How To Alienate A Fan Base | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How To Alienate A Fan Base

Minnesota and Spielman are a good example to compare. They have continually worked the draft, picked BPA and built their team. All those years they've not really had a chance to draft a true Franchise QB. When the moment was right this offseason, they made a strong play for Cousins. Is he Manning, Brees or Brady? No. But he can be Top 10/15 and he is a proven commodity. That team is ready for a Super Bowl run for several years. And all because they were patient.

Not exactly the path we are on. But a lesson in patience and not forsaking the team and long term sustained success by allowing the QB position to monopolize all planning.

If Ross is giving Gase long term votes of confidence, even TB, and they are responding accordingly with good strategies.... then I'm all for it. It is the change we NEED. And that's more important than anyone one player.

I said it before, but I'm happy with the back up situation for this reason. If Tannehill goes down again this season, there is obviously a sustained problem and we have to draft our future QB next year, we are unlikely to be in a good position to do that when a back up wins you 6 to 8 games. It's all or nothing for Tannehill next season, no more excuses, but it seems there are already folks wanting to write off his first few games as he gets back up to speed...

I think the backup thing is overblown to be honest. Teams that won a SB having to go to their backups - the Giants with Hostetler, the Eagles with Foles - were simply the best all around teams in football those years. Those same backup guys weren’t carrying a team on their backs like starters often have to do. Someone referenced the Vikings in this thread - great point as Keenum was really a backup and not very good. We need to build a very good team first and then we can worry about who our backup QB is IMO.

It's all or nothing for Tannehill next season, no more excuses, but it seems there are already folks wanting to write off his first few games as he gets back up to speed...

We're two point underdogs at home against the Titans, so generally speaking we are still considered by people putting their money on it, a 7-8 win team.

Jimmy Johnson would never have won a SINGLE super bowl if he was worried about what bystanders were focused on...

Bill Billichek likewise...

Don Shula Likewise...

These guys get paid MILLIONS because they KNOW more about the NFL than casual 'fans'.

Osweiler played well when Gase was with him.

He won more BIG games in one season than RT has at any point in his career so far, BTW.

He played well enough that they benched Manning in that season.

It is a TEAM sport. The WHOLE team needs to play well, stay healthy, & execute to consistently win.

ANYONE can comment on Osweiler without actually having watched ANY of the games he played in, or without understanding 15% of what goes on in an NFL game.

They potentially made the team better with this draft, if RT cannot stay healthy, the REST of the TEAM is now better.

Ahh yes, because a rotating door at HC is exactly what's great for a franchise.

Hire a new coach, let him take several years to try to get his guys in here, and then fire him so the next guy can revamp the roster his way.
No. Getting rid of T-Dumb would do more for this organization than the current HC could strapped to that Jack*** for the rest of his tenure in Miami.

Jimmy Johnson would never have won a SINGLE super bowl if he was worried about what bystanders were focused on...

Bill Billichek likewise...

Don Shula Likewise...

These guys get paid MILLIONS because they KNOW more about the NFL than casual 'fans'.

Osweiler played well when Gase was with him.

He won more BIG games in one season than RT has at any point in his career so far, BTW.

He played well enough that they benched Manning in that season.

It is a TEAM sport. The WHOLE team needs to play well, stay healthy, & execute to consistently win.

ANYONE can comment on Osweiler without actually having watched ANY of the games he played in, or without understanding 15% of what goes on in an NFL game.

They potentially made the team better with this draft, if RT cannot stay healthy, the REST of the TEAM is now better.
I pretty much disagree with everything you just wrote...

It was the end of the line for Moore. Gase didn't like him and it was evident.
Osweiler is one of Gase's guys. He is taller and younger, and a little bit stronger arm. Like Cutlers signing, Gase will tap into his familiarity with the player.
All of the QBs in this draft were underwhelming if you ask me. The 2nd tier guys in this draft were a couple of years away from being a confident starter.
The rationale to go with Fales and Osweiler signals that the team has a mandate to win now.
This team has a 3 year plan. They are not looking further than that.
Can we do well and win a super bowl with RT or back up Osweiler?

Foles wasn't considered a great backup for Philly before he was signed. I think Gase is betting his coaching career on Tanny. You have to admire his resolve on who he thinks his QB should be.

I wanted a trade up in round 4 for Mike White and this draft would have been ideal... but I loved the first two pick and hopefully Baker works out.

This defense is starting to look interesting...best secondary we’ve had in a long time.

First and Foremore I have faith in Gase and our FO because they know so much football than me a single fin fan and I really like RT17 (he is my favorite player in our actual team).

The draft was very good but we could have scored perfectly IMO with a QB pick.

I am disappointed we haven't drafted a QB ( Luke Falk was my favorite) and that is why :

1/ IMO RT17 will be our QB for the next 2 years and this is the right time a young QB must have to learn

2/ Osweiller signed a 1 year deal, he will leave next season ............so if RT is bad this year (cuz he could be not the same player after his injury) we will have to draft a young QB next year but he will have only one year to learn and we would be in obligation to play with RT next season

3/ Falk and ie Rudolph or White was seen like solid teams leaders in their locker room and it's exactly all Gase want in our team .

4/ from France this draft QB group was seen like a solid and depth group............what will be available next year at QB will perhaps not be enough good ?

For all this reasons I was disappointed we don't draft a QB in the second or third day.

opinions

I wanted us to draft a QB so that we could start to develop him. I also didn't want us to reach for one nor trade up for one. If Tannehill comes back 100% healthy then are QB situation is already better than last year. If something goes wrong with him again then this team is going nowhere and we'll be picking high in the 2019 draft.

The plan is obvious. If Ryan Tannehill is healthy, they anticipate having a playoff football team. If Ryan Tannehill's knee blows up again, they are going to take a quarterback in the top 5.

Osweiler is looked at as a bad quarterback because he is bad. I don't care what his team's records were when he played football. He was so bad in Denver that they sent Peyton Manning - who at that point lacked the functional strength to throw a football more than 15 yards - back out into the lineup because Osweiler was utterly incompetent. Houston gave Cleveland a draft pick just to get rid of him. He's awful.

All of this. No one will ever convince me that Brock Osweiler is even in the same realm as competent, he’s absolutely terrible.

If Tannehill gets injured again, and Brock Osweiler is our starting QB, then the season is up in flames and we’ll have a high draft pick next year. That’s just the simple reality of it.

Some possible names to keep in mind, depending on how the college season goes, and should those disastrous turn events come to pass:

• Shea Patterson
• Drew Lock (my favorite QB prospect as it stands today )
• Will Grier
• Jarrett Stidham

It goes without saying, but we need Ryan Tannehill to remain healthy this season. I want to believe that he will come back strong and have no setbacks to the tune that we’ll have a successful season, but there’s always a chance that it doesn’t pan out that way.

The Denver Broncos literally won a super bowl because Osweiler did his job as a backup QB.

He signed a contract with Houston that was a disaster. That doesnt mean squat in his current role.

Brock Osweiler, dollar for dollar, is as good a bargain as our starter is, dollar for dollar. And RT is certainly a bargain.

Developmental QBs are a thing of the past. QBs don't slip through the cracks much anymore. Unless they have a major flaw, usually size or arm strength.

You don't waste draft picks praying for the small chance you end with Kirk Cousins.

Back
Top Bottom