How to tryout for the Miami Dolphins | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How to tryout for the Miami Dolphins

Scrap said:
He said very strong though. The reason I ask is because (and I'm not sure if anyone else remembers this) Manuel Wright only got 225 up 16 times on his bench before Miami got him. I got that 2 months ago at 200ish pounds. At 380 if he's "very strong", he could be as ready (strength-wise) as he needs to be.

Yes, he said "very strong", but he also said he wanted to wait 2 years....... If he was truly "very strong" BY NFL STANDARDS right now, then he wouldn't be waiting 2 whole years to try out.

Also, remember, this is a guy who hasn't played since HIGH SCHOOL.
Also, he didn't say WHEN in high school that was....maybe he played 9th-10th grade and quit.... Or, maybe, he played all 4 years, but never above 2nd string.... That's my educated guess of course.

If he was a stud in high school, he would've gotten recruited in college. Or he would've mentioned that he was a stud in HS, and got recruited, but couldn't go because of grades, etc. But he didn't say that....

dolphan8055 said:
well thats teh thing i dont know...I have a tariner that specializes in football i only played highschool but am 6'1 380 pounds and am very evry strong i give myself 2 more years of strenth straining and then try to get a shot but i dont know any routes to take to get the tryouts going.but for those of you who are rooting for me if i make it ill get you guys tickets lol

You should be playing at a junior college to gain experence, or aleast a semi pro team in a small league. It's not too late to go the college route though, which is what you should do. You can send in a video, and try out at league sanctioned combines, which are of course, on a much smaller scale than "The" college combine in Indy. Unfortately, size ad athleticism plays just one role. You above all else, need to be great AT FOOTBALL! Just look at Brock Lesnar's failed attempt at joining the league. The only reason he got a shot was because he was relatively famous. Good luck though.

What you could do is call Dolphins headquarters and tehy will ask you to send them video footage of you playing. Then if they think you are worthy you will get an invite to a tryout. Even if you are really good with no College you probably have a 1% chance.

Good luck. Get some video of you playing football.

during your 2 years of training, you should play alot of running sports, soccer,basketball, ultimate frisbee, team handball, sports that require a lot of running and change of direction. Find a running partner, bring a football, and run laps around a football field while going out for passes. You will be suprised how much further you are running and the pass catching routes will also increase your heart rate boosting your overall cardio fitness.

You need 3 things.
Get football stronger, get football faster, get football smarter.

You are blessed with great size, and great drive. You have a plan and a goal.
Keep going forward and don't listen to anyone negative, they will only dump on your dream.
Good luck I am in your corner.

Scrap said:
He said very strong though. The reason I ask is because (and I'm not sure if anyone else remembers this) Manuel Wright only got 225 up 16 times on his bench before Miami got him. I got that 2 months ago at 200ish pounds. At 380 if he's "very strong", he could be as ready (strength-wise) as he needs to be.

The bench press really isn't an accurate gauge for strength in some cases. People with long arms have a clear disadvantage. I don't think any of the offensive lineman Manny was pushing into the backfield last year would call him weak...

6'7" 245lbs here! Had planned to tryout for my local arena team around where I live then they just picked up and left. Go figure!

If your dream is to play NFL football then dude by all means do it. As far as players that make it on the team without being drafted or college players it happens alot. They all have tryouts, trust me when I use to live down in florida I had gone to watch a couple.

Mile High Fin said:
Yes, he said "very strong", but he also said he wanted to wait 2 years....... If he was truly "very strong" BY NFL STANDARDS right now, then he wouldn't be waiting 2 whole years to try out.

Also, he didn't say WHEN in high school that was....maybe he played 9th-10th grade and quit.... Or, maybe, he played all 4 years, but never above 2nd string.... That's my educated guess of course.

