How To Alienate A Fan Base | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How To Alienate A Fan Base

I had a debate with another Finfan about this. How is that the FO and coaching staff sees Osweiler as an upgrade over Moore.
I guess you lost the debate, because Osweiler is better then Moore. But not by a lot.

I'd have to smoke bath salts for a week straight until I tricked my drug addled brain that I had just won the last 7 super bowls with Ryan Tannehill to pass on Rudolph after he slipped to us in the 3rd. This has a distinct 'remember when we drafted the guy who busted instead of the future stud' feel to it.

I agree OP. Learning from mistakes is not their thing. Having a convoluted power structure that allows people to distance themselves from consequences for dumb**** decisions ... that's what they're all about.

You gotta go Ross. I hate to hope bad things happen to a seemingly decent guy but this team spins it's tires in the mud while he's making decisions. I'd rather my football team be good than some guy I've never met being happy/healthy. Cool with people disagreeing with the premise/thought process. Dude needs to go ... 20 years of irrelevance has got me paying a little too much attention to other teams. Gotta have an owner with a clue.

I will never understand the love for Matt Moore outside of the whole "he's a great guy" thing. That's it because he's a terrible QB and at 5m per year Osweiler is 4m better per year by comparison and it really goes no further than that.

Matt Moore.......:Age; 31 Record: .500 Cmp%: 59.6 yds: 6936 TDs: 45 INTs; 36 Cost: 5m per
Brock Osweiler: Age: 27 Record: .520 Cmp%: 59.2 yds: 6171 TDs: 31 INTs: 27 Cost: 900k per

First and Foremore I have faith in Gase and our FO because they know so much football than me a single fin fan and I really like RT17 (he is my favorite player in our actual team).

The draft was very good but we could have scored perfectly IMO with a QB pick.

I am disappointed we haven't drafted a QB ( Luke Falk was my favorite) and that is why :

1/ IMO RT17 will be our QB for the next 2 years and this is the right time a young QB must have to learn

2/ Osweiller signed a 1 year deal, he will leave next season ............so if RT is bad this year (cuz he could be not the same player after his injury) we will have to draft a young QB next year but he will have only one year to learn and we would be in obligation to play with RT next season

3/ Falk and ie Rudolph or White was seen like solid teams leaders in their locker room and it's exactly all Gase want in our team .

4/ from France this draft QB group was seen like a solid and depth group............what will be available next year at QB will perhaps not be enough good ?

For all this reasons I was disappointed we don't draft a QB in the second or third day.

opinions

I agree with most of what you wrote. As for selecting a mid to late round QB; that's what I was hoping for. My favorite was Mike White.

Looking at how we drafted, I now realize that in the mind of the Front Office the QB situation was pretty much settled because we had reasonable backups in Foles and Osweiler. They are both have NFL game day experience and are familure with Gase and his system. They also aren't eating up much of our payroll. The Front Office said they did consider some of the front running QB's, but not to the extent that they would make a big push to get one.

We have many needs as a team. Grier said they looked at trading up for a QB but the asking price was too high. He was right. There were some good QB's available but none were so overwhelming that overspending could be justified. I am sure that just having had to dump Suh due to his high contract was still in their minds and they did not want to get caught up in that situation again.

I am positive that when a QB is in reach that Gase wants, draft or free agency, we will get him. I am happy that Gase is satisfied with Tannehill and look forward to seeing how the changes in this years team effect their play.

I see some of our posters continually complain about Tannehill and I do not see anything happening that will change their view point. I bet that when we get to the Superbowl, those posters will complain that:
1) We were lucky to get there with Tannehill
2) We would have gotten there sooner without Tannehill
3) We are now stuck with Tannehill because we made it to the Superbowl
4) and if we didn't win the Superbowl it was because of Tannehill

If my response draws a lot of unsubstantiated criticism, it will most likely be from those that hate Tannehill the most. These knee jerk responses are typical of posters whose views are more subjective than objective. This is the way it is with fans. We all cross the subjective/objective line in our rationales. To an extent, this defines fandom.

Jay Cutler was still the only salvageable move Gase could've made in that situation. If you got 2015 Jay Cutler we'd have been in the mix for a playoff spot. Hindsight makes it look easy, but Cutler was the only guy out there that had a chance at keeping things afloat. Unfortunately, and probably the more likely outcome, it didn't come to fruition. Without the $10m investment I think the season is over before it even started, so I didn't and still don't have an issue with the decision. But he's gone now, time to move on.

No rookie Qb has ever won a super bowl. So your asking Gase to do something never done or get out of town.

Brock was a second round pick who did well enough to land a monster contract.

In his first year of that contract he got his team in the playoffs and won the first round. He lost to the Patriots in the second round so no shame in that.

That sounds better than what I think you’d get from a late round development QB. And because he did it there is no projection involved.

