How To Alienate A Fan Base | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How To Alienate A Fan Base

I must have missed it when all the geniuses here were clamoring for Nick Foles last off-season.

I think averages dictates if you go your back up QB for a substantial part of the season chances of success are slim, and that isn’t this debate. If Brock is called on it will be the 2nd straight year Miami’s fate rests in the arm of disgracced failed QBs. Debate Brocks merits if you will, but he was disgraced in the media and fans eyes. The story will be, “they did the same thing last year with cutler. How are we here again?” The story would be more positive if a rookie or 2nd year QB took us to a 2-14 record than if Brock brings us to 6-10 or 7-9.

I like when teams don't go by what fans think of a player like Osweiler. Players can look better or worse depending on what teams or coaching staffs are asking them to do. Sometimes you need to put some of the past behind and say what do we think this player can do in our system. Making poor decisions in one offense doesn't always mean you're going to make poor decisions in every other offense. Sometimes you get lucky and land in one that is easier for you to process and you have a little more confidence in executing. That's why I say just because a player like Brady became a Hall of Famer with the Patriots doesn't mean he would have done the same thing with the Browns. Not saying he would have washed out of the league in a year or two, but he might not have become Hall of Fame Brady. Osweiler may be a decent back up or he may be a complete waste of time, but I see no harm in taking a look and finding out for yourself, especially considering the low cost of his contract.

Cutler and Osweiler are both absolutely terrible QBs, but there's a huge difference between the two signings.

Cutler we gave a free 10mil, strung all our hopes up on him, started making win-now moves like we actually had a chance of winning with him when we should have just played young guys and focused on building for the next year, AND gave a big F U to Matt Moore. Moore may not actually be any better than Cutler, but he did enough for this team to deserve the chance to lead the team, on a cheaper contract to boot.

Osweiler is a backup QB. On a dirt cheap contract. Who you know is terrible, and if you have to bring him in to play you just hope he manages to not outright throw the game for you.

Worry about Osweiler or look forward to the exciting partnerships we have next season. Fitzpatrick and Jones. Howard and Tanks, two new TE's, Drake and Gore...? I'll do the latter

Foles wasn't considered a great backup for Philly before he was signed. I think Gase is betting his coaching career on Tanny. You have to admire his resolve on who he thinks his QB should be.

I admire Pederson: a great coach but also wanted to hedge his bets and take a chance at finding an elite QB. Complete opposite of Gase in almost every way.

If Tannehill goes down we'll see another Jay Cutler type season at the QB position. These guys apparently didn't learn their lesson from last season.
I'm not sure about that DE76. Brock got the job for Denver and played well, he started for the Texans and sucked. Maybe Brock will be a good "Called on" QB. Not a good starter, but one who can come in and finish a game. I certainly fell for the "Cutler played with Gase so he has to be good" crap. But this is another player, he's not Cutler. We just need to see what the kid can do in his present role.

This whole discussion makes me wonder if the Texans and Eagles message boards are being as pessimistic about their QB's with similar (or worse) knee injuries.

Very few teams actually thrive once the starter goes down. It almost never happens when the QB gets hurt in preseason. Personally I think after the hit in Pittsburgh, Matt Moore lost all desire to play. He wanted to hold the clip board and collect the pay check. Osweiler is an upgrade over Cutler and Moore simply because he wants to play and still wants to start. Give Gase a chance to work with Brock and I think he’ll be a competent back up.

Personally I think after the hit in Pittsburgh, Matt Moore lost all desire to play. He wanted to hold the clip board and collect the pay check.
FYI, no one in the NFL this year seems interested in Moore, even as a backup.

I just hope Teddy Bridgewater gets cut in NY and we pick him up.

This whole discussion makes me wonder if the Texans and Eagles message boards are being as pessimistic about their QB's with similar (or worse) knee injuries.

Why would the Eagles care? Thier back up was the SB MVP. I don’t think the Texans is the same boat. Watson missed 3/4 of a season, and is in his 2nd year. Ryan has missed 20 games in a row. That’s 1.25 seasons, and is in his 30s.

It doesn't matter who we have as a backup. Tanne goes down and this season is over. I'd rather maximize our draft pick at that point to find Tanne's replacement, not have some 3rd+ round unknown that historically doesn't amount to squat.

I admire Pederson: a great coach but also wanted to hedge his bets and take a chance at finding an elite QB. Complete opposite of Gase in almost every way.

That’s because the only thing Philly didn’t have was a qb. OL was good, DL was great, secondary was proven.

Rams were the exact same way when they traded up for Goff. Team was stacked and all they needed was a qb.

Miami is none of this and trading everything it would’ve take to get to the top 5 for Josh Allen (LMFAO) wouldn’t benefit this team at its currently constructed state.

I have to disagree. None of these second tier QBs are better than what we have on the roster, so why waste a draft pick?. I also dont like any of our backups but that's what we have. Let's see what the final roster looks like before we jump to conclusions. If a major starter goes down u are usually screwed anyway. There are exceptions ofcourse, but it's very rare to have starters backing up starters.
I agree, besides the poster lost me with the lapdogs. Real men don't own lapdogs!

I think we could end up winning 6-8 with whoever is playing QB which is worst case scenario IMO.

No guarantee we get a top 5 pick if RT gets hurt again

Back
Top Bottom