If he was a stud in high school, he would've gotten recruited in college. Or he would've mentioned that he was a stud in HS, and got recruited, but couldn't go because of grades, etc. But he didn't say that....
I wish him the best. The clock is ticking though. If he wants to play at the NFL level in two years, he should be ready to play at semi-pro level now (Or quite soon). That trainer probably can't teach him what he can learn on the field.

dolphan8055 said:
Hello all i am on a vigourous workout plan that will last for two more years i want to get into 100 percent tip top shape and i am only 21 i would liek to know if anyone has any information on how to accomplish to get a tryout with the Miami dolphins or an NFL team i have googled it a million times and cannot find anything even remotely close to help me. Nublar i hope you have something...:dolphins:

Honestly bro - You really have no shot (Right now)

I would try out for some semi-pro or Arena teams and go from there...

Also - no pun intended - 380 pounds is a lot at 6'1" I would try to lose 30-40 pounds.

Do you have any work out numbers handy? Like your 40 time and how many times can you bench 225 etc etc?

usf dolfan23 said:
The bench press really isn't an accurate gauge for strength in some cases. People with long arms have a clear disadvantage. I don't think any of the offensive lineman Manny was pushing into the backfield last year would call him weak...
I agree that it doesn't mean everything, but it is a measure of upper body strength that the NFL looks at. One that I would imagine a walk on (with no video proof of how he plays at any level above HS) would HAVE to be tested for. If they tested Manuel, then they would be crazy not to test this guy as well.

I know this is going to show up as my first post (and i know how people feel about that:rolleyes:) But i have been coming to finheaven everyday for nearly 2 years. I had to respond to this one alot of people are giving you great suggestions, but mile high is giving you even better, MOTIVATION!

Mile high do you work for an nfl team, or maybe a big time college program, because you seem to know everything, people do walk onto teams in all sports all the time. Do you think every player on d1 football team was found or do think maybe a few actually worked their butts off to walk on. Im not saying its easy but that doesnt mean it cant be done.

Sethdaddy8 said:
You should be playing at a junior college to gain experence, or aleast a semi pro team in a small league. It's not too late to go the college route though, which is what you should do. You can send in a video, and try out at league sanctioned combines, which are of course, on a much smaller scale than "The" college combine in Indy. Unfortately, size ad athleticism plays just one role. You above all else, need to be great AT FOOTBALL! Just look at Brock Lesnar's failed attempt at joining the league. The only reason he got a shot was because he was relatively famous. Good luck though.

Not to discredit the famous part but Brock Lesnar is also an amazing athelete with physcial strength that is unreal. The only problem was he didn't know the basic mechanics of football. And the main reason he didn't make it was a motorcycle accident. Did you hear about what he did in a scrimmage game against the Chiefs?

Scrap said:
I agree that it doesn't mean everything, but it is a measure of upper body strength that the NFL looks at. One that I would imagine a walk on (with no video proof of how he plays at any level above HS) would HAVE to be tested for. If they tested Manuel, then they would be crazy not to test this guy as well.

Totally agree, I just don't think people should get too hung up on the numbers unless they are extremely slanted one way or the other.

NCDolphinfan said:
Not to discredit the famous part but Brock Lesnar is also an amazing athelete with physcial strength that is unreal. The only problem was he didn't know the basic mechanics of football. And the main reason he didn't make it was a motorcycle accident. Did you hear about what he did in a scrimmage game against the Chiefs?
Tell us. I really don't know.

Start writing letters to any & every football team....NFL, Arena League, semi-pro, etc. That is your best hope. Maybe try to contact an agent...good luck, its gonna be tough!

Mile High Fin said:

EXACTLY HE DIDNT SAY THAT SO HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT HIS SITUATION WAS YOU HAVE NO IDEA SO QUIT BUSTING THE KIDS BALLS AND EITHER ANSWER HIS QUESTION AND TRY AND HELP HIM IN HIS QUEST OR GO TO ANOTHER THREAD SIMPLE AS THAT

Back
Top Bottom