How to tryout for the Miami Dolphins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How to tryout for the Miami Dolphins

It's possible. I seen an NFL Network special where Dick Vermiel held a local try-out and a scrub, who played 7-on-7 Semi-Pro Flag Football, was signed to a contract, however, I believe a team must invite you to a workout.

Your best bet would be to tryout for the Arena Football, Arena 2, or the CFL, and hope to get noticed.

dolphan8055 said:
well thats teh thing i dont know...I have a tariner that specializes in football i only played highschool but am 6'1 380 pounds and am very evry strong

:eek:Wow you are a big boy, maybe you can take over at nose tackle when Traylor leaves.:fatman:

I'd try semi-pro first. 6-1, 380 ???? You plan to play DT ? What are your workout #'s like ? (Bench, Squat, deadlift,40 time (if you know it))

If you play well at semi-pro, try sending videos out to various teams.

DaBearNY said:
Maybe someone else can help...but I remeber reading that Bernie Parmalie was delivering for UPS, then a few months later was on the Dolphins roster....(I have no valid facts here)....but, I heard that he went to a Dolphins open try out many years ago and thats how he landed on the fins. Can anyone validate this?!!! http://images.finheaven.com/forums/icons/icon5.gif

Thats correct. However Parmalee had a decent College career. He took one year off and then was signrd by the Dolphins.

Parmalee was a four-year starter (1987-90) at Ball State where he remains the Cardinals' all-time leading rusher with 3,483 yards and 26 TDs. He also caught 96 career passes for 812 yards and three TDs.

FinFrenzy said:
Bernie Pamalee did he used to work for UPS :wink:

That very misleading...

Bernie did, in fact, play 4 years of college football (unlike the poster, who's never played beyond high school), and was an undrafted free agent.

He was signed by Miami (kinda like Kay-Jay Harris was an undrafted free agent).... Before he was signed, he had gotten hired as a UPS guy.

Also, that was 14 years ago (1992), and the NFL gets more and more competitive every year....

Canadian_FinFan said:
Thats correct. However Parmalee had a decent College career. He took one year off and then was signrd by the Dolphins.

Parmalee was a four-year starter (1987-90) at Ball State where he remains the Cardinals' all-time leading rusher with 3,483 yards and 26 TDs. He also caught 96 career passes for 812 yards and three TDs.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!:D

1334 said:
Sorry I can't help you out, but what I can help you with is how to sit on the couch and eat chips and drink beer and WATCH the dolphins play! Good luck to you. I think if you are good enough, a team will find you.

i'm an all-pro at that....my wife + kids vote for me every year!:goof:

dolphan8055 said:
well thats teh thing i dont know...I have a tariner that specializes in football i only played highschool but am 6'1 380 pounds and am very evry strong i give myself 2 more years of strenth straining and then try to get a shot but i dont know any routes to take to get the tryouts going.but for those of you who are rooting for me if i make it ill get you guys tickets lol
How strong ? And......why are you waiting 2 whole years ? Seize the moment, by getting on the field if possible.

DaBearNY said:
Maybe someone else can help...but I remeber reading that Bernie Parmalie was delivering for UPS, then a few months later was on the Dolphins roster....(I have no valid facts here)....but, I heard that he went to a Dolphins open try out many years ago and thats how he landed on the fins. Can anyone validate this?!!! http://images.finheaven.com/forums/icons/icon5.gif

Not with a link, but it's true. The Phins, in the past did hold open try outs but I don't know if they still do.

# 1 ask your old high school coach to reccomend you to a coach he is friends with, you need experience and you may have all you college eligability left. Call the U.
#2 if you are out of eligability for college, I would call Drew Rosenhaus(probably can google him and get his office #).If you have skills he will make time for you.
#3 I would practice long snapping, all day everyday.

Good luck, I am pulling for you.

Scrap said:
How strong ? And......why are you waiting 2 whole years ?

You probably just answered your own questions.
Here's my guess as to the actual answers:

How strong?
Not very (by NFL standards)

Waiting 2 whole years?
To get stronger (by NFL standards)

Eric Swann, who was a Pro Bowl D-Lineman for the Cardinals in the late 90's was a piano mover, and the Cardinals owner used him and loved his size, so he gave him a tryout and then signed him...If i can remember right, he didn't go to college, but i may be wrong....but he turned out to be a hell of a D-lineman....so i think it's possible, but semi-pro wouldn't hurt....

If your already that big and if your dedicated go try out for an arena team in ANY of the arena leagues then take those highlight films and put them to good use. Arena leagues and canadian leagues have open tryouts all the time just have to find out when and where. JUST REMEMBER ONE THING I AM NOT SAYING YOU CAN OR CANT MAKE IT TO THE NFL BUT JUST REMEBER THAT JUST BECAUSE YOUR BIG AND STRONG DOESNT MEAN YOU HAVE THE SKILL TO PLAY AT THAT LEVEL

Michael Lewis of the Saints was a beer truck driver and the next week was returning kickoffs, he made the Pro Bowl that year too. Yeah there are tryouts but not sure if every team holds them but with you being 6'1 380 pounds it won't be too difficult making an NFL roster.

Back
Top Bottom