None of this year’s top rated QB’s are considered can’t miss prospects. Andrew Luck was and has he really done that much more for his team than Tannehill?

Has Andrew Luck "really done that much more for his team"?

giphy (5).gif

This whole discussion makes me wonder if the Texans and Eagles message boards are being as pessimistic about their QB's with similar (or worse) knee injuries.

We are the Miami Dolphins. Where anything is possible, except consistently winning

If Tannehill goes down we'll see another Jay Cutler type season at the QB position. These guys apparently didn't learn their lesson from last season.
exactly what were they supposed to do this year? i'll give you the floor- make your move and show us what the coaches and FO missed:

*Disclaimer* This post has nothing to do with Ryan Tannehill.

I think in life, not just football, the most successful people are those who learn from mistakes, and rarely repeat them. This is a fact Tannenbaum, Grier, and Gase, don’t seem to comprehend.

Adam Gase’s tenure in Miami is being defined by his back up QB. I personally don’t think that is fair, as it’s hard enough to find one good QB moreless two, but fair or not it’s his plight. His starter has started 13 games, and his back ups 20. Most fan bases and owners are forgiving when you lose your starter, as it’s the one position that defines a football team. Adam Gase however conceded that right when he brought polarizing Jay Cutler our of retirement to Miami. Cutler was exactly who everyone knew he was, and in one season undid the respect Gase garnered with a playoff appearance in year 1.

Now it’s 2018, Cutler is gone, and Ryan is healthy. A fan base is willing to forgive, and is hopeful for a repeat of 2016. Enter Brock Osweiler! The only QB more maligned than the cancer that is Jay Cutler. The only QB whom A team has parted with a 2nd round draft pick to get off the roster. Hopefully Ryan is fully healed, and ready to be the iron man he was for 4 seasons, but after not playing for 20 games that’s a huge gamble. With the conclusion of draft, and all top free agents gone, it appears Gase is going to roll the dice with Brock. A move that if is forced to the field will most likely result in Mike, Chris, or Adam, hitting the unemployment line.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Amen brother......Now i know there are some realistic posters on this site who see the truth and nothing but the truth.

Quick question for everyone.

How many games do you think Dan Marino in his prime would have won with the 2012 Dolphins?

Same scenario but with the 2017 Dolphins?

With the 2012 Dolphins it is hard to say. That defense was ok but not great. The offense was downright awful. Below average O-line with garbage at WR and a below average running game.

With the 2012 team Dan might have won 10 games but most likely that team would have been bounced out in the 1st round even with Dan at QB. Philbin was an awful coach and the team just lacked talent overall.

The 2017 team had a below average defense. Better offensive line overall than the 2012 team and better WRs. Drake and Ajayi would have been more productive with a QB like Dan. I think with Dan at QB that team could have beaten any team in the AFC other than maybe the Patriots. However as shown in the Super Bowl that Patriots defense was mostly hype without much substance. The Dolphins with Dan at QB may have won 13 games taking home field from the Patriots. Dan would have torched that Patriots defense and playing in Miami, where Brady has struggled often, the Patriots offense would not have been able to keep up.

In the Super Bowl much like Brady, Marino would have found a lot of holes in the Eagles defense. The Dolphins defense on a neutral field probably struggles against that Eagles offense. I think it would have been close one decided by a FG. Dolphins pull it out 38 to 35

Can't wait to see how, a hopefully healthy Tannehill does on this team. I think people are really underestimating the Dolphins this year. Also people forget so quickly how awful Cutler was in 2017. Teams had no respect for him beating them downfield. Completely neutered Gase's offense.

Guess Gase can take blame for bringing Cutler in however the options were limited at that time. Also believe that Gase really wasn't aware of how far Cutler's arm had fallen off at that point.

If Tannehill does go down in 2018 would the team once again be in the same situation with Osweiler as the backup? Maybe so. Osweiler's accuracy has been awful. His arm is much better than 2017 Cutler. Overall we really don't know for sure who would be worse. Would the Dolphins be bad enough to get a top 5 pick in 2018 if Osweiler had to start for a significant period of time? Maybe.

If Teddy Bridgewater does get released by the Jets, would the Dolphins try to sign him? How long would it take for Teddy to learn the playbook. That would be an important question. They most likely would cut Brock if they sign Teddy. Brock already knows the playbook and has played in Gase's offense before. However Teddy is the better QB. Another concern though would be relying on two QBs coming back from knee injuries. Could be a tough decision for Gase.

Very doubtful IMO that any of the QBs available in day 2 or 3 of the draft would have really been a better option in 2018. I understand some fans really wanted to see a young QB taken for the team to develop. The draft just fell where the guys making the decisions felt players at other positions were better options. Only time will tell if they were correct.

I am excited for the season to get underway. Hopefully someone like Bridgewater becomes available and hopefully they seriously consider signing Johnathan Hankins or sign another veteran DT.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom