bill O'Brien has ever enjoyed any success with, was Tom Brady in New England. I think that it is likely that Osweiler was a bit mentally scarred by the Bill O'Brien experience. It should also be noted that O'Brien used the Osweiler to the Texans incident as the lever to turf out the Houston GM, Rick Smith. Politics was played at a very high level with O'Brien coming out the victor and leaving Osweiler looking bad, as the scapegoat.
The subsequent shuttling of Osweiler to the Browns for a 2nd round Draft pick for effectively $16M was a Sashi Brown financial move to buy a high draft pick. Osweiler never really got a chance in Cleveland before they flushed him back to Denver.
I expect that Gase views Osweiler as a potential resurrection project. Remember, it was only a year ago that the Philadelphia Eagles acquired Nick Foles as a backup QB resurrection project and he went on to win a Super Bowl. Foles had previously had one good season under Chip Kelly and then went on the QB merry go round with stints at the Rams (without success), the Chiefs (as a backup) before coming back to Philly as a backup.

Last edited:
He's good enough to hold a clipboard and bad enough to stay on the sidelines.

And you think that would be a bad thing? I think it would be the best thing to happen to this team in a long time.:thumbsup

Ahh yes, because a rotating door at HC is exactly what's great for a franchise.

Hire a new coach, let him take several years to try to get his guys in here, and then fire him so the next guy can revamp the roster his way.

Osweiler is looked down upon because he didn’t live up to that massive contract. He is not a franchise qb. However, I think he is a decent backup qb. It’s not like we’re winning the super bowl this year anyway so if tannehill goes down, then we will have a high draft pick. It makes no sense, due to our roster, to pick a qb, early when he’s not going to start next year.

I had a debate with another Finfan about this. How is that the FO and coaching staff sees Osweiler as an upgrade over Moore.

It is absolutely 100% accurate. Osweiler has more potential than Moore. He is an upgrade but that doesn't mean he is a starter in the NFL.

In his first year of that contract he got his team in the playoffs and won the first round. He lost to the Patriots in the second round so no shame in that.

That sounds better than what I think you’d get from a late round development QB. And because he did it there is no projection involved.

None of this year’s top rated QB’s are considered can’t miss prospects. Andrew Luck was and has he really done that much more for his team than Tannehill?
Some would point to the fact he’s take his team to the playoffs a few times. I would point out he plays in the afc south.

The plan is obvious. If Ryan Tannehill is healthy, they anticipate having a playoff football team. If Ryan Tannehill's knee blows up again, they are going to take a quarterback in the top 5.

Osweiler is looked at as a bad quarterback because he is bad. I don't care what his team's records were when he played football. He was so bad in Denver that they sent Peyton Manning - who at that point lacked the functional strength to throw a football more than 15 yards - back out into the lineup because Osweiler was utterly incompetent. Houston gave Cleveland a draft pick just to get rid of him. He's awful.

*Disclaimer* This post has nothing to do with Ryan Tannehill.

I think in life, not just football, the most successful people are those who learn from mistakes, and rarely repeat them. This is a fact Tannenbaum, Grier, and Gase, don’t seem to comprehend.

I think most of you have missed the biggest sign of growth and learning by this organization. And it is right in front of you:

We've stopped knee jerking in the draft and trading up. We've stopped getting sucked into taking flashy players or trying to make a splash. Now we go BPA and allow the draft to come to us.

And that is a complete shift in philosophy. This methodology is best for long-term sustained success. And while it may not hit on every need every year, it yields a more productive and stable roster for the long haul. Judge the methodology as much as the picks and you will see a certain level of restraint and intelligence being practiced.

That should be more assuring than any one pick.

The plan is obvious. If Ryan Tannehill is healthy, they anticipate having a playoff football team. If Ryan Tannehill's knee blows up again, they are going to take a quarterback in the top 5.

B.I.N.G.O.

That shows long term planning and a vote of confidence from your owner that he is willing to forgo short term success for long term vision.

I think Gase will get another year or two after 2018 regardless. This year most likely will not be Gases last chance and it shouldn't be Gases fault that the team did not add a more capable back up. That lies squarely on Tbum and Grier. They got taken before we picked is the weakest excuse someone in that position can provide.

They clearly targeted a few QBs at certain points and reading between the lines of the press conference they just missed out on a couple of them drafted right before us.

While I am mad at that, I am happy to see they restrained tbum from trading up at all in this draft.

I also think Gase was in a place where he had to prove to others that the very players they considered their best where the reasons why the team was never going to be successful.

I think he finally won that battle and it is almost like we should look at matters as if this is his first year as HC. I know others disagree and think he has shown enough to be shown the door.

Ahh yes, because a rotating door at HC is exactly what's great for a franchise.

Hire a new coach, let him take several years to try to get his guys in here, and then fire him so the next guy can revamp the roster his way.

People don't understand a process...

That sounds better than what I think you’d get from a late round development QB.

Of course Houston's defense had "NOTHING" to do with them making
the playoffs in 2016

#1 defense in least amount of yards allowed
#2 defense in passing yards allowed
#5 in passing tds allowed
#1 in first downs allowed
#12 in rushing yards allowed

Yet Brock led the offense to
28th in points scored
29th in offensive yards
23rd in 1st downs
29th in passing yards